DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have looked through all the posts for the 2nd gen durango;s concerning towing and didnt see anything quite like this. So if i am posting a repeat I apoligize.

I own a 2006 durango adventurer (SLT) with the 5.7 hemi and the 3.55 rear. we are getting ready to start towing a travel trailer with it, and I need to get the vehicle setup for towing. It didnt come from the factory with the tow package. I am guessing that I will need to add the PS cooler, the tran cooler, the harness, the hitch, and the 7way wiring. The vehicle does have the 160 amp alternator and 750 amp battery. Is there a package like this that I can order from the dealer, or can anyone let me know the approximate cost of having this installed. Can i just order the tow group package and be done with it. I havent approached my dealer yet, as I wanted the truth from the experts (you guys) so I would know if he was bs,ing me. I am pretty mechanically inclined so I could install the hitch and wiring and maybe even the coolers if the instructions were pretty clear.

Anxiously awaiting your answers...

Stan in Virginia

·
Power Aficionado
1,823 Posts
Hey Stan,

My Durango also did not come with the Tow Package. I tow a lot. A lot of miles pulling 4,500 ~ 6,500lbs.

I added the Mopar Class IV hitch as well as the Mopar wiring harness (it comes with the 7 way hook-up only. The 4 way is not included. Though you can likely splice into the 7-Way like I plan on doing.) All of which was fairly easy to install myself. You have to remove the rear bumper and bracket to replace it with the hitch. I picked up hitch and wiring from my dealer. I think total bill was $400...? I'll double check.

The Transmission Cooler is fairly good size as it is. Even for the non-tow-group Durangos. I have been told that we don't need a larger one, nor an auxiliary one. I did a part search and actually there is only one Trans Cooler part listed for the 5.7 Durango; which is a different part number than the 4.7/3.7 trans cooler. So I am convincing myself the "oversized trans cooler" is all marketing and they have the same cooler on all 2nd Gen 5.7 Durangos. :dunno: It also did not show a part number for an auxilary cooler. *When I was considering bumping up the Trans cooler I was going to get one off of a 2500 Ram at car-part.com but was told not to bother.

Power steering cooler should be fine also.

I had the 3.55 gears from the factory and completely swapped in the factory 3.92s front and back off of a lightly rolled Durango for ~$900 I've also been told that we can't get larger gears than 3.92 in our 8.25 differentials. I haven't looked into that much though.

How long, tall and heavy is your travel trailer?

Good Luck and welcome to Dodgetalk!

·
Power Aficionado
1,823 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot yours is a 4x2 and thus the 9.25 rear end. That would mean you could bump your differential gearing up beyond 3.92 if you wanted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Havent actually gotten the trailer yet. Have been looking. Found one we liked, but the dealer is playing me like a violin. He quoted a price and then i found it online for a different price from him. He staed the trailer was a PUMA 29 ft and that my durango would pull it easily with just a hitch and equalizer. He knew that i had no towing gear onboard the D. He stated the trailer weighed 5900 and that loaded would only be about 6900. I found the manufacturers specs and it weighs like 7600 dry weight pshing up to 8900 loaded. And the length turned out to be 33.5 feet long when you factored in the hitch.

How hard is it to put in the 3.92? Could it be done in a driveway jacked up? Or would I need to take it to a hobby shop and put it on a lift?

So I dont really need the tranny cooler and PS cooler?

From reading the forum, it appears that putting in the receiver and wiring isnt that involved. Does the wiring plug into factory plugs under the hood (cept for the blue wire i would route through the firewall to under the dash)?

Thanx for the welcome. Have lurked on this forum for 2 years, but never really posted much.

·
Registered
292 Posts
We have a D w/ the trailer tow package which includes the 3.92 rear end as well as larger tow mirrors, trans cooler, blah bla blah bla blah. Maximum to rating is 8950. A dry weight trailer of 7,600 would likely be pushing the limits of a Durango. Add into your dry weight the weight of any accessories (awning, water, batteries, LP, food, clothing, etc.) PLUS the weight of all passengers in the vehicle minus 150 lbs for the driver (already factored in by Dodge) and you can EASILY add 1,000+ pounds to the dry weight making your weight very close if not over the 8950 max weight.

Our trailer is 5k dry (as weighed) and has been loaded to 6,800 plus people. The Hemi wants to strain going up steep grades when not in tow/haul, but does fairly well in tow/haul. Personally I wouldn't get a max weight trailer over 8k.

Just food for thought.

