DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I just want to say Hi to all you guys. I previously owned a heavily modified Cavalier Z24 and ran a J-Body club. It was time to move on for various reasons and out of all the SUV's I chose the Durango for a couple reasons; looks, power, and size. After the first month I absolutely love this truck. It does everything I want and drives like a big car on top of it all when on the highway.

The gas mileage isn't great, just measured it to 14.5 MPG city (515Kms to 83 liters for you CDN's like me). On the highway I got 685km's to the same amount of gas. Thats fine by me for what it offers. Drives great, no clunks or rattles except interior from the 2 12" Pioneer subs, and I can go anywhere.

The vehicle is a 2000 Dodge Durango Base Sport 4x4 with 4.7 V8.

Now, I did buy the vehicle used with 139K km's on it (~8sK miles) so I have some questions on what is normal and what I should look at.

1. Idles a little erraticly at idle (600-750RPM without AC +200 with AC on). I am not concerned with it too much considering I don't expect a V8 to run perfectly smooth, never drove one that did.
2. Hums while driving, sounds like tires but its not. Drives perfectly, never any clunks, never any slipping in 2wd or 4 but hums.
3. Seems to need a liter of oil every 1000-1500kms, but yet never see any on the ground or any blue smoke. Even my Z24 went through oil like that so again I am not concerned with it too much.
4. In regards to 3 above, the oil pressure seems to jump around depending on vehicle speed and position. Never goes below the normal, or above the normal but depending on incline, angle, or gear (Park or Drive) it moves around the normal range quite a bit.
5. Brakes are a but weak in front and I feel pulsation. I had cross-drilled/slotted rotors on the Z, would this make a difference on this beast?
6. Anyone have any links to a good intake I could purchase, as well what muffler could I install to get a nice clean deep muscle sound?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
durangosportv8 said:
Now, I did buy the vehicle used with 139K km's on it (~8sK miles) so I have some questions on what is normal and what I should look at.

1. Idles a little erraticly at idle (600-750RPM without AC +200 with AC on). I am not concerned with it too much considering I don't expect a V8 to run perfectly smooth, never drove one that did.
2. Hums while driving, sounds like tires but its not. Drives perfectly, never any clunks, never any slipping in 2wd or 4 but hums.
3. Seems to need a liter of oil every 1000-1500kms, but yet never see any on the ground or any blue smoke. Even my Z24 went through oil like that so again I am not concerned with it too much.
4. In regards to 3 above, the oil pressure seems to jump around depending on vehicle speed and position. Never goes below the normal, or above the normal but depending on incline, angle, or gear (Park or Drive) it moves around the normal range quite a bit.
5. Brakes are a but weak in front and I feel pulsation. I had cross-drilled/slotted rotors on the Z, would this make a difference on this beast?
6. Anyone have any links to a good intake I could purchase, as well what muffler could I install to get a nice clean deep muscle sound?

First off, before you get jumped on by the "Signature Police" ;) around here, go to the control panel and make yourself up a signature that gives a little background info on your Durango (year, mileage, any modifications, etc.) so you don't have to type it in every post.

Now then, to your questions.

1,3,4.) It sounds like you could use a good tune-up in general. I don't really know much about the engine so maybe somebody else will chime in with some things to replace - I'd say filters, plugs, and fluids at a minimum.

2.) I assume it isn't your exhaust or anything is it? Can you give any other description like a general area the noise seems to be coming from?

5.) If you're feeling pulsations, you should definitely look into replacing the rotors, they don't get any better. The general opinion on here seems to be that slotted rotors are the way to go (alot of people worry about potential cracks from the drilled or drilled/slotted rotors), but it's all just a matter of opinion. I recently put drilled/slotted rotors on mine and a set of Hawk HPS brake pads (pretty highly reccommended pads around here) and have absolutely no complaints with my brakes now. Do a search for "drilled/slotted rotor" and you should get some good reading material.

6.) Intakes - Intense Performance Stage 3 intakes and K&N FIPK seem to be the favorites because they have shields to HELP (but not completely) block the heat from the engine. Most of the other intakes are more like Warm-Air Intakes because of the heat from the engine. I made an intake out of black PVC pipe and bought a K&N filter for about $30 total. I figured if it's only going to be a "warm-air intake" then there isn't any point in spending hundreds on it. Exhaust - popular mufflers are the Flowmaster 40/50 series (Rockadaous has one and he's got some audio clips if you want to listen) and Magnaflow. I don't have either so I can't really give you much of an opinion on either.

