DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With racing season over,and his 68 Impala needing tranny tweaking and finding it tougher to get faster without gutting out a street car,still 3800 lbs and very streetable with an aluminum headed 14.0 to 1 468. He was in limbo deciding to let me start on a S10 truck I posted about a few months back (maybe longer) but also thrown around the idea of a chassied Cavalier like the ProStock NHRA boys run (slower of course).

We had just about ditched the cavalier project,for the S10 because it was already in our possession,but after talking to a few of his friends he heard of a BLUE Drag Dart for sale along with a few other cars from a family whose Gear Head Dad and Son had gotten killed in a car wreck.........very very sad,I remember racing the dad in his purple tunnel rammed duster one cruise nite and putting a few car lengths on him with my small block 408 street 67 Impala which really surprised him. After some pondering and number and money crunching,he decided to buy the 68/69 Dart drag race car that had previously had a 500 something CI RB engine running high8's/low 9's in the 1/4.The car has full aluminum interior,pro style chassis and parts,he is unsure of the rear being a Dana 60 or an 8 3/4 but I will look it over as soon as I can. The family selling didnt know exact year so I will have to help figure it out but was told by bro its 68/69 which is exactly what I want.

The Impala was running 10.90's 1/4 already with some 6.9 1/8th miles but to get any faster (not including the tranny tweaks) we would either have to place it on a serious diet,OR Build a 540 or so stroker big block..........so the car will be left alone for occasional bracket events and a few street tromps and cruise nights.

This Blue car pics below is what he described to me since I havent seen it yet,but plan on getting a real good shot and all the info 110% with my own eyes. He said he knows who bullt the car for these men,and the same man has a Badass Hemi drag car himself (will try to find pics) so we know its in decent shape.We will be looking for an engine to assemble for a mild combo to get the car running and sorted out like a 400 low deck with 440 crank or soemthing similar depending on what we find.

Here is basically what we are getting minus a few items and parts of course........real pics to come. Enjoy,and if anyone has a lead on RB parts please let us now,we live in Chevy country over here.

· Registered
1,454 Posts
yes, keep us posted on it.

the 68/69 Dart drag race car that had previously had a 500 something CI RB engine running high8's/low 9's in the 1/4.The car has full aluminum interior,pro style chassis and parts,he is unsure of the rear being a Dana 60 or an 8 3/4 but I will look it over as soon as I can.
with the running in the high 8's or low 9's it will more then likely have a dana 60 under it.

a late friend of mine and his late brother ran a 3600lbs duster with a small block and when the car got to the mid 10's in the 1/4 they couldn't keep a 8 3/4 togeather under it. they went through so many high tech parts to keep that 8 3/4 under it because of the big weight difference between it and a dana 60 but they eventually had to go with a dana 60.

· Registered
25,139 Posts
Cool, Good luck Brain. Its in your blood and you cant get away from it. :)

· Registered
25,139 Posts
Brian_RO said:
yes, keep us posted on it.

with the running in the high 8's or low 9's it will more then likely have a dana 60 under it.

a late friend of mine and his late brother ran a 3600lbs duster with a small block and when the car got to the mid 10's in the 1/4 they couldn't keep a 8 3/4 togeather under it. they went through so many high tech parts to keep that 8 3/4 under it because of the big weight difference between it and a dana 60 but they eventually had to go with a dana 60.
My uncle runs a 64 Polara with a stroked 400 in the 10's and he has ran a 8 3/4 for years and never broke it....I guess hes lucky....

· Registered
563 Posts
Glad to see that you are going with the Dart. My father and I run 68 Dart small block car that goes mid tens consistently but it has been 10.30. We run a 8 3/4 and have had no trouble with it. I'll also add that we leave off of the trans brake at 4500 rpm's. I know the Dana is stronger but I think that the 8 3/4 can handle alot more than people think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.