DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New here, need advice on potential buy

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  little_yellow 
#1 ·
Hey,
I'm new to these forums, so hello! I am considering buying a 99 1500 4x4 locally. It has 98,xxx miles, 4x4 hasn't been used very much, and it runs very well. It is a short bed, single cab all stock, and the body is in very good shape other than 2 or 3 dents here and there. Is there anything specific to this year or model I should be looking for, other than normal wear and tear? If/When/After I buy this, my budget will be fairly tight at first. In the long term, I hope to make this truck more "me" with tires, a lift, etc. but in the short terms what should I get done at first to make sure it stays a reliable and dependable truck in the future? Thanks guys! :D

#3 ·
Check out the front end, Axle ujoints are most likely bad. Track bar is another issue. Was the plenum repair done(Hughes kit). Rear brake line next to the tank rusts out along with the tank straps. Check the bottom of the doors for rust. No need to go to edmunds, we know all the issues with these trucks.

#6 ·
If it's the 318, it better have the 5spd. If not, go find a 360. No point in dealing with the bad autos and have the weaker engine. The 5.2 is very reliable and tough but low on power. Check all front end parts, plenum, steering, get it hot and listen for ping, go off road and check the 4x4. Treat it like any used truck and you should be fine.

#7 ·
the 5.2 was rated at 230hp and 330ft.lbs of torque. the 360 was rated at 245hp and 330ft.lbs of torque.
not seeing alot of hp difference to warrant ignoring a truck.
performance wise a 360 will make more power. but stock to stock the 318 is a great engine.

#18 ·
more fluid does keep it cooler but a transmission cooler is much more effective for cooling then a deeper pan. a cooler paired with a pan will be best but doing just one a cooler is going to be much more effective. a deep pan will likely only lower your temps a few degrees. in the end the oil is still all sitting in the bottom of the transmission soaking up heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.