DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Dodge with the 5.2 318c.i....I'm thinking about getting the hypertech programmer and a new ignition either jacobs or msd. Has anyone ever run the jacobs iginition? I was thinking of either the prostreet or the mileage master kit, any opinions.

Also, i live right in the middle of the central valley in CA so two more questions....1. Will running the hypertech programmer and a jacobs/msd ignition allow me to pass smog still?...and 2. will this make my engine run any hotter to where i'll need to upgrade my cooling system in any way? Only other mods are a custom air intake and a flowmaster cat back exhaust. Thanks for any input or opinions guys!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Consider the
Pertronix's "Second Strike"
or the
MSD 'Stacker' ignitions'
which allow you to keep the existing factory 'long duration spark' and add short intense CD discharge sparks.
Best of both types.
Also less likely to leave the truck dead on the side of the road, since two systems are sparking.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
I personally think aftermarket ingtions are a waste of money on a near stock motor. Id invest the money for an aftermarket ignition in some other performance parts.

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
v10sport said:
I personally think aftermarket ingtions are a waste of money on a near stock motor. Id invest the money for an aftermarket ignition in some other performance parts.

I've heard that same thing. that an aftermarket system is not going to give much of a gain at all. I've heard replacing the wires and installing a brass cap, rotor, and plugs is worth it though

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I've always had some other mods before I did the ignition so I can't say how much it would help on a stock motor. They do help though. I run an MSD setup on my 360 and it really helped out.

As far as Jacob's, is your truck a daily driver? I had a Jacobs Pro Street Ignition on my '97 318 and it was by far the best ignition system I've ever used. The power increase was awesome! Problem is that I wouldn't recommend it on a daily driver. After about 15,000 miles it really starts causing some problems. Had it happen with both my '97 and '02. So if you don't drive often and race it the Jacob's is great, otherwise I recommend the MSD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAs anyone heard of Performance Distributors Firepower Ignition Kit? It comes with the new rotor cap, coil, wires etc? Any goods or bad? who else sells a kit like this that's worth looking into. Ive heard some things about the jacobs that have made me rule that one out!

·
pakrat
18 Posts
I have the performance Distributors Firepower Ignition on my 2500 4x4 318.....works great, direct replacement of stock parts however the wires will not fit in your stock wire guides because of there size. (Diameter larger) You will have to re-gap the plugs to a larger gap. (im still experimenting with the gap)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pakrat said:
I have the performance Distributors Firepower Ignition on my 2500 4x4 318.....works great, direct replacement of stock parts however the wires will not fit in your stock wire guides because of there size. (Diameter larger) You will have to re-gap the plugs to a larger gap. (im still experimenting with the gap)
so what did you notice after putting it on? was it an easy install? any better mileage or power? i'm not worried about the stock wire guides, easy fix....mainly looking for a lil more power and a lil better mileage....what gaps are you running now?

·
pakrat
18 Posts
Noticed a slight improvement on mileage, not to sure on performance gains because I also ported the throttle body the same day. Plug gap now is .50 need to pull a cpl. and see how they are burning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.