DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I just joined the forum because the Missus and I bought ourselves a 1984 D150 (Slant 6).

I confess that I don't know much about engines but am fairly hand (generally speaking) and have a decent set of tools.

The seller said that the head gasket is leaking a little oil (I've since cleaned the engine to get an idea of how much) and that the truck may not pass emissions here in Colorado. The tailgate opens only after moving a little tab on the right latch, but otherwise the truck appears to be in great shape.

I noticed while cleaning the engine that a small hose has been disconnected and a nail has been used to plug it (see photo). I don't know what it goes to, but I suspect it has something to do with emissions since it's near the air cleaner. Anyone know what it is and where it should attach and why it might have been disconnected?

Also, I bought a new latch but am unsure about how to replace it: do I need to also unscrew the handle to provide some slack for the rod to the latch?

Lastly, I bought a set of E3 spark plugs to save on gas and up the HP a little. Any reason why I should install these (or try to)?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

IMG_9714.jpeg IMG_9753.jpeg IMG_9754.jpeg

·
Registered
137 Posts
No idea on the line, I would advise you to find a vacuum diagram or the catalyst tag under the hood (I forget when those began) as your roadmap before starting.

Emissions in CO I know jack about. Do you need to be smogged? Or just everything present? Many places the law varies by year -- define your problem for yourself before you try to solve it (you may know in which case disregard.)

Nice truck!

Tailgate tab is a release for when the handle for whatever reason does not actuate the latch. There is a handle, a latch, and a rod -- the connection of handle and rod or rod and latch is likely unhooked. On that year I think the handle will unscrew from the inside of the tailgate & the latches can be unscrewed and removed on the sides of the tailgate. Gotta pull parts and see where the mechanical linkage is not connected. Not sure but likely plastic clips to hold the rod to the controls...

E3 plugs I avoid personally. Many motors prefer the standard style copper -- I don't think that simple isn't quality -- nor that simple isn't optimal. High end stock type components in my mind are often the best on a stock engine. Unless I know better I use that as my basis for parts selection. Sorta like roller cam motors seem to prefer (and are also compatible with) synthetic oil. Flat tappett motors hate synthetic, even with zinc added (story behind that)... That's a bit deep but on your truck you WILL want to run conventional type oil. Ideally a zinc additive will also prolong the life of your camshaft... You didn't ask but now I'm on a tangent... Anywho, I've run E3 on mowers and stuff, that being where I first encountered them- it's likely that influences my opinion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts