DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its been ages since ive been around here. ive needed a four door for work for some time now so i haven't put any money in my reg cab. i need to make up some of the performance difference from the extra 400 lbs. can you guys recommend a cam for me. i want something hot. not all top end but a little more lift and duration helps everywhere right? something with good low end and midrange.

jason

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is that about the same as crane260? basicly a mild aftermarket cam right? i didn't plan on a custom tune. maybe a superchips or something. i guess the cam will add more air, which will lean it out at wot. does the diablo let you add fuel. is a tune necessary? i want one for the advanced timing but i guess if it adds the fuel i need too thats fine. this is a daily driver work truck, is there anything else i should consider? can i leave the springs and pushrods stock? this is a better cam than the 6.1 right?
jason

·
Registered
560 Posts
is that about the same as crane260? basicly a mild aftermarket cam right? i didn't plan on a custom tune. maybe a superchips or something. i guess the cam will add more air, which will lean it out at wot. does the diablo let you add fuel. is a tune necessary? i want one for the advanced timing but i guess if it adds the fuel i need too thats fine. this is a daily driver work truck, is there anything else i should consider? can i leave the springs and pushrods stock? this is a better cam than the 6.1 right?
jason
In short:

No. It's more aggressive than a 260.

You are looking for something hot, yet dont want to get a tune. Doesn't work like that. Assuming you get a CMR tune from one of the more popular tuners (especially KRC), they'll have a base tune that should already be safe for daily use.

Diablo does let you add fuel....I'll let some of the Hemi guys chime in on that, as I dont really have any experience with DSP.

springs and pushrods have to be changed. the 210 cams blow the doors off of a 6.1........

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
I agree with you cant want "hot" but no custom tuning also......those just dont go together. LOL

However, there are cams out there you can put in and get some decent upgrades from without the custom tuning. The custom tuning can be very costly for everything you need.

Make sure you know what you want, what your long term goals are and what overall you can afford because again, it isnt cheap but IMO, it is worth it.

·
Tex
3,717 Posts
i would say any cam other than the stock cam would benefit from custom tuning and any thing that's worth doing is worth doing right

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Sidewinder wouldn't "need" custom tuning, it would benefit from it, and will run nicely on Superchips. It's a proven cam with awesome low end and pulls much harder then stock all the way up to 6K. I personally believe this is one of the best cams out for QC's/4X4's.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sidewinder sounds like what i might want to go with. :)

·
Tex
3,717 Posts
i hope you have luck with FRi, they have a bad name on here as of late. they are popular on the lx forum though. the sidewinder seems to be a good choice for the qc like sam said

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, whats the best low end cam i can get from a reputable seller. gotta factor in a deal and reliable service here too.

·
BLACK
1,343 Posts
ok, whats the best low end cam i can get from a reputable seller. gotta factor in a deal and reliable service here too.
If you are set on the sidewinder you can usually find one in the classifieds on lx forum, that is where I got mine.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
are these new or used cams on the lx forums? how much savings are we talking. i planned on leaving the springs and pushrods alone like when i did h.o. cams in my dakota 4.7. is this gonna be all right?

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
are these new or used cams on the lx forums? how much savings are we talking. i planned on leaving the springs and pushrods alone like when i did h.o. cams in my dakota 4.7. is this gonna be all right?
No absolutely not, change the springs, the stock ones can and have broken. Also you need to remove the pushrods anyway so you might as well get the 6.1's.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
There was a new a few weeks back think at $350 free ship.
They aren't all that common and I don't think I've seen a used one under $250.
Of course you can allways buy new from FRI, unless they don't have one on the shelf and comp is out of cam cores to grind one again. For some reason for the last year or so there have been a number of cam core shortages and custom cam production then comes to screaming halt.

You need to swap to springs and push rods but that's under $100

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
There was a new a few weeks back think at $350 free ship.
They aren't all that common and I don't think I've seen a used one under $250.
Of course you can allways buy new from FRI, unless they don't have one on the shelf and comp is out of cam cores to grind one again. For some reason for the last year or so there have been a number of cam core shortages and custom cam production then comes to screaming halt.

You need to swap to springs and push rods but that's under $100
Keep in mind that one for 350 was a bit high but it also was from a guy in germany so i imagine it might cost a bit to get over here.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Keep in mind that one for 350 was a bit high but it also was from a guy in germany so i imagine it might cost a bit to get over here.
Think there was also somebody in the states doing the same.
The guy in Germany was $350 but something like $185 more to get it back in the USA. shipping, customs... you just don't want to play that game.
$350 ain't bad for a new cam free shipping that go go out the same day. FRI often runs special on lxforums but I think it's typically more like $400 with shipping direct from FRI.
Mine was something like $430 on sale after shipping costs way back when.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Is FRI actually still in business?

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Think so you'd have to look on lxfurms where they are sponsors.
I know their web guy has been gone quite a while, at which time they basically got locked out of their own website and email servers . Now it looks like the domain doesn't resolve....Ah the wonderful world of the net.

but not long ago someone was praising their quick delivery of a sidewinder.

Guess today it'd be better to contact em here
http://www.lxforums.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=171

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
This subject line of QC vs "2004 burgandy regular cab 2wd hemi ram" keeps confusing me.

Hellfire would require more supporting mods and a bit mo tricky to tune but heres one for $250 never installed... that one hellofadeal
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=213072

·
BLACK
1,343 Posts
I tried going on their website the other day and it no longer was available. It might have just moved but I couldn't find it. Makes me think something is up with them.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.