DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on here, so I'm sorry if this has already been covered. If it has, then please direct me to the thread.

I have recently purchased an Iron Cross HD Bumper for my 2010 Ram 1500 2wd ST Quad Cab, but once I installed it, I noticed that the suspension was quite a bit different and it feels a little over loaded. I have a 3" front 2" rear leveling kit installed on there as well.

I have been looking for heavier duty coil springs for the front, but I have been having a hard time figuring out coil spring rates or anything else. The best I have come up with is replacing the OEM progressive rate coils for a set of Rancho 4" lift single rate coils and thus trying to find a set of Shocks to fit and get a set of extended brake lines.

I guess I have the following questions:

1) Does anyone have a link to a coil spring rate chart?

2) Can I swap out some 2500 coil springs on my 1500?

3) Can I swap out for a pair off of another vehicle? (like they do w/ Jeeps swapping for Crown Vic Coils)

4) Has anyone had a similar issue and how did you fix it?

5) If my best bet is the Rancho coils, then what would be the best shocks to accompany them?

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How heavy is the bumper? I have the Ranch Hand front end replacement bumper (around 200ish pounds) and have no issued since I installed the Bilstien 5100's, set at 2.1". That being said I did before the install of the new shocks. It may be the stock shocks with spacers just give easier than the bilstiens. The ranch quicklifts are easier to install, but dont give as much customization in terms of lift height. Better ride controls though.

I know tuff truck makes new coils but they may only be for the rear end. And I think the 2500 suspension is not compatible as far as I know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a little over 200lbs. I don't believe that Tuff Truck makes any front coils, only rear from what I have seen.

I have been having trouble finding the Bilstein 5100s to fit on a 2wd. Everything I have seen is for 4wd fitment.

I appreciate your help. If you have anything else, please let me know.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
It's a little over 200lbs. I don't believe that Tuff Truck makes any front coils, only rear from what I have seen.

I have been having trouble finding the Bilstein 5100s to fit on a 2wd. Everything I have seen is for 4wd fitment.

I appreciate your help. If you have anything else, please let me know.
You're not going to find adjustable Bilstein 5100s for a 2wd since it's not the same design as the 4wd. Only options are spindles, taller springs, or spring spacers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is kinda what I thought. Do you have any suggestions for new shocks for a lifted 2wd myoung? If I start adding the larger springs, then what all do I need to go in a upgrade?

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
2500 suspension will not work with a 1500. The 2500 has a monster suspension compared to a 1500. 2500 use a solid front axle. 1500, have IFS.

I believe the only option you have is really a spindle at this point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Monsoonmike, If I put a spindle on it, that isn't really going to help with the sag in the suspension is it?

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
That is kinda what I thought. Do you have any suggestions for new shocks for a lifted 2wd myoung? If I start adding the larger springs, then what all do I need to go in a upgrade?
The factory replacement Bilsteins would be good. Just don't get longer shocks, that's a common misconception on the 1500 2wd. The shock is the only thing keeping the UCA from smacking the coil bucket at full droop. Stick with the stock length with whatever you get.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The factory replacement Bilsteins would be good. Just don't get longer shocks, that's a common misconception on the 1500 2wd. The shock is the only thing keeping the UCA from smacking the coil bucket at full droop. Stick with the stock length with whatever you get.
Thanks myoung84. I was afraid that I would end up getting too much spring for factory height shocks.

I've never gone this far with a vehicle before, so I am in need of as much help as I can get. I appreciate all of the help that you guys are providing.

I wish there was a way to pick you guys' brains on the situation.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
Glad to help! I think in your situation with the heavier bumper, I'd definitely look into the heavier springs that Mike posted above.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Some replacement bilsteins (24-187480 ) and some lift spindles and you will be set. airbagit dot com has some for about $300 and work well. I used those on my 2011 2wd with great success.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How does everything work with adding lift spindles, but regular length shocks. I just don't understand that. I'm new, so I just don't comprehend how it works. I'm sorry.

·
Oh yeah, it's a Cummins!
237 Posts
How does everything work with adding lift spindles, but regular length shocks. I just don't understand that. I'm new, so I just don't comprehend how it works. I'm sorry.
A lift spindle should move the wheel centerline down, while the lower control arm stays at its original position.

·
Oh yeah, it's a Cummins!
237 Posts
A lift spindle won't actually help with the compression of the front coils, then will it?
No, it won't help regain lost suspension travel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.