DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Afghanistan a couple of weeks ago and started working on the new paint job. I have put about 200 hours into it over the last three weeks to get 'er done.

Matte black with gloss black racing stripes.

Before:

After:

·
Gearhead
93 Posts
Sweet! What kind of paint did you use? Happy 4th

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
That Is Awesome!

·
Ramman
1,599 Posts
Looks Great!

I've been wanting to go flat black for awhile now. Why so many man hours? Did you have body damage? I'd like to paint my truck, but not if I'm looking at 200+ man hours.

A-bit off topic from your ride, But I was thinking of a "stealth" theme myself.

Flat-Black, all blacked out. Yellow "Warning" vinyl on select spots. Like " HOT " on the hood vents, " INTAKE " on the hood scoop, "FUEL" next to gas door, " Pull to EXIT " next door handles, " Fire Extinguisher inside" . Pilot names below each window, or just driver oor, and so on.. I want to use the MOPAR Airforce logo too, like on the end of the bed.

something like this ,,

Opinions.. please

·
Registered
291 Posts
awesome love the paint.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks Great!

I've been wanting to go flat black for awhile now. Why so many man hours? Did you have body damage? I'd like to paint my truck, but not if I'm looking at 200+ man hours.

A-bit off topic from your ride, But I was thinking of a "stealth" theme myself.

Flat-Black, all blacked out. Yellow "Warning" vinyl on select spots. Like " HOT " on the hood vents, " INTAKE " on the hood scoop, "FUEL" next to gas door, " Pull to EXIT " next door handles, " Fire Extinguisher inside" . Pilot names below each window, or just driver oor, and so on.. I want to use the MOPAR Airforce logo too, like on the end of the bed.
Yeah I had some hail damage on the roof and hood. I could have cut the hours down by not primering it and blocking it but I figured I might as well do it right.

I like the idea...let me know if you have any "do it yourself" questions.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
WOW that truck is sweet looking!

:ylsuper:

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Some Recons on the back end and it'll be perfect. Nice truck man!

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
ken..great to see you back and great stealthy look...

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Nice! Looks like something Mad Max would drive in the Road Warrior movies.

·
Official HEMI SPORT Owner
1,359 Posts
Old air force logo with MOPAR on it is too cool to the touch!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
First of all thanks for serving!!

Awesome looking truck, exactly what I'm looking to do with mine. I've been so busy lately with my stroker that I've completely negelected the body of my ram, crashing it into a guardrail when doing burnouts like the idiot that I am didn't help either!!:)

Now that the engine is running ok, it's time to fix up the body, your style is exactly what I was looking to do with mine even up to the racing stripes!!

I know a bit about body work but never did any of it, if you could give me a kind of step by step that would be awesome! Since I suck at paint and stuff I tried going the easy route and use the matte black car wrap vinyl, but that exercise ended up with a really expensive ball of sticky crumpled car warp vinyl thrown in anger in the corner of my workshop and me with foam on the lips from anger and frustration!

I'm guessing it goes a little like this:

- Clean the old paint

- Sand it down (what grit, wet or dry?)

- Repair any dents,... (what filler product did you use, what final grit to sand the filler down?)

- lay down primer (what type, maybe even the proportions paint/thinner/hardener?)

- sand the primer (what grits, especially the final grit you sand it with)

- lay down the matte black (blitzblack I read earlier but what proportions paint/thinner/hardener, how many coats?)

- wet sand the matte black ( if this is even necessary)

- mask out the gloss stripes (any tricks to this, where did you measure from,...)

- paint the gloss stripes (paint, proportions,...)

Lot's of questions, but my small experience with body work has learned me that small details like sanding paper grit or thinner proportions can make or break a project like this.

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
The flat paint is so over worked these days. At least it has some glossy stripes to break it up.

I just don't like the look of flat cause of the crap primer jobs. It's just looks unfinished to me... at least for gray or black.

Plus the up keeping of it.. man.. don't let it stain wiith water drops!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.