DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey eveybody, im new here. Been watching these forums for a while and decided to register. I have a 1998 dodge ram 4x4 extended cab short bed, with a 360 and an automatic. My upgrades are Pole lights, bed rails and new tires. Been thinking about my upcoming christmas bonus and am thinking on getting a full dual exhaust sytem and a super chips. My question is, how much power can i expect from these two upgrades, maybe along with a cold air intake? Thanks in advance.

·
TROLL'N THROUGH
29 Posts
Welcome! When I put the shaker on my truck, which is essentially a cold air intake, it did make a noticeable difference. The superchip really made a big difference. My mother (70 yrs old) was using my truck when I put in the superchip program because she had her Intrepid totaled and was waiting for a new vehicle. SHE even noticed a big difference! She said it had a lot more pep and seemed to shift a lot smoother (automatic). If she can notice the difference, I must be on to something! Another nice thing about the superchip is that I was able to recalibrate the speedometer to compensate for the bigger tires I put on. No more going 4-5 mph faster than what the speedo said.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
Reallly I don't know how much HP you will gain from exhaust, a little not alot. That said my pipes are my favorite thing I've done to my truck, LOVE the roar!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
you will gain no hp from any of the mods But ..... you release what hp you have
well the super chip might give you some hp think its like 12 to 25 hp if you have other mods done to it, Remember your engine is a big vacume and the faster and more air you can push/suck through it the more hp/torc you can release here is alike to all the info you need
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102303&highlight=myths+magnums

good luck :whackit:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, i was hoping to be able to make 300 horsepower with this stuff mostly from the superchips but thats probably a bit high lol.

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
Yeah, 300hp is a bit on the high side for what your doing. Keep in mind that 245hp is at the flywheel. I think were only getting 205hp at the wheels. I might be wrong and it actually might be lower than that.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
wirenutt1969 said:
Yeah, 300hp is a bit on the high side for what your doing. Keep in mind that 245hp is at the flywheel. I think were only getting 205hp at the wheels. I might be wrong and it actually might be lower than that.
Yeah thats about right I think. I've heard right at 200 at the wheels before.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
welcome!

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
bobem12 said:
Yeah thats about right I think. I've heard right at 200 at the wheels before.
with the mods I have, it was guesstimated by my ET and weight that I'm only getting about 200 to the tires.

If you are spending the money for a superchips, do yourself a favor and get a custom PCM flash instead. More gains, and about the same cost ($350).
I'm not a fan of piggy back 'programmers' like the Hypertech and Superchips, but I wish someone would have mentioned this to me before I bought my Hypertech PP III (which I sold).

edit: and for the exhaust get a high flow cat setup from magnaflow. All stainless cat & y-pipe, well worth the $150 in performance and sound.

http://www.hottexhaust.com/search_r...arch=&subcat=111-bottom&iLevel=2&txtCatName=2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.