Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, yes i am new.
The last Dodge I owned was 1994 white sport 4x4 Crew (w/318). I loved the truck but as with all brands I had small nick picks. It got poor mpg, the A/C was not very strong and the seats were the quirky tweed seats.
My 2007 Crew F150 FX2 w/4.6 is lucky to get 13-15 city and 17-18 HWY I have a CAI with the edge and it tows like crap even with 3.73's
I am looking at getting the 2009 Sport /crew 4X4 and have a few questions. I just got a 2003 jeep liberty for my daughter so...
Please be honest and not just brank loyal. Yes all comapanies have problems...Though I love the look of the truck.....
1. the 5-Speed Automatic 545RFE Transmission I know over the years that has been a big weak link. How are the trannys now.
2.what is the true MPG with the 3.55's beacause I will not tow alot but when I do go to a car show or 2 I will have a 6500 load.
3. How good is the warrenty on the brand...
4.Comfort in the rear area.. I have family riding alot...

Any and all honest info would be great

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
1. From what I have read, the tranny is still the weak link in the system and is out dated by Ford and Chevy. I have the 09 crew cab with 3.92's and it is pretty good, though I can see 4.10's being better. 3.55's might not be good enough.

2. I've been disappointed with the 3.932' and 20" rims. I get 13.5mpg and this is trying hard not to speed, etc.. I literally tried to keep the RPM's under 2K for a whole tank of gas and I barely averaged 14.5mpg.

4. The back seats are awesome and roomy. I have a buddy who weights 350+ pounds and I have never seen him get into the back seat of any car. the other day, we went on a road trip and he sat in the back on the way there and back. I specifically asked him if he was comfortable during the trip and he told me it was the first time he was comfortable in the back of a vehicle. My 2 yr old looks like she's in a small mansion back there. Another bonus, heated seats in the back (if you have that option) :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well I am certainly not brand loyal, I hate everythig, lol.

1. The tranny is somewhat outdated because realistically its a 3 speed auto with 2 overdrives that are too close together. I don't know what Ford's 6 speed auto is like but the GM 6L80E is garbage, pure and simple. Bigger gaps between shifts than the old 4L60E it replaced and does nothing but shift up and down constantly. Tap shift is useless and does not respond to driver input. In that respect I like the 545RFE, but it could be updated.

2. I have 392's as well and the MPG thus far is junk. I get 15.2 US mpg driving like a grandpa and staying at our 62 mph ( 100 km/hr) speed limit with pure highway. I am currently convinced my truck is staying in open loop and never using MDS because my tach bobs up and down steadily at cruising speed on flat ground and my tailpipes blacken quickly. The power is not to be complained about but the mileage is pretty dismal for a 345 cid engine that is supposed to cruise on only 1/2 it's cylinders. I am seeing I am not the only one whose mpg is crap so at least I am not alone.

3.Chrysler's warranty has been decent to me in the past but so has GM so realistically I have no problem there.

4. The rear in the crews is awesome. Extremely roomy and comfortable. Your family will not complain, it's a very nice ride. The heated rear in the crews is a nice touch too, but that's only on the Laramies.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
I have a 3rd Gen, you are looking at a 4th Gen, but alot of what I can tell you is relevant.

1. The 545RFE has proven to be a reliable tranny, the old 4 speeds were not all that great. While I don't think it should be in a 2500 in a 1500 it is a good tranny and very dependable. I have the same tranny in my truck and love it.

2. My MPG right now sucks. 12.1 but that also includes 3 to 5 min warm up before I drive it as well as winter fuel blend, which has always killed my milage no matter what I drive. But I have gotten 16.5 on a roadtrip with a not fully broken in engine. But with towing 6500 you will want the 3.92s. No to little loss in milage.

3. Warranty is the best in my opinion. Lifetime on drivetrain (engine, tranny, and axels). Im buying the lifetime bumper to bumper ($1200) option, before the 3yr 36,000 bumper to bumper factory runs out.

4. I can't comment on rear seat room, but the one crew I sat in I was comfortable in.

·
Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound
2,277 Posts
The fuel economy of the '09 is going to be worse than previous models ('06-'08). Thats why Dodge started using the 3:21 ratio. You cant add 40+ hp to a truck that has the same tranny, same gears, and similar weight, and expect to get better fuel economy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents.

From what I have seen in the past, the 545rfe is certainly not the most reliable transmission but has gotten MUCH better over the past couple years. No catastrophic problems I have seen on our jeep forums (our grand cherokees with the v8s use the 545rfe) except a $200 solenoid that likes to die once in a while, much less frequently than I've seen in the past. If you are buying it new, you have a lifetime powertrain so I would not be worried about that part at all.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents.

From what I have seen in the past, the 545rfe is certainly not the most reliable transmission but has gotten MUCH better over the past couple years. No catastrophic problems I have seen on our jeep forums (our grand cherokees with the v8s use the 545rfe) except a $200 solenoid that likes to die once in a while, much less frequently than I've seen in the past. If you are buying it new, you have a lifetime powertrain so I would not be worried about that part at all.
Are you guys 100% on that lifetime thing on the 09's. My truck is 5 years 100000 kms on the powertrain and 3 years 60000 km on the rest. I can buy extended warranty on the truck but not for life. Maybe though like our Sports up here actually having body colored grilles that lifetime powertrain warranty is a US thing only.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
Yep, mine has a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain, they started that in 07 or 08. It might only be a US thing, but I didn't think it was.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
The fuel economy of the '09 is going to be worse than previous models ('06-'08). Thats why Dodge started using the 3:21 ratio. You cant add 40+ hp to a truck that has the same tranny, same gears, and similar weight, and expect to get better fuel economy.

Everything I have read says the 4th Gen gets better mileage then 3rd Gen. That was a main engineering point for the 4th Gen.

VVT Cam timing, More aggressive MDS, Better Aero, Lighter Weight. All helps in the mileage. The sticker says 14-18 a similar equipped truck as mine in an 09 model. My sticker said 13-17. The 14-18 is comparable with every other truck out there.

Also 3.21s are only offered in 2WD models.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yep, mine has a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain, they started that in 07 or 08. It might only be a US thing, but I didn't think it was.

Must be US only. I see it around on the LX forums but I don't think it applies to Canadian sold models. Not that I care, I will void it anyways.

Everything I have read says the 4th Gen gets better mileage then 3rd Gen. That was a main engineering point for the 4th Gen.

VVT Cam timing, More aggressive MDS, Better Aero, Lighter Weight. All helps in the mileage. The sticker says 14-18 a similar equipped truck as mine in an 09 model. My sticker said 13-17. The 14-18 is comparable with every other truck out there.

Also 3.21s are only offered in 2WD models.

Real world so far the fuel economy sucks and it seems to be a theme. My mothers 06 gets way better mileage than mine or any other 09 on here it seems. I can kill that 06 in a race but I don't really care that much. I race cars, not pickup trucks. Trucks are as close as they get, hers is a quad cab 4x4 Laramie with 392's as well. I should have researched this better as I just assumed my truck would be similar to hers or even better with the mentioned upgrades. So far, not so much. And by reading everyone elses fuel economy numbers I am not alone. Live and learn.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
Well if you are Racing already maybe that is your problem with the Milage :D:D:D j/k

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
How many miles? I saw a big jump in MPG's in my 08 Liberty when I hit 6000 miles.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Truck runs too rich, MDS never seemingly must be activated and mileage has mattered little on any vehicle I have ever owned. It's got issues so I will just start making calls when I get home again. If it doesn't I will send it down the road and buy something else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.