DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,369 Posts
nice looking intake......could you post up some dimensions and parts list?
I don't have dimensions, but my signature has the link to my sewer pipe intake... I kept the factory air filter box, and lost the hemi hat. I did put in an AMSOIL air filter.

HemiMike, your intake looks good. I have improved mine since the original install...wrapped some fiberglass insulation and aluminum tape around it to keep the heat out. I'll have to see if I have a picture.
Welcome to DT to you, HemiMike, and Miami RAM...

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
WELCOME MIAMIRAM, and BIGBOI where did u get the piping i never could fid it on e-bay but i did just get the dual alum w/ filters i just want to extend em down in front.
oh, and by the way i guess we lucked out on hanna but watch ike!
What piping are you looking for?

Not sure where I saw this, but a week or so ago I came across a pic of someone that had attached the air filter directly to the throttle body. At least it looked like they had. Was just wondering how they did it and what the performance was like afterwards. And can someone tell me where to find this pic again?
I do on my 3.7. It seems that theres more pick up at WOT, and its loud as hell!

·
Registered
48 Posts
It wouldn't actually push the gases. It would probably create more of a pulling effect because the air, a "fluid", would move to the area of the intake with the lowest pressure. Creating a pulling effect, drawing air into the intake to replace the air moving to the areas of lower pressure.

Yes, it would probably work similar to the Ramhammer, and every other intake that takes advantage of Bernoulli's Principle.
I'm fairly sure thats the concept behind the stock intake system. The air flows from the rather large filter box into the narrow connecting tube, with a higher velocity but lower pressure, enters that chamber right before the throttle body where it slows back down creating a resevoir of filtered air ready for the engine. The small resrictive stock tube "could" be using bernoulli's concept to force extra air into that pre throttle body box. I could be wrong though. Either way it's more restrictive than it needs to be.

·
Chief's Pride!!!
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I didn't see it but i think a little more heat would be down the hatch than necessary.but it could be done.

·
Paper Chaser
78 Posts
I got my shitter pipe drying up right now, used 4" with a spectra filter,
1) 90 Degree
1) Rubber 4"-4"
1) Rubber 4"-3"(at the throttle body)
1) Big Ass Spectre Air Filter

Question :
1) I got my airflow sensor in my shitter pipe with silicone, but as far as the oil breather vaccum line.. Is it safe to run my truck for the night with that line disconnected until I can pickup a small breather filter tommorow?

2) Do I need to reset my computer or anything after I put the SHITTER PIPE on?

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
1) yes, you can leave it disconnected temporarily...cap it..
2) you can if you want so that it learns faster...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Got a problem, I just went and bought the filters, then went to Lowes and Home Depot, neither had the pipe yall are talking about. Any suggestions or substitutes yall can recomend?

I have to work all day tomorrow but have my brother calling different plumbing companies to see if he can locate the pipe. Hopefully he will get somewhere with that. If not then I will have to special order this different type of pvc that the company I work for uses in fire sprinkler systems, semi-fire retardent. The outside actually forms this protective fireproof shell once it catches fire, I am pretty sure that would work.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yea, go to any other irrigation & pump supply store, i'm sure they'r there.
You'r talking about thin wall?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just a thought...Thin-walled PVC (any PVC for that matter) is subject to deterioration over time due to the amount of heat it will be exposed to under the hood. For comparison, when using PVC for plumbing, it is only on the cold water side. Thin-walled will flow more air than Sch.40 but is subject to embrittlement that leads to failure. Still, if you make and change out your homemade CAI constantly as you try new designs, you'll probably stay ahead of the problem. The black pipe is ABS and has higher temperature resistance. Using 4"-Sch.40 will still net you higher air volume.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My home brew intake for what it's worth. All 3" ABS with a K&N RE0910 filter.
Not yet decided what to do for paint. Definitely much more zip since I've installed it and of course it sounds great too.
I tucked my filter down behind the headlight as far as I could get it. I used 2 part epoxy to cement the PCV and temp sensor. Turns out I should have used a high heat silicone thou as the epoxy doesn't seem to like the heat that's under the hood. About $80 CAD altogether.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
paint it same as your truck.

·
Daytona 8398
946 Posts
Is there a place on here where someone has posted step by step of making your homebrew cai. I did a couple of searches and could not find any. I have no idea how to do this but would like to try and make my own instead of buying one. I thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's just badass!

Maybe you guys should get into a business together and give the schematics to Lowe's and Home Depot or something to market a kit?

I've got the K&N intake on my truck, but I have to confess, I'm jealous of your resourcefulness and engenuity!

Now make a ram-air mod out of clothes dryer components!

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Good call. I'd imagine you could pick up Dodge mineral gray just about anywhere too. Thanks for the idea!:)

I think you intake looks good. After you paint it post some pics.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
That's just badass!

I've got the K&N intake on my truck, but I have to confess, I'm jealous of your resourcefulness and engenuity!

Now make a ram-air mod out of clothes dryer components!
I think I have already seen that on here (I'm sure). Been done but I guess it works well.

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,369 Posts
Alright, I have actually dumped my sewer pipe in favor of a mandrel bent piece of 3.5" exhaust pipe. Here's a basic rundown of how I did it, what I used,and a couple of pix.
I did this on my 84 Jetta GLI years back, replacing the plastic factory S pipe with a 45* bent 3" steel exhaust pipe. It was worth a few hp. For this one, I actually stuck a 2x4 out the air filter box opening to see where it would intersect with the same line (another 2x4) coming out of the Tbody. I decided that I needed to cut the pipe 5-5.25 inches from the edge on the inside of the bend and 4-4.25 inches from the edge on the outside of the bend. (I ended up cutting them 5 1/8th and 4 1/8th inches.) Edge, as in the outside edge of the pipe that was parallel to the cut I would make. Yes, this yields a pipe that has slightly less than 90*. (first picture w/potting soil bag). The measuring stick shows you roughly where I was cutting. I then took that piece and clamped it to the end I had not altered. If I had taken that end to a muffler shop, I could have let them expand it a bit and slide the pieces together. I didn't as it was past 8pm at this time in the project, so I hacksawed off about two inches from the clean end. I used the slightly angled end to match up to the air filter box. If you spin it to the right position, with the longer part at or near the top, it all lines up and is a smooth line to the other pipe and into the Tbody. I wish I'd done this two years ago! I used 3" PVC rubber pipe clamps to hold it together, and I used the original rubber boot from the Tbody and the hemi hat at the Tbody. You can see the slight angle at the filter box in the bottom picture. It is a tight fit over that 3.5" pipe, I won't lie, but it works! The truck sounds even better when I drop the hammer now! Dave
I almost forgot, I did use a file to clean up all of the hacksawed edges, otherwise this would not have gone together well, and I'd be bleeding a lot more! Take your time, clean off all the burrs... I might could be persuaded to make another one if you are interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Im going to have this shot a soon

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am going to do this...I liked the design of HEMI450's, where the filters. yes two of them were located way down by the fog light mounts. I am just wondering if there would be the issue with classic "line loss" it seems as though there is lots of tubing running from the TB down to the bottom of the bumper...maybe thats the reason for two sets of tubes running. I would be more than interested in hearing peoples thoughts, as there was really no response to Hemi's setup.

Has anyone run this kind of "double filter" setup on the track?
Do you think the double lines are just overkill and a waste of money?

I will be brewing up this homebrew this weekend I think. Will post pictures

161 - 180 of 188 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.