DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Former Ram owner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 2000 1500 ext. cab and I absolutely love it, but my pass. door seal has a minor space between the door and the seal, and it is making a very annoying noise b/c of the air going through (almost like a barely cracked window). I normally wouldnt care, but I am very picky on little stuff like that, and its bugging the hell out of me. I checked the seals themselves, and cant seem to find anythign wrong with them, but its definately not sealing right. Any ideas on what it might be? Could the door be slightly cocked on the hinge, causing the top to not seal (the leak is right about in the middle of the diagonal section that comes up the front of the door... if that makes sense).
Thanks in advance for the help.

Kenny

·
Yea boooyeee!
1,996 Posts
Kenny, the first thing to check is the alignment of the door as you mentioned. Alot of times if a LockSmith was ever involved, they wedge the top of the door open, effectivly bending it outwards. My Cummins was bend to the extent of water seeping in during heavy rain. I had a buddy hold the door at the bottom of the window level, and pulled as hard as I could on the top of the door, repeated this about 3 or 4 times, and it all went away.

Also, there is a piece of plastic that runs along the front edge of the door at the windshield that seals along the windshield trim, check to see if that piece is there, if not, make sure to order one for a 98+ truck. They = better.

Good luck!

·
Former Ram owner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like a plan to me... I was also thinking of getting some rubber weather stripping (if I can find some) and putting it on the door where its leaking to help it seal, but I think you might be right... I'll have to give it a try.
Thanks

Kenny

·
Yea boooyeee!
1,996 Posts
Be careful adding weather stripping, you can actually deform the door unknowningly. If we are both talking about the same piece of weather strip, you might be able to get a small foam rod to put INSIDE the weatherstrip itself (Did this on a Dakota of mine) I got it at Lowes. "Caulk Backer Rod" worked like a charm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.