DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'm used to too many manual transmissions.....Have 4.7 A.T (Automatic Trans) QC with 3.92 gears. I was wondering if you fellow members shift from "Drive" to "Neutral" when stopped at a prolonged light? Is there any benefits of actual going to "Neutral" or just staying in "Drive" ? Do you shift to "N" , then apply your E-brake? Any thoughts on tranny wear and/or brake wear by doing this ? Thanks :drivingz:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry guys, resent this to the 3rd Gen Ram drivetrain RAM topics !!!

·
GenII Dakota
409 Posts
Well.. I have a Gen 1 Dakota.. and I do this.. This is my theory.. When Idle your truck will still move along and basicy you idle at a red light your engine is working against your brakes and I believe this is unnecessary effort and wear on your engine.. MINOR wear but I like the feeling of putting it in "N" and feeling the truck sit back and "relax".. hope it makes sense to everyone..

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
I can see the thought process behind it... but not how it'd actually make any kind of a difference.

BTW, it's moved...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think there would be more wear/tear and heat buildup from constantly shifting from N to D. I don't see an advantage.

You can stop quicker if you put your trans in N when approaching an icy intersection.

·
Registered
989 Posts
tourqe converter anyone?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
XPLOSV said:
When I'm at a light that I know is going to be a while, I just kill the engine.
Dang - You must have some very long traffic lights in Texas. I think start-up is more stressful on an engine than a few minutes of idle.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Jasonb61 said:
I believe startup is the hardest time your engine goes through..
Startup is only stressful on cold engines. When everything is up to temp, no big deal. The lubrication and such is already there.

And yeah, we have some lights that are 2 minutes or more, so why sit and burn gas?

·
Registered
989 Posts
how much gas can you really burn at an idle?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hemi5spd said:
how much gas can you really burn at an idle?
More than when you're not running?

What I do is not generally accepted practice, and I don't expect anyone to really sign on for it. I can live with that. Been like that my whole life, I guess. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
My GUESS (only a guess) is that the engine will use more gas starting up than idling for 2 minutes or so. Not to mention the wear and tear on the starter.

Also does the TC prevent the extra wear on the engine by basically doing the same thing that shifting into neutral does?

Dan

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
XPLOSV said:
More than when you're not running?

What I do is not generally accepted practice, and I don't expect anyone to really sign on for it. I can live with that. Been like that my whole life, I guess. :D
You'll probably use just as much gas to start the truck as idling.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
DonRam said:
Dang - You must have some very long traffic lights in Texas. I think start-up is more stressful on an engine than a few minutes of idle.

another great reason to not by a used ride.

·
Rumble Bee #2669
285 Posts
If I remember right... for most cars, you won't save fuel unless you would have idled for more than 40seconds. Im not sure what it would be for trucks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
you use more gas starting the engine then idling for a reasonable amount of time, sure if you where idling for say five minutes or so maybe you would burn more but practically no stoplight takes long enough to see a benefit from turning the motor off then on. furthermore, shifting to neutral to reduce wear on the brakes is ridiculous, your idle speed is so low/slow it takes very little brake depressment to keep from moving, so little I can't see how it would wear any brake components to any significant degree. also, how often do you come to a completely level stoplight where you can put it in neutral and not roll forward or backward w/o using the brakes, I know it's pretty rare for me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think I'll spend that extra $.01 on the fuel and conserve my $tarters life. Also I've had a battery seem fine one moment and 45 minutes later be too weak to start the vehicle. Relays, computers, I'd much rather have them go out in the gas station parking lot than in an intersection.

Don't most states have laws against putting it into neutral/park at lights? You have much less immediate control. Besides that, the idle speed goes up a little in N or P from what I remember. a small load at lower revs or no (lower anyway) load at higher revs? I doubt there is much difference in fuel useage/wear that could be measured w/o the help of NASA.

The cons outweigh the pros in both of these situations in my eyes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.