·
Power Aficionado
1,823 Posts
Swapping the rear axle is pretty easy. You'd need to do it where there isn't much of an incline. Couple Jack Stands, a good 100# jack, a 1/2" impact will make it go faster but not required (makes taking the bolts off the driveshaft easy). The problem that I think is inevitable is matching the driveshaft with the new differential so that it is balanced/in-line. www.car-part.com and do a search. If possible have them paint the differential flange where the weights on the driveshaft are. That will help you get it right the first time. Maybe check to see what it would cost you for 4.10 gears compared to swapping the axle. 4.10s will cost more, but might get you more benefit if you do max the towing capacity out. :dunno: just a thought. but I agree with cgebbia and wouldn't go over 8k.

From what I remember the wiring hooks directly into the rear lights and into another connector. The wire loom extends from the rear to the front and I remember having to hard wire a red wire and ran the blue wire inside under the dash, but I don't remember anything other than that.

That is a big trailer, yet I still don't believe there is a 'different' trans cooler or power steering cooler, so yes you should be fine. I've been fine with the towing I've done so far. I am going to have the tranny flushed so we'll see how much metal is deposited down there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So during lunch today, I went out and looked in front of my radiator to verify if i had the coolers. Well lo and behold, I had both of them there. Funny as its not on the build sheet (unless Adventurer package means that I get them. Might be why i also have the big alternator and battery). So the stealer wants 258 dollars for the hitch and 154 for the 7 way wiring. They want 198 to install them both. I looked in the forward most fuse box under the hood on the drivers side, and there is 2 sockets for what looks like relays labeled t-left tail, tow, stop and t-right tail, tow, stop. Are those factory wiring to plug into or what? I decided to stay away from the big trailer. we are looking for a max of 21-24 feet. Personally I would have a popup but wifey doesnt like the small room it has. So we keep looking. Will check the local junk yards for a damaged D and see if any have the 3.92. Agree with marking the alignment so to keep it balanced.

I have seen the harnesses that plug into the rear lights but thought they wouldnt work with the 06's?

·
locogk
5,856 Posts
i have a 2006 ram 1500 4.7 my camper weights 3600 dry its a 27 ft r vision and i have 355 gears and i would like to up grade but it costs

for the hitch,wiring, weight distrubition hitch and brake control you can get it done cheaper from a rv place if you get a camper from the dealer talk to them to install at a discout rate or on my last truck it was done for 300

i installed the hitch the wiring and the brake control myselfon my present truck it just takes some time
if they want to sell you a camper thay will deal on the towing hook ups
becareful of the weight ours is 3600 lbs dry and with the stuff in it its proberly 4500 lbs and i only put around 5 gallons of water in the black tank when i tow to help keep the black water tank a little cleaner

loco

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
OUr Ds.. well the 5.7L Hemi's with the 3.92 gears are rated to tow 500lbs more than a Ram 1500 with 3.92s and a 4.7L (Well I compared my 04D to my dad's 08 Ram 1500 4x4)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I decided to stay away from the big trailer. we are looking for a max of 21-24 feet. Personally I would have a popup but wifey doesnt like the small room it has. So we keep looking.
Have you considered a hybrid? Sometimes called an expandable. Imagine a hard sided trailer w/ pop-out bed ends. A 22' hybrid can be as big as 30+' with the bed ends down. Tows as 22', sleeps like 30+. Our hybrid has 3 queen size beds plus the full size dinette conversion and full size gaucho. Also, they're generally light (4-6,000 pounds). We started w/ a pop-up which was great in that it opened up to 26' long, but opening and closing were a chore.

Don't forget to look into a brake controller and weight distributing hitch (WDH). The WDH will really help w/ tail dragging, and the brake controller is required by many states for trailers over 2,000 pounds. There is a quick connect under the dash for the brake controller, just get the right harness from the brake controller manufacturer (we like our Hoppy controller) and you can install one in less than 1/2 hour.

·
locogk
5,856 Posts
cgebbia nice looking camper we have a 27 ft r vision we love it sorry about the hijacking thread

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Stan:

If you are going to make the gear swap, go with the 4.10s. The labor is the same, just different parts. You also might consider adding a limited slip carrier while you are at it if you don't have the stability/traction control system.

A fellow D owner here in Ohio made the swap from 3.55 to 4.10 in his 05 D with the 4.7 motor, and has was VERY pleased with the results.

I think the total cost was around $1k for everything at a dealer. He provided the ring /pinion set and the carrier for them.

Don

·
Power Aficionado
1,823 Posts
Don,

Initially, I believe, we were referring to swapping entire axles (that's what I did, but I didn't make that very clear in the beggining of the thread) rather than just the ring & pinion. I got both of my differentials for about $900 shipped. so I would hope he could get a 9.25 rear diff w/ 3.92s for only $500-600. That way there is no need for break-in or gear whine.

But, by having the 9.25 he has the option to go beyond 3.92 and that is what I would probably do, 4.10 for sure or even maybe 4.56 for racing and the larger tires that I have with a locker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.