DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been asked been asked time and again already, but I am lowsy at searching. I have a 97 CTD 2500 4x4 and am fixing the truck up. I would like to know what is the biggest set of tires I can put on the truck with a stock suspension. I am looking at buying the American Racing Mace 17 or 18 inch rims but am open to suggestions. I want as big a tire as I can put on without having to cut, but also want the tires to be wide and am open to any rim/tire combo, preferably black.

I am confused by the whole offset/load capacity when dealing with rims/tires and would like any info you guys have to offer. Also if you have pics of paticular wheels/tire combos I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

Hogfish

· 4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,520 Posts
the biggest tires you could go are 35x12.5. They might rub a little but people put these on stock 3/4 tons all the time.

· Big Green
8,340 Posts
I say 33 unless you do the leveling spacer then go with the 35 the spacer is pretty cheep and makes a huge diffrence. This was what I did on mine I have a 2000 v10 2500

· Registered
2,032 Posts
Ugh... isn't there something like this sticky'd at the top of the page...

Oh well, it's been a while, I'll chime in here too.

33's or 35's depending on who you ask. Same goes with if you add the leveling kit with it or not. The "problem" with the leveling kit is that if you're still using the stock control arms, you effectively move the front axle "back" far enough for it to matter in deciding what tires to run. Some will tell you that you can run the 35's without issue, others are going to tell you that 33's are the only way to go. Bottom line, it's going to depend on the end lift and tire and wheel combo that you choose to go with.

My best suggestion.... Get ahold of your local tire shop, especially if it's a nationwide chain such as Discount Tire, or (gasp) even WalMart. Tell them what you're looking at, and tell them you want to LOOK at how the two different set ups work on your truck. A large, nationwide chain will NOT have a problem doing so. They'll order you BOTH sets, slap 'em on your truck and let you see which you like better..... They did it for me, they should do it for you.

Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.