DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks, although I really love my new R/T...it needs a better rumble to it! I looked at the Dynomax catback system, it's around $560. But I guess the question I have is the 'cross over' pipe important? Why can't I just run straight duals from the cat to the rear. My local shop could do that for less then $300 bucks....Will I lose that much torque not using the "cross over or x pipe" ????

Thanks in advance :gr_patrio

·
Registered
205 Posts
why would it be so much more for the crossover? Can't the local shop just add a cross over for $50 or whatever amount it would be?

The crossover equalizes the backpressure on both cylinder banks. It will smooth out power and maximize torque. However; a set up without crossover has that cool gurgle of the old muscle cars.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dantodd said:
why would it be so much more for the crossover? Can't the local shop just add a cross over for $50 or whatever amount it would be?

The crossover equalizes the backpressure on both cylinder banks. It will smooth out power and maximize torque. However; a set up without crossover has that cool gurgle of the old muscle cars.
No, I guess what I was trying to say is why the cross over. Even in my younger days working on my 68 GTO, we were always told a cross over would help boost torque....I am going to ask my guy tomorrow that exact question.."Why not add it" he was against it at first..but who knows.
The only thing I don't like about some of the cat back kits are they have to dang many parts...ie. the muffler and the scond little muffler..whats the point, aren't we going to COOL NOISE :rck:

·
Registered
89 Posts
A word of caution, most magnum owners who have added just mufflers without a resonator have gone back and add resonators due to the 1800 to 2200 rpm drone. This is my guess why most catback systems have 2 mufflers and 2 resonators. Borla has a system without the resonators and the report is their is some drone. I have the Flowmaster and it sound great without any drone. The X or H pipe will also quiet down the exhaust a small amount.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The resonator (little after muffler) changes the tuned length of the exhaust system and that changes the sound. Often the exhaust system has a natural frequency which puts a drone into the system at highway speeeds in top gear. The resonator gets rid of this annoyance. Difference tube diameters and muffler/catalyst combination/placement change the exact speed.

actually the little second muffler (resonator) makes 3 pieces in each exhaust side. first a catalyst (required for emissions) then a muffler, to muffle the sound, finally the resonator to eliminate drone and fine tune sound.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had duals on my SXT magnum and there was a drone, but I didn't mind it at all. I love the sound :cool: So I am thinking of just running the cat/mufflers/tips..all in the same size of 2 1/2 inches

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
dantodd said:
The crossover equalizes the backpressure on both cylinder banks. It will smooth out power and maximize torque.
Bingo.

dantodd said:
However; a set up without crossover has that cool gurgle of the old muscle cars.
I think that must depend on the individual system installed, as mine has quite the beastly burble and I have the stock X in place. I really need to get an audio clip put together now that I have a web cam setup with sound.

My muffler guy was similarly gung-ho on X-pipe pieces. He showed me a piece he used on Vettes and said it was good for 10 hp on its own. It was an $80 part and he said it would take him a day to make one and it wouldn't be as good as the CNC-made unit. Thats why they cost so much: Because the mfr's know they can get waway with it.

Don't underestimate the 1800-2200 drone. I have straight pipe out the back now and, while the exhaust is truly what the Hemi should sound like, its Drone City at certain points. Not sure how to deal with that as early on I hated it but now it seems quieter... I've gotten used to it. I'm single now but I know it would've failed the wife test a couple months back.

·
Registered
332 Posts
{QUOTE=MattRobertson] Bingo. I've gotten used to it. I'm single now but I know it would've failed the wife test a couple months back.[/QUOTE]

Some things just work themselves out for the better don't they?
KK

·
Registered
56 Posts
I started with Dynomax Ultra Flow muffs with stock resonators. Good stuff when you get on it, slightly deeper at idle but not enough. So I steped up and replaced the resonators with Flows Super 40s. Exactly the sound I wanted untill..the tranny drops in 5th at about 45mph or MDS kicks in. Its not drone but rather I was looking for the kid in the Civic behind me with Subs blasting. That deep! Amusing, actually!
Turn the stereo up on the highway and its hard to notice. You can also use the throttle to controll it.
I'd keep it except I take fellow workers to lunch sometimes and that ultra deep base gets noticed.
The super 40s are great but coming off. Next, I'm trying the Magnaflow XL 3 chamber.
Not the normal Magnaflow pillow sound but deeper idle.
We'll see...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I cut out the suitcase and replaced it with 2 Flowmaster Super 40's. I kept the stock resonators in place. The total cost installed was 280$. The exhuast has some rumble now but it isn't over the top. In fact, I could probably stand a little louder (glasspacks in the future?). Overall I'm very happy, I think it was a better option than an 800$ system that has drone i.e. Borla.

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
I bit the bullet and bought a Zoomers Magnum catback system as part of a group buy on another forum, where there are also a lot of happy campers with that system. Tentative install date is this coming Wednesday, when I drive down to the manufacturer in Irvine and they install it for me.

