DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 today, Having a couple problems with it, hopefully someone can help me with. Appreciate it folks!

#1 (biggest problem)The truck jerks/hesitates/shutters(kind of feels like a misfire)when under 2k rpm, above 2k rpm it feels like its brand new from the factory, the problem is also less apparent when o/d is off. I dont think its a sparkplug/wires/coil problem because its only under 2krpm

#2 The check engine light flashes at me, but when I connect my scan tool I dont get a connection, the scanner does not even try to connect, the obd2 port isnt delivering power to the tool.

#3 the brakes "shutter" when I slow down

#4 Gear selector is very sloppy and doesnt correspond w/ PRND12, I have to count up and down when shifting

· I'd rather be riding...
607 Posts

· Black Sunshine!
1,048 Posts
i got the same thing with my braking your you 100% on it being warped rotors? just wana know what i have to do i fix it its not bad yet
thks

· Registered
67 Posts
#1 might have a dead spot in your TPS, reseasonably cheap replacement
#2 is the IOD fuse (fuse #11) iirc.
#3 also agree on warped rotors
#4 not a single clue

· Registered
13,580 Posts
#1. definately change spark plugs, cap, and rotor. mine done the same exact thing. when o/d was shut off the problem would go away. done tune up and fixed problem.

#4. mine also did this once. you need to go right under the dash on drivers side and find a cable that is attached to the steering column. Move it around and watch the little shifter icon on your dash, then shift the lever and see which way you need to move it. It should fit into a groove already made and will put it back on track. Mine had popped back out of the groove just enough to mess it up.

· Registered
225 Posts
#1: I agree with the TPS...might just need to be cleaned if it has a dirty spot
#2: replacing the #11 fuse helped my problem there too
#3: Could be a frozen brake caliper...I had new rotors put on and had the same issue, replaced the calipers and it was good...way more expensive than the rotors though
#4: I just had to jiggle the cable a bit and it seemed to have popped into place just from that

· Binksman
175 Posts
#2. You should also be able to check codes by turning the ignition key on and off a few times (search the website for this, its been gone over before) and the codes should display on the dash. On my 96, the check engine light blinks in code. I'm not sure how a 98 would display.

· Registered
608 Posts
1) It may well be the plugs failing to fire, they're most likely to do so with a dense mixture in the cylinder at low speeds, when the breakdown voltage of the gap is highest.
2) this is probably caused by misfire detection, which the PCM decides by 'shudders' in the rotation of the crankshaft, not by actual failure of the plugs to fire.
4) the gear selector runs through a vertical link at the bottom of the steering column, to a little bellcrank on the frame rail under the driver's footboard, then another link that goes back to the selector arm on the side fo the transmission. All the joints have little plastic bushings in them, check that they haven't worn through or fallen out of their holes.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome i really appreciate the feedback guys. if everyone was closer Id take you all out for beeers! haha.

But I have one more quick question. When the truck is idling, and I remove the oil fill cap, and place my hand over it, there is ALOT of vacuum, this would be the plenum gasket, correct?

· Registered
2,172 Posts
You should have vacuum when the engine is running.

· Registered
608 Posts
Leave the oil cap on, pull the PCV valve out of the rubber grommet, plug the PCV and hole in the grommet with your thumb, or the engine will race (this is what generated the vacuum you felt), then see if the vent hose on the other side is blowing or sucking, you can block it off for a few seconds, then see if there's any pressure, there should be some. This test doesn't pick up small leaks, so the only way to be sure is to lift the throttle body off and look for pooled oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.