DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought this 2002 Ram 1500 with the red air bag light burning. Thankfully it was only a clock spring issue. The $77 Dorman clock spring off of Amazon (RockAuto had it for a $1 more) fixed it.

This is the first air bag work I have ever done. It was not a bad driveway task and not physically hard. Finding my tools took the most time. I had not used the gear puller in 25 years but it was required to get the steering wheel off.

I took the old clock spring apart and did not see any physical damage to the 12 foot 10 lead cable but it was very greasy like. The lower two connections were very greasy like. I would try some contact cleaner for the heck of it if there is ever another time.

Our July 2001 build date only has one yellow cable that connects to the air bag so it is a single stage discharge but I think in 2002 or 2003 they went to a two stage with two yellow cables.

I watched a few Youtube videos and read several How To articles. Since this was my first work like this I took it slow and spent 6 hours but like I said it was digging up the tools then putting them back up that took the most of my time. I saw where Dodge paid the dealer for 0.7 hours for replacing the clock spring on a recall of the 2000 models. With experience and tools in your tool box 3 foot from the truck that sounds very doable.

If I ever buy another vehicle with the airbag light on I will deal harder on the buying price from the private seller in case we are not this lucky next time. The truck is for my son to drive to college and he wanted it really bad. :)

It is going to look sharp when we get it cleaned up well for a 14 year old truck with 110K miles. He is 6'4" so he likes the massive size cab.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.