Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,
New to the forum. I've been reading it occasionally. But, this is the first time I've needed to post up regarding a question.

Truck: 02 Dakota Ext Cab. 4.7L auto, 4x4 with ~ 62K miles.

Issues:
1.) For a while I was getting loud hesitation when I'd put her in gear for the 1st time after starting her up. Usually on chilly mornings. I'd suffer through it until it shifted into 2nd and it'd be fine for the rest of the ride. The loud hesitation sounded like it was revving high (Tach didn't indicate high reving).

2.) This seems to happen whenever I go look at other vehicles usually happens within the first 20 minutes of a ride (doesn't have to be a cold, or 1st start ride). Truck shudders and feels like the auto wants to stall. It doesn't. It studdered for an entire light cycle and then bogs down with no power until I generally get across the intersection and then it kicks back into normal. I've tried putting it in nuetral and it still studders. I've tried giving it some gas and it still shudders when the RPMs go back to idle. Idle does not jump or move during the shuddering and shows normal operation during the entire incident.

3.) Check engine light's been on for a few years. When initially diagnosed, I was told it was a bad o2 sensor. That was replaced and the puter was reset. Didn't take long before it came back. I've had the code checked at every oil change and service and it comes back with the same code. Hasn't hindered operation (unless it's now causing the 2 issues above).

She's scheduled to go in for the 60K mile service soon and I'd like to have some ideas of what it could be before I let the dealer have at her. I was told a few years back, the 2nd gen Dakotas had "issues" with the auto tranny. Could this be what I'm running into? Would a general Tranny flush and 60K service resolve the issues I've been experiencing?

I've had the truck since it's had .5 mile on it. I haven't taken the best care of her and have neglected/postponed some things due to financial/timing issues. I guess it's finally bit me on the ass.

There are other issues. But, they're cosmetic and I can most likely do them myself.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know it off the top of my head. Might be on the last oil change receipt. But, I'm at work and won't be able to check until tonight.

I remember the guy said it was either the o2 sensor or a leak in the exhaust.

·
01RC2WD4.75SPD
790 Posts
ok next time your in the truck turn the key quickly to these positions,

off
run
off
run
off
run (leave it there).

your code will appear in the odometer window, let us know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, I had no clue. Thanks.

P 0051

Is there an online resource where I can look up codes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the code (found my old Haynes manual). Code is "Upstream o2 sensor heater circuit low (right cyl bank)".

I don't think that has a bearing on the shifting, tranny issues though.

I checked the tranny fluid 3 times while the engine's cold (hasn't been ran in 13 hours). The pink fluid level shows the pink fluid on the dipstick all the way up past the "HOT" marking. Could it be there's too much fluid in the tranny?

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
your first problem is common to all 4.7L with the 45RFE tranny. While there is debate on the reason, I am 99% certain that it is due to the torque converter draining while sitting for long periods. This results in a torque converter taht is only paritally filled with tranny fluid at startup. Since the torque converter is a fluid coupling, a partially filled TC will not properly transmit torque. This is why you have a loud noise and lack of power. Once you drive far enough, the torque converter fills enough with fluid to start properly tranmitting torque. I would not worry about it cause it is the norm for all vehicles with your tranny. I have had the issue since day one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rgrgr, thanks.

Would that also account if I'm sitting at a stoplight nose down that it might drain a bit and cause the same thing?

Although that's a different feeling.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
nope that is probably just your fan clutch kicking on when you are stopped in traffic. Definitely a different feeling, but that will cause a loud hmm and some loss in power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, this ins't a humm with loss of power. It's like the clutch doesn't want to fully engage. Feels like it it does when you're driving a srick and coming to a stop and don't put the clutch in. That moment of drag and hesitation and shuddering.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
have you done the key trick to look for a code?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
canyonD said:
have you done the key trick to look for a code?

Yeah, 0051 - o2 issue. But, that's been the same code for years. I have it reset, looked at, new o2 sensor and all that. Code sticks around.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
oops. sorry for not connecting that earlier. You really need to address your o2 sensor problem. That can indeed cause bucking and weazing like you describe. Codes should not be ignored.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wasn't ignoring it. It's been the same thing every time they try to "fix" it. I go in for the 60K here in a couple weeks. I"ll have them see if they can "fix" it again.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
sorry, didn't mean to accuse you of being negligent, but if the shop you are going to cannot fix the problem, you should find a new shop. O2 sensor problems if left unaddressed can cause bigger problems over time.

·
01RC2WD4.75SPD
790 Posts
Yep I agree, remember that there are a few of these sensors down there, maybe they are just not catching the right one or there is a ground problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.