DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, new to the board. I just bought a Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Cummins Turbo Diesel 4wd. I have wanted one of these trucks since I was 16. 22 yrs old now, finally got enough credit and money and my dream has come true! :rck:

Anyways I got the truck used and I was wondering what types of things I need to look for as far as problems that arise around 90,000miles. It is a 1999 and runs pretty smooth however every few seconds I feel a very VERY minor single shake when idling. Almost impossible to feel, but me being an anal car owner it sorta bugs me. This is my first diesel, so that may be normal I don't really know.

I also wanted to know how many miles people usually get out of these trucks with proper maintainance. I baby my vehicles and give good maintainance, so should I expect over 200,000mi out of this thing?

Also, what types of chip upgrades/programmers would you Dodge experts suggest? I really don't need anything that will give me 350ft/lbs like the ones out there claim to give, but I do plan on towing a 22ft River Sled boat and would like some extra OOMPF when pulling the boat out of steep boat launches. I really only want a little extra power that I can switch on for towing, and maybe something that will give me better gas mileage. I don't plan on spending over $600 on anything, prefferably under $500, but I really don't know what brands to trust.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Hey Nick ,Welcome......all the diesel guys should be comming out soon..............Enjoy the site!!!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
edge makes a great product. I would go with the basic edge chip and also add a BHAF and at least straight pipe or upgrade to a 4" exhaust. the BHAF will be around $250, 4" exhust about $300 and the chip you might find on ebay for about $400-500. As far as the truck what year did you get? auto or standard?

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
My next truck will be a 24v cummins. Got any pics of it? If you got an auto all you can do is edge ez which is a 65 horse box and I've heard that is pushing it. I'd straight pipe, bhaf, and remove the silencer ring too while I was at it.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
You should get a lot more then 200,000 miles, my truck is at 182,000 and it still runs strong, you should be able to get more like 600,000 miles or so, pending how it was tooken care of before you 90,000 can be a lot for a truck that was drove in the ground. The Edge EZ seems to be a good choice however since it is a auto a word of caution, no matter how small the box it IS going to strain your tranny and reduce it's life, and the more you push it the faster your tranny will go, you could still get 200,000 miles out of the tranny or it could last 30,000. The worst part of modding is after you do the chip, next will be intake, then exaust the modding never stops!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.