DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally broke down and purchased a 2007 Maxlite 23' with a slider to extend that to 26'. Very nice travel trailer. Dry weight is roughly 4,200lbs. Picked it yesterday and towed it from Roseville, CA to my house which is about 60 miles with a few hills. Towed pretty good. The one factor that did bother me was the 40-45 mile per hour winds we had yesterday (of course). I can not believe how much the wind affected me pulling my rig. It was weird, in small patches of no wind my truck would hold 60mph (Cruise set) with no problem. Hit the wind and oh boy, hold on. I still pulled it fine, but wow, I couldn't belive how much the wind slowed me down at times.

I was towing with OD off and the transmission would still shift to it. It also wouldn't hold 3rd as long as I wanted causing me to hit the go pedal and down shifting more than I liked. I am not too thrilled with my tranny, but all in all my little 4.7 didn't do too bad. Viper fan and ASP pulley is next to free up some more hp. Anyone else towing with their 4.7? Just thought I'd share my experience. Pics to follow...

Eric

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Don't you have Tow/Haul instead of OD Off? Tow Haul allows the trans to shift into OD.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I meant to say, sorry. I have the tow/haul feature on mine. It did help hold gears longer, but when it would finally shift to OD I had to practically mash the pedal to get it to downshift. I wonder how hot it the tranny got? I guess a gauge is next.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That's the only complaint I have with the '05s. No way to lock out both O/D ratios. Tow/haul locks out 5th (.67 O/D) but allows 4th (.75 O/D) with no way to lock it out. DC said no fix will be offered. We tow over 10k lbs with ours. On perfectly flat no wind hwy, it'll lumber along at 2100rpm in O/D. Every incline or headwind, it wants to run in direct. I'd prefer to be able to lock out O/D and let it stay in direct. Tranny heat or wear isn't the problem. I just don't like the feeling of like you say, having to step into the throttle to get it to downshift to direct every time it needs it. GM did the same thing with their Allison in 2002. In 2003 GM offered a kit to upgrade the '02 to be able to lock out O/D like the '03 came factory. Think DC would do the same with the '05 to be able to lock out O/D like the '06? Not a chance... DC customer relations and customer service is about the worst in my humble opinion. It would be such an easy upgrade. Even if they upped the shift point to 70mph it would work better. But nothing doing...

·
Registered
411 Posts
The one comment you made that I noticed was your dry weight of 4200 lbs. If you have a scale near by, I recommend you weigh your truck and trailer, then take your truck back down and weight it by itself.
When I bought my travel trailer, all the paperwork said 4700 lbs. After filling the propane tanks and adding food and clothing for a three day trip, I found my actual weight to be 6000. My water tank was 25% full and my gray and black tanks were empty.
The RV dealer said the factory weight was based on a stripped down model of my trailer. But once you add all the options, gear, and food, they're usually much higher.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the sticker it claims a dry weight of 4075lbs. I added a little because the propane tanks (50lbs) were full. I also was towing it with a full load of water, another 332lbs, which I will not do unless needed. For some reason the dealer decided to fill it and not drain it out. All together I was probably towing 4,600lbs. Truck did real well, until the 40 MPH+ head wind got a hold of it. I was still able to keep speed but I had to rev it up to 3200 rpm, which is its sweet spot anyway. I figure fully loaded truck and trailer with all my gear and kids will be at 5,500-5600 lbs. That's doable.

I am getting a viper fan and ASP pulley in a month to give me some more umph together with all my other mods. Should pull just fine. Going camping this weekend so I will find out. I need to get some pics up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.