Good luck with it, I'm sure some others will help out too. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
durangosportv8 said:
First of all I just want to say Hi to all you guys. I previously owned a heavily modified Cavalier Z24 and ran a J-Body club. It was time to move on for various reasons and out of all the SUV's I chose the Durango for a couple reasons; looks, power, and size. After the first month I absolutely love this truck. It does everything I want and drives like a big car on top of it all when on the highway.

The gas mileage isn't great, just measured it to 14.5 MPG city (515Kms to 83 liters for you CDN's like me). On the highway I got 685km's to the same amount of gas. Thats fine by me for what it offers. Drives great, no clunks or rattles except interior from the 2 12" Pioneer subs, and I can go anywhere.

The vehicle is a 2000 Dodge Durango Base Sport 4x4 with 4.7 V8.

I concur with kingstretch, a tune up is the way to go. If that doesn't solve the problem you can try a different fuel supplier. Mine takes premium, and runs great.

I wouldn't complain about the mileage, last highway stint I went on sucked back 81L (93 octane) and only got me 440km. Still, it does the jobs I ask of it. That was mostly night county road driving 80-100km/h.

The humming sound might be the engine. I'm not familiar with the 4.7L but with the MPI 5.9L there is always that 'hum' sound. All my dodge vehicles, even the ones with the mitsubishi engines (2.5L) in them have a hum or a valve clatter, if not both!

My 5.9 hasn't swallowed much oil. Maybe 100-300ml between oil changes, but it's hardly noticeable on the dipstick and never goes below the minimum line. I also change oil every 4000kms in thes summer, 3000 in winter using reg. petroleum oil.

The oil pressure in my D will vary with engine speed. On the highway my oil pres. will read above half, but not past 3/4. At idle it'll be under half, but not under 1/4 of the gauge. Both my dodge spirits are the same way. I consider it to be normal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have to agree with everyone about the tune-up for your Durango. I have the 4.7 too and my idle is worse than yours. I believe my problem is mainly due to the flashed computer and possibly some of the other mods I have since the engine has new plugs etc.. When I put the stock computer back in the idle smoothes out (better than flashed computer anyway). I am going to replace the TPS sensor soon anyway just to see if that helps the idle out. I already tried cleaning it. When the idle begins to bounce around when I am stopped at a light, I just tap the gas pedal lightly (while stepping on the brake) and it goes back to normal. Start with the tune-up and take it from there. The plugs are not that hard to do on your own.
Good Luck With Your New Ride!
Soykes

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not to worry - too much?

I have about 135K (miles) on mine.
1. Mine idles fine - so I'm not much help there.
2. Hums - mine, too - ever since I got it used at around 47K. in the 90K I've had it, there has been no perceptible change in pitch or volume. All fluids have been changed with no change in the noise. Granted, it does sound like a noisy differential, but I'm not yet sure that it isn't coming from the transfer case instead. Oh yeah - when I changed all the fluids the was no particulate, VERY minimal crud on the rear diff magnet, no contamination elsewhere.
3. Mine uses a quart about every 2000 miles - depending on driving conditons. I have zero leakage and perfectly clean (original) plugs that I finally swapped out with Bosch Platinum plugs at 130K just for fun.
4. My oil pressure stays pretty much just a bit above middle. Might be your oil pump itself, or just the internal relief.
5. Pulsation implies time for a brake job. Unless you plan on doing some serious braking on a regular basis, stock is usually OK. But the rotors/drums likely need serviced. Drilled/slotted usually helps extend the life of rotors & pads - especially for "performance" braking.
(Note - mine has front rotors / rear drums, and it's on my "to-do" list to find a conversion for the rear to disc.)
6. External engine mods - read mine. I'd recommend chrome instead of stainless for looks. However, if you find SS headers that are 306, 308, or some other alloy than 304, you will retain the clean SS look - 304 develops surface rust after a bit - just enough to discolor (and irritate).

·
Registered
50 Posts
(Oh yeah...)

Forgot something - about the rough idle - check your plug wires!

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
you wouldn't have came from jbody.org would you? i'm still a member there, but just drop in once in a while to see what people are doing, dont really ever post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I was on j-body

Thanks guys for all the replies. The idle has been ok, nothing I was too concerned about. The oil consumption stopped ???, doesn't burn any oil now. The hum is still there, but I have another problem. See my newest thread.

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
Mine has a somewhat harsh idle as well. Its just typical. Sometimes it will want to drop down to about 300rpm and like Soykes said I just have to hit the gas a little. It has stalled on me a few times when sitting still if I let it. Fires back up just fine. Funny thing is since installing the programmer it doesnt stall anymore. The idle will drop to 350-400rpm for 10-15 seconds or so then comes back up. Had the Iac and tps cleaned, then replaced while still under warrenty with no change in behavior. So it's just another electrical quirk to my beloved D :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.