DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gurus. . . I have about 15k miles on my Mag RT and my company just sent me a new cellphone that just happens to be bluetooth enabled. Now, the only two options that my care did not have was sirius nor the UConnect system. I have a few questions:

1.) Has anyone added the UConnect feature as an added feature after purchasing their Magnum? Did the dealer install, or did you do it yourself?

2.) What kind of cost should I be looking to see for the hardware, then the installation?

3.) Is there anything aftermarket that I would want to go with instead, or is there functionality with the UConnect and my factory Navigation system that I won't want to live without?

4.) Is this just a wasted feature and I should just spend $100 on a Motorola handsfree earpiece?

Thanks to all for your replies. . .

Denthird ~~~~
Louisiana

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the factory u-connect option. It's really a neat item, but there is an echo that shows up at the wrong times. I hear it's really annoying to your callers. When I use my bluetooth earpiece, there is never an echo.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just installed the Uconnect add on last week. It was a straightforward install but it involved removing a bunch of trim pieces and soldering a couple of connections.

The unit was 290.00 from the dealer (I have seen it as low as 210.00 from others) and they quoted 120.00 to install.

I have the factory nav unit as well. When you hit the button it mutes the radio. The Uconnect has its own address book that you can program and dial folks by name. It also allows you to say the numbers that you want to dial. You will not have these options with a bluetooth ear piece (you might on your specific phone though).

I use both an earpiece and Uconnect. ear piece outside the car Uconnect inside the car.

Cheers

John

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
As digitalebola said, UConnect should run you about $300 or so. My dealer installed it for me for I think a 1 1/2 hr charge. Someone mentioned on another forum that if you have the part put in before vehicle delivery its got the full factory warranty, and if they do it afterwards you get one year, which is where you'd be at now.

Its definitely worth its weight in gold. I have never used the phone book but the ability to speak the phone number while my hands stay on the wheel is invaluable. Speaker volume is great (it does not run thru the stereo. My dealer put the speaker under the steering wheel and I can hear it fine).

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey Matt, which wireless phone do you use?.
I have been watching the Mot V710 from Verizon cause thats who I use but they have disabled a few things on it... Grrr

Am hoping the lawsuit in CA against them might make emm quit muckin up the bluetooth on the phone.

Thanks
BD..

·
Registered
47 Posts
while we're talking uconnect, is the system capable of displaying names associated with incoming calls? I have the factory installed version of uconnect. The numbers are displayed, but no names with incoming calls. I haven't figured out how to transfer my phone's profile to the uconnect. The phone's caller id displays the stored names with incoming calls. How do I get the uconnect to do the same?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey Jax, which service and which model phone???.

Thanx

·
Registered
608 Posts
Although the Uconnect came with my car, I didn't get a Bluetooth (V710) until about 3 months ago. I really like it. Having to drive around with an ear piece stuck in my head is not my idea of fun. All in all, I'm pretty happy with how it functions. However, I too would like to have a way to upload all my contacts (about 100) from my cell phone to my Uconnect. But, on the other hand, I just programmed in my "key" contacts. Hell, I don't much want to talk to anyone when I'm driving anyway.

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
BillyDsl said:
Hey Matt, which wireless phone do you use?
A Motorola v551. I'm on Cingular. Its a neat little phone.

I got it because it was the cheapest Bluetooth around. Either $50 or $99 with a 2-yr contract. I forget. It has worthless stuff on it like camera and video, but there was nothing in Bluetooth cheaper. Especially like the speakerphone, although of course I use uconnect in the car.

Heard about the Verizon lawsuit thing. Weird.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey, thnx guys..
I have been with Verizon a long time and they do have good service here in Houston. But looks like I need to check around some with these dif models cause I'm a computer guy and it's gonna peeeace me off when my BlueTooth phone won't do what it should.
I have always used motorola and it does allow you to backup/transfer your address book etc. with their connectivity kit. Basicly a cable and s/w, which I see for the V710 is called the Mobile Office Kit, with cable... huh.. this is a bluetooth enabled phone. Something is wrong when we need a cable.. lol
And even then I believe Veriz makes you pay them to transfer a pic or vid.. Grrrr

Ok, I'll quit ranting and go back to work.. lol

Thanks again guys.. :rck:

·
Registered
332 Posts
BillyDsl said:
Hey, thnx guys..
I have been with Verizon a long time and they do have good service here in Houston. But looks like I need to check around some with these dif models cause I'm a computer guy and it's gonna peeeace me off when my BlueTooth phone won't do what it should.
I have always used motorola and it does allow you to backup/transfer your address book etc. with their connectivity kit. Basicly a cable and s/w, which I see for the V710 is called the Mobile Office Kit, with cable... huh.. this is a bluetooth enabled phone. Something is wrong when we need a cable.. lol
And even then I believe Veriz makes you pay them to transfer a pic or vid.. Grrrr

