DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just traded my 03 1500 quad for an 03 quad 3500 dually HO 6 speed . I need to know which cold air intake is the best and if anyone is running 17 inch alloy wheels and what kind would they be. Thanks! :cool: :drivingz:

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
I recommend the aFe Proguard 7 intake.

I took my stockers off when I got my truck and put on aftermarket. I then traded it wih the aftermarkets and left with stockers...

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Don't the '03 Rams come with 17s from the Factory?

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Saint said:
Don't the '03 Rams come with 17s from the Factory?
All the 2500 and 3500 Rams have 17's.

1500's only, offer 20's as an option.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The best cold air intake is the AFE Proguard 7 series. It was made especially for diesels. You have a 2003, so I would go with the Stage I AFE Proguard 7 CAI, with the torque tube. There are really no gains or losses, just alot of turbo whistle which is what I wanted. Like I said if you want the best, make sure its the Proguard 7 series and nothing else. You can get the best deal at www.dieselperformanceparts.com ... If you call them they will give you an even better deal. If you want to see pictures of mine, just look in my gallery...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Im running 17" aftermarket alloy wheels. Check my gallery for pics.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info on the Proguard 7 intake. How do you know that it filters out small particles at least as well as the stock system. There is a warning in the manual about installing performance filters that can cause engine damage?

And yes, all the trucks come with 17 inch wheels. Mine is a 1 ton dually, they all come with steel 17 inch wheels. 2500 or 1500 wheels of any kind will not fit. Anyone with a dually running alloys?

Also had the " check guages" light flash on a couple times today. What is up with that??
Thanks

Pitcru

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Ah yes, missed the part about it being a dually... hmmm hit up GreatDane on here as I know he has a dually as well to find out what he's running.

Did the CEL just come on... or did it flash? If it's flashing, the manual advises you stop driving the truck and get it to a dealer. If it's just on, it's a warning and should get to a dealer when you can. I think the combo is turn the truck on, off, on, off and back on and on the odometer it should list the codes it's throwing to find out what's wrong.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Pitcru said:
Thanks for the info on the Proguard 7 intake. How do you know that it filters out small particles at least as well as the stock system.
The Magnum Force Intake w/ProGuard*7 meets Cummins' 99.5% efficiency rating. There's no need to drop big bucks on an expensive truck then BOMB it with cheap shit.
Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had a few different intakes on mine. Had the AFE Megacannon, Scotty RA2, and now I have the volant system. I think all are ok, The only thing I didn't like about the AFE is it rubbed the paint off the underside of my hood... None will do much for HP unless you are adding alot of fuel, and running a bigger turbo. You will get the benefit of lower EGT's. I see about a 150 degree decrease while towing heavy (10k+)

As far as wheels, I only know of one company that is making 17" alloy's for our duallys, and that is Eagle. You can get a set (4 wheels) for about $750 with caps and nuts. Or you can go up to a 19.5" wheel, check out Ricksontruck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DieselFreak - thanks for the pics. Did you buy the torque tube separate and is it plastic? The new stage 2 units are one piece plastic from the turbo up to the filter. More money as well. 300 plus large ones. What is the silencer ring that you removed? I am going to hold off on the wheels for a while.
Thanks

Pitcru

·
Registered
852 Posts
I bought the CAI with the torque tube at the same time. Yes, its plastic. If you go to BubbaHemi's gallery, he has video of what it sounds like with an AFE CAI, and the silencer ring removed. A silencer ring is just a silver shinny ring in the turbo right before the little fins. It main purpose is to quiet the turbo. I guess lots of people were complaining that the turbo was too loud and so DCX, took care of the problem with the "silencer ring". It has no other purpose, it will cause no damage to your engine or turbo if you remove it. My turbo screams now that I have the AFE CAI, with the torque tube and silencer ring removed. I will attach some pics of what it looks like removed. Its real easy with the right tools.

Here they are:

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Click on this website and scroll down to where it talks about the silencer ring. It shows where it is and what it looks like removed. There is also alot of good info about the Cummins in general......

Here ya go: http://www.hotroddiesel.ca/turbocharger_faq.htm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.