DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BEE Ready!
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 has 92k miles now and recently the belt has started squeeling on cold starts but only lasts for a few minuts. I know that generally belts are to be replaced at 100k miles so I figure I'll just get it over with and hopefully fix the noise. I found a shop that I trust to do the install since I don't have the tools, but I need the belt.

Shop said the belt would be $80. Is this a good price and is there some sort of super belt brand or anything? Seems kind of expensive but I have never bought a belt before. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Do you and your wallet a favor and do it yourself. You can get a belt for around 35.00. It is very easy and straight forward. Just rotate your tensioner with a wrench, remove the old one and put the new one on following the belt diagram. I usually don't go past 30k miles on my belts. I'm surprised you still have a belt.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
May not be the belt (although it's probably time). That easily could be an idler or the tensioner pulley. All you need to replace the belt is a ratchet wrench (or a 3/8" extension bar). $80 for $40 work is too much.

Truly an easy repair - just make sure you know the belt path before you remove it. It does NOT go around the fan.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
X2, took me about 10-15 minutes to change my belt. Easier than changing the oil, no joke.

·
BEE Ready!
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the tensioner located? And once I replace the belt, how do I know how tight to crank it back?

I'll definatly take some pics of the belt path as a procaution. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Where is the tensioner located? And once I replace the belt, how do I know how tight to crank it back?

I'll definatly take some pics of the belt path as a procaution. Thanks for the advice!
Lower left as your facing the engine from the front. Its an arm with a pulley on it, looks like it does nothing. Loosen the nut, and you can move it by hand, you will feel tension because it's spring loaded. Replace the belt, and tighten it up snug, just use common sense. No need for a breaker bar or anything to tighten it:D Its self adjusting so it will keep the belt tight for you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i did my belt and 2 idler pulleys just because i hit 94K on the originals and they werent making any noise. i just didnt want to go any longer. took 25 mins and 60 bucks for all materials. look it up on youtube. there is a shop A1 auto that does all kinds of work on an 04 Ram. great stuff. it is very easy. you could even buy the tools to do the job and still be under 80 bucks

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Yah Im overdue as well. I have 75K on my factory belt. It still looks great too!

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Lower left as your facing the engine from the front. Its an arm with a pulley on it, looks like it does nothing. Loosen the nut, and you can move it by hand, you will feel tension because it's spring loaded. Replace the belt, and tighten it up snug, just use common sense. No need for a breaker bar or anything to tighten it:D Its self adjusting so it will keep the belt tight for you.
No need to loosen the bolt! Just turn the arm (up, I think). There is no adjustment, it's spring-loaded. If it's super-easy to move, it might be time for a new one. That's when you loosen the bolt.

·
Fathead
1,046 Posts
Do yourself a favor and replace your idlers and tensioner while you're in there. In fact, I think that is part of what the dealership would do.

Draw a diagram of the path the belt takes around the pulleys before you remove it. Also, to take the belt of there is a square hole in the end of the tensioner. A 3/8" ratchet fits in it perfectly. Stick the ratchet in the hole and pull up, the tensioner will move easily enough for you to pull the belt off without lossening the bolt and having the tensioner fly off under pressure. Piece of cake and not worth paying $80 to get it done. You could replace the two idler pulleys, the tensioner, and the belt for that much or less...

I am also surprised you have a belt left... mine gets replaced every 30k along with the idler pulleys...

·
BEE Ready!
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When my dad went to mechanic school way back when he was told every 100k miles. The only belt that I know of that has broken on us is one of my moms cars that got 110k out of it.

Where can I get the parts for this at? Guess I'll go ahead and do both idlers, tensioner and the belt.

Is there a special tool needed for tightnening the bolts down? All I have is standard ol rachets and wrenches.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
When my dad went to mechanic school way back when he was told every 100k miles. The only belt that I know of that has broken on us is one of my moms cars that got 110k out of it.

Where can I get the parts for this at? Guess I'll go ahead and do both idlers, tensioner and the belt.

Is there a special tool needed for tightnening the bolts down? All I have is standard ol rachets and wrenches.
Basic hand tools are plenty. This'll be one of the easiest things you'll do on your truck. Take your time and it'll be a piece of cake.

·
BEE Ready!
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Basic hand tools are plenty. This'll be one of the easiest things you'll do on your truck. Take your time and it'll be a piece of cake.
Sounds good! :D

Is this just autozone parts?

·
Registered
115 Posts
i like Gates brand stuff so i went to O Reilleys. autozone carrys Daycor stuff. i am sure its all the same but i just like certain brands. also try lookin at youtube. believe me you will laugh at how easy it is.

·
Fathead
1,046 Posts
Yeah, go to O'reilly's (or Rockauto). There are two types of idlers available, plastic like oem or some nice metal ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.