DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2013 Sport
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to beat the exhaust issue to death, but I had a question....
I ordered a new Flowmaster Super 40 3" single in/ 2 1/2" dual out to be fitted as part of a new exhaust system to replace my existing 3" single in/single out Magnaflow system now.
I had planned on including a new set of JBA headers as part of the new set-up, but after discussing this extensively with several gearheads and mechanics I know and trust, most have discouraged the move to headers from the stock manifolds because of leak development, constantly loose bolts, and heat problems in the engine compartment. Sounds reasonable....but alot of you guys are running headers I guess with no problems???
Any comments for or against? I am also going to dump both 2 1/2" exits before the rear axle like I have it currently. Anyone else out there running a similar set-up?
Thanks very much for the input.

·
Banned
3,572 Posts
order a set of the stage 8 locking bolts and you wont have loose bolts and i havent heard of a roblem with leaks devolping

if you are worried bout heat in the bay the get the ceramic coted ones or wrap with header wrap

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If you go headers, use the stock metal exhaust gaskets. They seem to be the best so far. Just dont over tighten them. The gasket is supposed to be compressed not smashed.

·
2013 Sport
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was really trying to get away from having the exhaust exit out from under the edge of the truck's body and keep it tucked up away.....wonder if I extended it over the rear axle, but not all the way out the raer to the bumper would that solve a little more of the drone issue? Or is it just a Flowmaster thing?
Oh, and thanks, good advice on the headers.

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Do what Jacob said LOL, I've been running headers for a few years now and DONT USE THE JUNK GASKETS THAT COME WITH THE KIT, get OEM gaskets and Stage 8 Locking Header bolts, and you will have no issues.

·
Banned
3,852 Posts
Do what Jacob said LOL, I've been running headers for a few years now and DONT USE THE JUNK GASKETS THAT COME WITH THE KIT, get OEM gaskets and Stage 8 Locking Header bolts, and you will have no issues.
X2.....you don't want to learn the hard way. The gaskets that come with the headers (gibsons at least) are complete crap!! Go stock gaskets!

·
2013 Sport
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you fellas noticed any gain or loss in low end torque or gas mileage (not that I give a flying crap about gas mileage, but any plus will benefit....)
Good advice on the gaskets and bolts....I've had alot of folks tell me this so far.
Definitely would go with ceramic coated.

·
2013 Sport
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, and what's the deal with this whole 'Y pipe' issue....I was just going to have the guy refit the new one to stock specs and configuration.....anything you guys have done in this area that is better than original?
Again, thanks for the input.

·
Banned
3,852 Posts
Oh, and what's the deal with this whole 'Y pipe' issue....I was just going to have the guy refit the new one to stock specs and configuration.....anything you guys have done in this area that is better than original?
Again, thanks for the input.
The Y-pipe issue is in regards to the stock one....it's a crushed POS from the factory. Just replace it with a after market one and you'll be good.....if thats what your talking about!!

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,355 Posts
The Y-pipe issue is in regards to the stock one....it's a crushed POS from the factory. Just replace it with a after market one and you'll be good.....if thats what your talking about!!
Yep, you'll change it out if you want to let some horsies run...

·
2013 Sport
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, cool....that's kinda what I thought. Thanks, fellas.

·
Blown SOHC User
1,950 Posts
now i can see what the issue is... i got under my truck today to see what all the hoopla was about and yall are all correct... that thing is CRAP, i think im gonna do a new exhaust tooo

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
The y-pipe is a cheap mod to do for some extra gains.

As the others had mentioned when buying headers, use the oem gaskets. I have jba ss headers on my truck installed for a while now with no leaks or any problems. I also have had no problems with header bolts coming loose, but if I do I will upgrade them to the stage 8.

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
I will say one disadvantage to the stage 8 bolts, they are a PAIN IN THE ASS to take off if you ever have to remove your headers (head swap). That part SUCKED trying to get those little clips off LOL

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,355 Posts
I recommend using some anti-sieze...

·
2013 Sport
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had my truck in my local shop the other day to have mentioned exhaust repair/custom work done (to fix exhaust leak), and found out that two exhaust manifold bolts were actually broken. So the leak wasn't from the collector, but actually from between the head and the manifold, which had actually created a whole crap load of other issues involving the CEL. Bottom line, I had a fried O2 sensor, three fouled plugs, a (non-related ) PCV that was clogged, and my throttle body apparently looked like the inside of a dirty chimney.
All those issues were addressed, and now the truck is 100 % improved (obviously). I knew it had been running like crap, and thought I knew the big picture, but I guess that one exhaust leak caused all kinds of issues with the computer richening the mixture which caused this, then that, then....damn! I'm glad it's over.
Now I still have the custom work left to do to the exhaust.
Keep ya posted....

·
2013 Sport
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, they had to drill and tap each one, which was a job I did not want to attempt myself. I guess the manifold bolt holes get pretty close to the water jacket, so I let the dealership handle it. I have a pretty god friend at the service dept. there, so I trust them and let them handle larger jobs like this one. For those against the whole dealership thing, remember....I know the whole stigma against taking your vehicle to the "stealership', but those guys not only work on vehicles like yours EVERY day, but they also get all those informational bulletins on it, and are far more intimately familiar with it than the local yocal garage.
Anyway, it's running like a freakin raped ape now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.