Ok, I'll quit ranting and go back to work.. lol

Thanks again guys.. :rck:
Billy,
Check out this link. It's pretty cool and very high tech IMO but then, I'm old! I need to purchase a phone for my new SRT8 too but haven't gotten to that place yet. Hope this site helps you!
KK
http://www.myrateplan.com/cellphones/

PS: I have about 200 Magnum related web sites that that I have accumulated over the last 12-18 months. I have actually had to categorize them to make the file manageable! I'd be glad to send it to you or anyone else out there that may be interested. Just e-mail me @ [email protected] and mention the "Magnum Files" and I'll forward them to you guys.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Billy ... Maybe I was just lucky, but, with my V710, I haven't experienced any problems. None, nada, zilch, zero ... Nothing is "locked out" and I also have the cable and have transfered >230 email addresses and phone numbers to my phone from my laptop. I really like the voice activation. Just say a name and it finds it in your address book. The coverage is awsome here in N. Cal. I've had it in some real tough spots where other carriers couldn't send/receive and I did just fine. Again, maybe I'm just lucky, but, I've been with them for 4 years with no complaints.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanx qzking, and you are correct.. That is one of the best layed out sites and seems to be updated live as well. I have given it to many ppl and use it offen. Who ever did the layout needs a pat on the back for sure. I just hope none of my customers ever request such an elaborate layout.. lol

w5blt, your making me itchy dude.. I'm thinking you may have a later model with some of the probs fixed. Below is a link to a very informative article which also contains some tips on accessing secret menus etc.. These are from some time back when the phone was first released so maybe its gettin better.

http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710.html
And also be sure and check the original article as well.. http://www.pencomputing.com/wireless/motorolav710.html

btw, your nick lends me to believe you are a ham radio operator, if so you may have bumped into my older brother Ron, K5MKB..

Thanx again guys.. :rck:
BD..

·
Registered
608 Posts
BillyDsl said:
w5blt, your making me itchy dude.. I'm thinking you may have a later model with some of the probs fixed. Below is a link to a very informative article which also contains some tips on accessing secret menus etc.. These are from some time back when the phone was first released so maybe its gettin better.

btw, your nick lends me to believe you are a ham radio operator, if so you may have bumped into my older brother Ron, K5MKB..
I purchased my V710 off of Ebay about 4 months ago. I believe that Verizon acknowledged the error of their ways (due to law suits) and quit locking things out. (I think)

And yes, I am a Ham. Normally, a "5" call is in the central USA (more or less). However, mine previously belonged to my father (circa: 1932) which I acquired via a vanity call. I don't remember your brother's call off the top of my head. Then again, after talking to several thousand people, it's hard to remember everyone. -73-

·
Registered
332 Posts
w5blt said:
I purchased my V710 off of Ebay about 4 months ago. I believe that Verizon acknowledged the error of their ways (due to law suits) and quit locking things out. (I think)

And yes, I am a Ham. Normally, a "5" call is in the central USA (more or less). However, mine previously belonged to my father (circa: 1932) which I acquired via a vanity call. I don't remember your brother's call off the top of my head. Then again, after talking to several thousand people, it's hard to remember everyone. -73-
w5bit and Billydsl,
Just ordered the 710 from my provider. Still have a year on my plan or I could have gotten it for free. The penalty was about the same as I ended up getting the phone for. $180.00. Better than I could find, other than used, on e-bay.
KK

·
Registered
608 Posts
qzking said:
w5bit and Billydsl,
Just ordered the 710 from my provider. Still have a year on my plan or I could have gotten it for free. The penalty was about the same as I ended up getting the phone for. $180.00. Better than I could find, other than used, on e-bay.
KK
Just as a side note, the one that I bought off of Ebay, was new and it cost me about $240.00. What happens is that someone that has a Verizon account gets it on their account with a new 2 year agreement and then sells it. This was OK with me because I just wanted to avoid the commitment. Even through Verizon, I would have had only gotten about $100 off before I started to haggle with them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hooah! KK,
Keep us posted as to how it all works will ya..
Also I found another link you will want to take a look at for sure.. this guy is a v710 guru.. lots of tips, codes etc.. I'll put link @ bottom.

-------
Well I am clear on my plan and I think I can get it for 100 or 150 bucks from the local Verizon stores.

I can get it free from http://www.wirefly.com/
but when I start reading all the fine print I chicken out.. lol

-------
CQ 40meters, oops,, w5blt. After getting your phone from ebay did you just have your sp turn it on? or did you start with a new sp?.

------
Oh ya, here's that link.. The Cell Phone Scoop, really informative site w/forum

73s.. beens yrs sinse I heard that.. :tport:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.