DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace my driver side front hub assemble and I need to Replace all four ball joints while Im doing it. My questions will I beable to do this job myself with a balljoint press or will if be to much of a pain in the ass and should I take it to a shop. Were very mechanically capable so thats not a problem but Ive never done a set of ball joints on a dodge before so Im not sure what to expect. If its a job ill be able to do in my driveway that would be great so I dont have to pay a shop for the labor, So any pointers or helpfull tips would be appreciated.

Also whats the torque spec on the big ass outer axle Hub cotter pin nut so I know when i put it back together.

Thanks,
-john

· Built Not Bought
1,861 Posts
If you have or can rent a balljoint press. Its pretty easy.
Hub nut should be torqued down to 125 ft pounds.
Its an 1 11/16th nut

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah I can rent a ball joint press from autozone so thats no big deal, I just wasnt sure whether or not they would come out easily since i was sitting there looking at them and they looked like they were in there hardcore. And you say the nut is 1 11/16 huh, damn.. I went to sears and bout a 1 3/4 socket cuz thats what I thought it was but it worked anyway so I guess its close enough, lol.

thanks,
-john

· Built Not Bought
1,861 Posts
Yeah 1 3/4" is close enough, but over time it can strip the nut.

· Do It In A Van
8,067 Posts
I thought the upper ball joint was threaded in the control arm? Or did they stop doing this?

· Built Not Bought
1,861 Posts
Nope pressed in.
Actually Ive never seen a balljoint thats threaded in. Ive seen kingpins that were thread to the top of the inner c

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.