DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys that have lifted trucks use. I only have a t bar crank and am about to get 35s put on, but I don't think my jack will cut it anymore. The only option I see is the ji-lift jacks but I don't want something that big in my cab all the time, any one have suggestions.

· Registered
690 Posts
If you have a toolbox, you could get a 4x6" wood block that is about 6" long and just keep it in your toolbox or inside the wheel of your spare. I don't really know why I am trying to give you idea's. I have been running 315's for about 2+ years and have not done anything to prevent a ton of grief if I ever get a flat. Guess I should go get a block.

· Registered
133 Posts
I'm about to do a lift and 35" tires as well, I think a block would work out ok

· Registered
690 Posts
Bottle jacks work great, actually you would probably use a 6 ton, for the height. Problem is they usually do not fit in the stock location. Ok, if you have a toolbox or under your rear seat.

· sans sanity
1,538 Posts
I have used a bottle jack for years and i'm very happy with it. There are plenty of lifting points under the truck if your just changing a tire on one corner. My small (2 ton) jack and a couple short pieces of 2X4 (for a base) would fit under the seat with no problem but i have a truck box that is more convenient.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just bought a 6 ton bottle jack using the most accurate measurings tools, my eyes it looks like it'll get the job done. Plus it fits under my seat where the stock jack went. :)

· Registered
491 Posts
BicycleBob said:
Just bought a 6 ton bottle jack using the most accurate measurings tools, my eyes it looks like it'll get the job done. Plus it fits under my seat where the stock jack went. :)

That is good to know. What one did you get and what was the costif you don't mind sharing?

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I decided to actually compare it to the stock both fully extended It's only an inch and a little over a half longer than the stocker. So much for for just eying it probably should have measured before I bought it. I don't know if the 8 ton is longer but it's not much bulkier so I'm going to go trade them out and see.

· Registered
356 Posts
I don't know if it is the same brand but the 6 ton is 16 1/2" and the 8 ton is 18" on theat link. What I do is leave a floor jack in the bed. but I have 37's and at the moment all I have for a spare is the factory spare so either way I am kinda screwed. When taxes get here I will have a tire gate and a full sized spare. I am thinking of finding a way to mount a hi-lift jack to the tire gate......

· Registered
296 Posts
where do you lift with the highlift jack to change a tire? On the body pinch weld?

· sans sanity
1,538 Posts
With a hight lift your sort of limited to using your hitch or tow hooks as lifting points unless you have one of these.
http://www.hi-lift.com/products/liftmate.htm

I tried this on the stock bumpers and it held...but didn't make me comfortable at all.
http://www.hi-lift.com/products/bumperlift.htm

I would not use a high lift for "repairs" or working under the truck. I'm of the opinion that is better used as an extraction tool for off road use. They can be very dangerous.
My 2 cents.

· Registered
296 Posts
ya i have always used them for recovery, i couldn't imagine using one to change a tire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.