Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY brother gust bought a Charger RT.

Now I feel Cheated by Chrysler. His auto stick works like an auto stick should. You put it in gear and it stays there, unless you exceed the max shift points. The ESP and traction control allow for much more spirited driving. This pisses me off.

Also, the gear select goes 1-5 then D. And when in drive you push the shifter right or left it goes straight to the optimum performance gear, with out going through all the gears in between, like my magnum.

I looked at the software, his was version 4.05
I have an appointment at the Dealer Tuesday morning. They said they would try to load that version software.

If anyone finds a dealer willing, please post the dealers location.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Look forward to hearing the reports!

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you have the EVIC you can hold the "music note" and "compass' buttons down together for 6 seconds. This will drop you into a diagnostic mode. The up/down arrow keys will scroll through all sorts of cool info. One of the screens will have software info.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Strange. When I bought my RT, i wanted to see how good the autostick was. I was impressed at the shifting. I was scared it would over rev. I swear I hit the limiter for a fraction of a second.
I got to check my version...

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
The Charger is better than many think.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hemi Pete said:
The Charger is better than many think.
The local dealer has a beautiful black RT Charger on the lot. I checked it out and walked away unimpressed. My biggest issue with the great addition to the LX platform is...well, the Magnum looks like home grown chisled muscle. The Charger looks kind of chunky, like a 300c on steroids.
.3 seconds in the quarter mile doesn't make up for the Intreped rear end on the Charger. The Charger is still a great American muscle car, DM should be proud and so should the owners.
:gr_patrio

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hrmm..my RT stays in the gear selected until the rev limit is reached, then it changes up automatically. I could drive around in first all day if I never red-lined it.

Btw, I would rather it cycle down a gear at a time vs. it "choosing" which gear it thinks is optimal. To achieve the same in the Magnum, just hold it to the left...it will zip immediately to the lowest gear that doesn't violate the rev limit.

My only complaint with the shifter is that I would prefer an Up/Down setup rather than Left/Right.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine works the same way as sheezdoc's tranny does. BMW is up & down, push forward for an up shift, pull back for a down shift. Audi is up and down (however pushing forward is down shift, pulling back is an up shift). I guess DC is following in Mercedes foot steps and wants to be different from the A & B brands out of Germany. Up and down is correct for tracking, maybe they thought that RT owners can only drive in a straight line (the drag strip!).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Navyvet said:
Mine works the same way as sheezdoc's tranny does. BMW is up & down, push forward for an up shift, pull back for a down shift. Audi is up and down (however pushing forward is down shift, pulling back is an up shift). I guess DC is following in Mercedes foot steps and wants to be different from the A & B brands out of Germany. Up and down is correct for tracking, maybe they thought that RT owners can only drive in a straight line (the drag strip!).
You can add Acura (Japan) to that list. Acura's autostick is also actuated by a North to South, South to North tap. I drove my auto stick Acura CLS for five years before trading it in on my Magnum R/T. After 5 months I'm still adjusting to my Magnum R/T's East to West, West to East tap. Playing automotive sims on the computer probably doesn't help my adjustment any. My computer's steering wheel also shifts with a North to South, South to North tap. Too bad my Magnum R/T's autostick isn't as easily programmed as my computer's steering wheel!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dealer said they could not load the charger software. The program checks the vin code.

BAD DAD
Here are my 3 big complaints about the Magnum AUTO stick.
1) If I am under 2500 rpm and select second and floor it- the car down shifts to first, in third any time below 3200rpm it down shifts, in forth any time below 4000 rpm it down shifts that's not "auto stick" My mothers minivan works like that.
2) if I give it more than half throttle the car will not shift out of first until the power levels out and almost hits the WOT shift point. ( unless I'm in drive and bump the shifter to the right. But if this is done to soon it will down shift back to the gear I just left)
3) When performing a burn out for the crowd. With First gear selected. I like to get the tires smoking, then let of the brake and play with the throttle to keep the car from hitting the WOT shift points but this "Auto Stick" will shift in to second when I back off the pedal even the lest little bit.
This trans in NO WAY is tuned for performance driving. Even the shifts are mushy. It is however the way standard automatic transmissions have worked for years. They should be charged with false advertising.