I think from a technical standpoint the Zoomers system is the most solid, both from a performance and construction standpoint. http://zoomersexhaust.com

I toyed with the idea of using their Venturi tips to see if I would eliminate the drone I have now, but bottom line would have been I'd be spending more $$$ on unproven R&D and I wanted to make an end of it. I've heard the Zoomers system and its the next closest thing to what I have now, with bupkis for drone.

Besides, all of my playing around so far has only amounted to about $350. Any more and I'd be pot-committed. Now was the time to get off the fence.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mine installed the x-pipe and BOY did it make the differance.

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
I had the Zoomers put in yesterday and drove 300 miles home with them on. These things are hands-down fantastic. Aggressive sound. Unobtrusive on the highway (they actually get quieter when cruising over 80). ZERO drone at all points on the acceleration curve, thanks to the venturi tips.

If you want to hear your exhaust, scare the guy in the next lane and not hear drone, these are for you. However if you have a wife test to pass better find someone with them already on to give you both a ride. This system is strictly for men and men who have wives who kick ass.

Mike5959, what do you think would get nasty in NE? Snow? rust? Both the outside cover and inside perforated liner are stainless.

Water sure as hell wouldn't collect in there. Those pups get hot! Plus air blasting in from the front vents wouldn't let it collect.

Talk to the Zoomers guys. While I was there yesterday someone mentioned they just sold two more Magnum kits and one of them was going to MA, IIRC.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey Matt where did you go to install your Zoomers? I have Aeroturbines on mine and they sound great aside from the drone. Maybe I'll just install the tips. Which tip did you install and do you have pics and a sound bite?

·
Registered
290 Posts
zoomers

go to the zoomer web site they give sound bites of a mag with the cat back exhaust.sounds pretty sweet.im thinking of getting rid of my borla resanators and putting those tips on.

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
What Slappy Said re: sound bites. The Magnum they took the samples off of belongs to RedInOrange. Not sure if he hangs out here.

As to where I went to do the install... to Zoomers in Irvine. Its a 300-mile drive from Fresno. About 450 for you I think but I'd suggest making a day of it. You can do 900 miles in a day. Or work a motel into the picture and do it in two (if you haven't been to LA recently stay in Lebec or Castaic, where there's still oxygen in the air... buildings on the other side of the Santa Ana Freeway were fargin' noticeably *hazy*... and I'm not exaggerating).

The benefit is you have the experts doing the work personally. The folks who created and designed the system in the first place. For example they modded it a touch to maximize ground clearance for my Eibachs. And they weld the system in instead of slip-fitting it.

All of these things are do-able by a local muffler guy. Your call. But I really enjoyed visiting the factory and meeting all of the principals.

The "aside from the drone" part is the kicker, isn't it? I was right there, too. I thought about going tips-only, and talked to Ron and Dave at Zoomers about going down that road. However the Cannon tips (which are a lot more than tips) are $150 each. So I figured $300 for parts and probably another $100 in labor... and I wasn't sure it'd be perfect. Like I said in a previous post... it was time to get off the fence and pick something that I knew was engineered straight thru to be the hot stuff. Look at their technology page. Look at the pass-thru that muffler gives. And the tips. Its incredible you can call it a muffler at all but it is. It really defines what high performance should be, in part due to patented components that just can't be copied without legal penalites by other manufacturers.

Guys don't forget I was a part of a group buy with another forum, and that group buy may or may not have expired. You need to call and ask and do it reasonably soon. It may already be history. Check out the exhaust forum at lxforums.com for details, or just call theZoomers guys and talk to them straight up. You'll probably be talking to one of the head honchos directly in short order.

As for pictures, I have extreme close-ups of the tips, canisters and rear end. Give me a coupla days to post them on my web site. I'm planning a workup on all three stages of my exhaust system's 'evolution'. Here's a teaser:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks Matt. I'm born and raised in LA been up here for a couple of years. Irvine is a LONG drive but if the exhaust is good then its worth it. What did you pay for yours?

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
Well, there's the bad news. The Zoomers system is race-pedigreed and arguably the best system out there. And its also the most expensive one of the lot, I believe. I believe MSRP is $1100. Then you have to pay for shipping and installation. Again, I urge you to call Zoomers and see if the LXForums group buy is still in play. If it isn't I'd still do it, now that I have the system. Even before I did, I figured I was investing in 5+ years of eardrum comfort. With this system I get to roar with the lions and tigers when I want and fughetaboudit otherwise. And get better performance.

Couple more shots:

The point behind me sticking my hand in there was to show the muffler had been raised to take into account my Eibachs but we still had room available to account for vibration.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Maybe I should try getting the Zoomer resonator tips and adding them to my system. I love the Aeroturbines I just hate the drone at cruise and it is LOUD! I didn't get the Aeroturbine resonators because my exhaust guy said that they probably aren't going to be very good. If the Zoomers resonators don't do the trick I can always add the Zoomers mufflers.

Thanks for the info Matt.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.