Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(D is an '02 4.7L SLT)

A couple days ago I had the original rotors and pads replaced with a set of Brembo sport drilled rotors and Hawk HPS pads (a huge improvement) and I noticed yesterday that all three brake lights do not come on when the pedal is pressed.

My brake lights worked fine prior to the new installation. I'm not completely sure they worked when I picked up the truck, because my girlfriend may have mistaken the brake lights with the standard rear running lights when I asked her to see if they operated. Anyways, I didn't think anything of it until I noticed they weren't working as of yesterday. The brakes themselves work great.

I checked the switch on the brake pedal and it wasn't stuck and seems to mechanically work fine.

I checked the fuse box on the side of the dash and didn't see anything for the brake lights. Same thing with the fuze box under the hood.

Since all three lights don't come on, I assume it's not the bulbs.

Is there a sensor on the brake assembly that may have not been reattached?

Has anyone else had this problem and/or know of a solution? Hopefully, it's an easy fix so I don't have to run it back to the shop.

Thanks for your help! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have encountered your particular problem on my 2000 Durango,
however there were some differences. In regards to your situation,
this problem can be a simple fix, depending on your knowledge of electrical components and measurements. If your not that versed in how to use a Fluke(voltage meter) you may want to consider taking the truck back to where you had the work done and have them fix it. Otherwise your problem could be a few things. first you have to find the fuse for the brake light circuit if their is ambiguious info on the fuse block diagram I would reccomend checking them all. Second if there are no fuse issues then the next logical step would be to check the brake light switch continuity/power supply. To do this you will have to disconnect the wire harness from the switch with a voltage meter check the pink/drk blue wire in the harness for voltage, if none is present there is a break in the circuit between the fuse block and the switch. (Extensive wireing repair needed) if voltage is present the next step is to check the continuity of the switch itself. ensure that voltage is present at terminal 2 when the pedal is depressed. There should only bee voltage when depressed. If there is no voltage Replace the switch. if there is and the brake lights still do not work the problem is between the switch and the lights themselvs (Can require an extensive repair) the bulbs are more than likely not the problem however you can check those to make sure. hope this helps. good luck!
My bet is on the Fuse or Switch :gr_patrio

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found the problem

Thanks for the reply Johnny. It turned out to be the switch.

Since the four way lights worked, I knew the brake bulbs weren't the issue and so it came down to the fuze and/or switch. I found out the fuze for the brakes can be found in the distribution center, under the hood, labeled ST LAMP 40. ST for "stop" I suppose, and it was working fine.

I then tested the brake switch and there was power coming in, but not going out. I pulled the plunger all the way out and the brake lights came on. The lights should come on as soon as the plunger is released, but it wasn't doing it here. Faulty switch at 38k miles. I picked up a new switch at the dealership for around $18 and that did the trick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.