Other than that the cars great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
maneval69 said:
The dealer said they could not load the charger software. The program checks the vin code.

BAD DAD
Here are my 3 big complaints about the Magnum AUTO stick.
1) If I am under 2500 rpm and select second and floor it- the car down shifts to first, in third any time below 3200rpm it down shifts, in forth any time below 4000 rpm it down shifts that's not "auto stick" My mothers minivan works like that.
2) if I give it more than half throttle the car will not shift out of first until the power levels out and almost hits the WOT shift point. ( unless I'm in drive and bump the shifter to the right. But if this is done to soon it will down shift back to the gear I just left)
3) When performing a burn out for the crowd. With First gear selected. I like to get the tires smoking, then let of the brake and play with the throttle to keep the car from hitting the WOT shift points but this "Auto Stick" will shift in to second when I back off the pedal even the lest little bit.
This trans in NO WAY is tuned for performance driving. Even the shifts are mushy. It is however the way standard automatic transmissions have worked for years. They should be charged with false advertising.

Other than that the cars great.
When I bought my car, I drove off the lot and about a mile before I realized the turn signals weren't working. I took it back to the dealer and after they trouble shot and consulted with Dodge tech line diagnoised it to a bad computer caused when a customer had left the key on in the show room killing the battery. According to the tech line (or so the manager said) this is a problem that has become more frequent as of late. It could be because of the jump start procedure. But the fix was to grab an SXT (only car on the lot) and swap the computer which is all housed in the instrument cluster. They then loaded the latest version of software. This happen about 1.5 months ago.
Your right as far as the tranny operating like a normal tranny and I definetly don't like the engine pulling the timing in between shifts. People usually blame the tranny for it. As soon as hypertech or Diablo releases a product without bugs, I'll have it.
It's not perfect (tranny) but I do like how it will hold a gear until it hits red line or or you shift. As far as down shifting, I like the cars eagerness to down shift to keep the motor in the power range. It comes in hady when driving corners "aggresivley".
It goes to show, it's hard to make everyone happy! :rck:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bad Dad
Yes, the fuel and timing adjustments at shift points are a little extreme, but I understand the reasoning behind them. By the way the Charger RT shift a lot crisper so the mush is not necessary. I can also remember some Magnum owners talking about chirping a second. So, my trans may be the odd one.
I don't want to sound to down on the car but they said Auto Stick and I believed them. Even the road test I saw on TV said the Auto Stick made the driving fun. I wonder if the test vehicles where tweeked? Like the charger.
AT what rpm does yours shift?
My car shifts at 5400rpm.
I thought red line was 5600?

·
Banned
18 Posts
My Rt AWd Has auto stick and its rocking.....It stays in gear till you bump it up ,when did you buy your magnum they may have changed them since .
I redline at 5800 and the atuo stick works like a charm ..

·
Banned
18 Posts
Hold the stick to the left for apprx 2 seconds and it will find the optimum gear and hit the gas..Thats how mine works,Ive seen it drop into second at 60 mph and man does my RT AWD rip ................

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hold the stick to the left for apprx 2 seconds and it will find the optimum gear and hit the gas.
Mine does the same thing. The charger finds the operating gear with just one bump either left or right and it doesn't go through each gear in between, just straight to the optimum gear.

My Rt AWd Has auto stick and its rocking.....It stays in gear till you bump it up ,when did you buy your magnum they may have changed them since . I redline at 5800 and the atuo stick works like a charm .
If you floor it and try to up-shift at a low rpm will it shift?

My Magnum was built in March 2005. The AWD RT may have different programming due to the lower gears but I would think they would be similar.
I have no idea what my redline is because it shifts at 5400rpm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.