DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, this weekend I'm looking to pick up a 71 Dodge Challenger R/T clone. This car is pretty solid and the guy is throwing in some new weather stripping, an extra side glass window, the original console with the shifting linkage, and that's about it I can think it. It needs a little work paint wise but, the body from what I could tell looking at the car was really good not much bondo in if any at all. I crawled up the car and inspected every inch. Looked under the truck mat and all turned out very well.
The car was pretty much rust free and it has a lot of new parts on it. I drove the car and it ran great. I'd say I drove it at least 30-40 miles. Handled alright and rode better than a newer Ram I used to have. Nothing leaked from what I could see and while it has a few areas to be worked the guy is asking $15k for the car. This car is one of 2500 Deputy Challengers built in 1971. In another post I will include the details. Tell me what you guys think.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
71 Dodge Challenger.
This car was originally a 318 3-speed car & has been up graded to a 383 magnum & 727 auto car. It was a deputy model from what I was told , the rear windows don’t have any handles, there fixed in place. This car does not have any seat belts but it does have the bolt holes for them, I just haven’t installed any yet. I also have a center console and all the linkage for this car if your interested in it.
“I have had this car for a year and have been fixing it up to sell it.”
Prior to me owning the vehicle, the following was done.
1 383 = Motor & 727=Trans were gone through, they both appear to be very strong.
2 Body was painted and new quarters & fenders were put on, inner fenders & trunk pans are original, some rust was repaired.
3 All body bushings and front end parts were replaced, aligned and new brakes were done.
4 New head liner and carpet,(now there is some fading in carpet, no tears.)
5 New dash pad, tires, air shocks, gas tank, front shocks, B&M slap stick shifter.

Since I have owned it, I have done the following items.

1 Installed a new steering gear box & power steering pump.
2 Installed new gas tank seals and gaskets.
3 Installed a new Electric cooling fan and thermostat.
4 Installed a Edelbrock performer intake and 750 cfm 4-Barrel carb.
5 Installed a new w/washer pump & reservoir & a coolant overflow tank.
6 Installed 383 magnum exhaust manifolds & a new master cylinder.
7 Installed a new battery tray & brackets along with a new battery.
8 Installed a new hood insulation pad and a new trunk mat.
9 Installed a lot of new Rubber body parts that were needed, trunk, hood ect…
10 Installed new decals for trunk & under hood & new chrome kick sill plates.
11 I pulled the motor installed a new rear main seal, sand blasted the motor compartment and repainted, I completely detailed under motor compartment.
12 I had a glass company remove and re-glue both front and back glass.
13 I had a sure grip posi rear end installed with 355 gears.

Items that still need to be done, or aren’t perfect.

1 Bumpers should be re-chromed & both side glasses have scratches or pitts.
2 Paint is starting to show some age, mostly because it was driven on some gravel, over all it still looks good with a wax job.
3 Has a old pioneer stereo and old slotted 14 inch rims.

Attachments

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
With the price of E bodies nowadays i'd say it is a pretty good deal even if it is a 318 car. It doesn't look like much is missing and would be a good driver. I can't comment on the quality of the repairs that were made without seeing them in person. Looks like a decent car.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Looks like a damn nice, straight car. Sounds like a pretty fair price.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, I see that parts are getting more expensive for these older cars no matter if you drive a 71 Chrylser New Yorker or if you drive a 71 Plymouth Cuda. Well, the check should be to him Wednesday and I pickup the car either Friday or Saturday. Take care and have a good night guys.

·
USAF MOPAR MILITARY BRAT
3,441 Posts
it's a nice lookin e- body. You have to take into consideration on a good side that it is a solid top and not vinyl. I notice that with vinyl tops...it tends to rust around the chrome trim alot. Put the original rally rims on it...and you're good to go!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah not to mention I don't have to worry about a vinyl top either lol. Anyways, I'm looking already at getting some Rallyes for this car. I will say this car was an original 318, 3 speed car and is a Deputy model which I show production stats for the Deputy to be at 2,503 for the V8 models in 71.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well here's an update I mailed out the check and hoping he has gotten the check by now or early tomorrow. That way on Friday I should be picking it up.

Steven

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys just picked it up a couple of weeks ago but, I have been very sick lately so I haven't been able to clean her up and get some pictures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.