DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!! I am a new member to the forum. I also am a Dodge owner for the first time. I just bought a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. VERY clean truck. First thing i did was buy a Superchips Micro Max Tuner for it. I have it set to the 87 octane setting right now being that gas is so expensive. I am looking for other modifications to help with performance of the vehicle. I am wanting to gain even more horsepower. I also put in a new K&N air filter. I have heard mixed opinions on wherther these filters actually help or not. Anyways i am looking into buying the K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit. Is anyone familiar with this product and does it really increase performance? A friend was telling me to change my 16"tires to some 15"s and that would also help. If anyone has any other suggestions on increasing HP,performance etc. please let me know. I however don't want to spend a fortune on this. Nothing like buying nitrious or anything like that. Just some inexpensive ways to help performance. Thanks to all in advance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've got a K&N FIPK, got it off ebay for under $220. It definetly sucks in a lot of air. I added it with other mods so I'm not sure of it's individual increase in performance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So i take it that you are pleased with your K&N FIPK? I do see an improvement since i installed my Superchip tuner. I am just guessing that changing the air intake SHOULD help due to the fact that i will be getting more unrestricted airflow. Is this correct? Also what about the tires? I see by browsing the forums that people that have changed their stock tires have gone BIGGER. I am wanting to go smaller(16 to 15's)then lowering the truck. So any other mods that i can consider?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes, I am pleased with it. It seems that people who swapped out there air intakes have or want to get a ported out throttle body to "accept" all that air the K&N FIPK is providing. I can't help you with the lowering part but you can checkout slammed1's forum here.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=249
From what I here he is VERY knowledgable and I'm sure he or the people he has helped will be more then happy to help you as well. Other mods could be headers and an exhaust system

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i have noticed a difference since i installed the Superchip Tuner. However i haven't noticed a significant difference since i installed the K&N air filter. Maybe just installing the filter alone isn't meant to make a difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as the exhaust, like i said i bought the truck used. It is a 1999 with a 5.2L From what i can tell there is no cat converter and it has a Y split going into 2 tips with a glasspack i believe.I don't know if this stuff is any good or if i should go with something else. I am new to all this stuff. I know as far as sound it sounds INCREDIBLE.

·
Registered
57 Posts
mjsedg said:
forget about lowering!!!!
lift it, fat chicks can't jump!!!
:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me ask everyone's advice as far as air intakes go. Is one brand better than the others? And please explain to myself(noob) why it is better having a cold air intake. And i take it that the K&N FIPK is a cold air intake?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.