DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my 84 crewcab off the road by the end of October to avoid the rust monster here in New Hampshire. I've never stored a vehicle before and need advice on the best way to do it. It will be off the road for about 6 months. Going to store it in a garage.

I plan on:

Washing it and vacuuming the interior
Doing an oil change
Filling fual tank and adding fuel stabilizer
Putting it on jackstands via the axles, to take weight off tires
Taking out battery
Putting a breathable cover on it
Putting steel wool in the axhaust tips, to keep mice out

Any other suggestions?

Should I start it up every few weeks, or not start it at all for the 6 months?

I also heard that putting a plastic sheet under the truck and then tucking it up into the doors and wheelwells will create a vapor barrier and keep mice/bugs out. Is this a good idea? It's supposed to keep moisture from coming up off the garage floor and getting under the body/frame.

·
Registered
601 Posts
All I do is fill it up , Put Sta-Bill in the tank connect a small trickle charger to the battery & plug one of those pest deterents in for the mice ( You know those boxes that put out those ultra-sound waves to scare aways rodents) But I do try to go & start her up every once in awhile!!!
Probably more for my "benefit" rather than the Trucks!!!.. I seem to miss her around the middle of every month & I go "check" up on her... L.O.L

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
I lean towards the 'starting it up every couple of weeks'... And keeping a trickle charger on the battery.

As for the mice, the first couple of years my mother-in-law was here, we would take the cab-over camper off her truck and store it in the shop. We would put D-CON and traps inside, but she'd still get mice.
About 3-4 years ago, I bought her this little electronic gizmo that you plug in the wall and it lets out this very annoying high-pitched warbley screech...
We put that inside the camper and haven't had a mouse since.

(The only prob with this is, if I'm out in the shop, I gotta listen to it too.. :WHT: )

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
In my opinion, if you are going to start it up every couple of weeks, let the engine come up to operating temperature before you shut is off. in this way any condensate that has formed will boil off.

Although this goes without saying, leave the garage door open while it is running, preferable with an exhaust hose to take the exhaust out of the garage

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
6 months? I wouldn't even worry about it, just do something to keep away the pests. The truck will be fine. I've seen engines sit for 5-6 years and fire right up with a fresh battery. Jack stands under the axles is a good idea, as is the fuel stabilizer. I wouldn't put steel wool in the tailpipe, unless you want a rusty pipe. And there shouldn't be that much moisture coming off of a concrete floor, unless there's water on it regularly.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
acton mike said:
In my opinion, if you are going to start it up every couple of weeks, let the engine come up to operating temperature before you shut is off. in this way any condensate that has formed will boil off.

Although this goes without saying, leave the garage door open while it is running, preferable with an exhaust hose to take the exhaust out of the garage
Yes, I did plan on doing that if I started it up.

But it is a great point! ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speed Dragon said:
6 months? I wouldn't even worry about it, just do something to keep away the pests. The truck will be fine. I've seen engines sit for 5-6 years and fire right up with a fresh battery. Jack stands under the axles is a good idea, as is the fuel stabilizer. I wouldn't put steel wool in the tailpipe, unless you want a rusty pipe. And there shouldn't be that much moisture coming off of a concrete floor, unless there's water on it regularly.
I was told to use steel wool because mice couldn't/wouldn't chew through it. Not that a mouse is gonna jump 2 feet up into my tail pipes! :D

The plastic sheet underneath may be overkill, but a car site recommended it.

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
2low4me said:
I was told to use steel wool because mice couldn't/wouldn't chew through it. Not that a mouse is gonna jump 2 feet up into my tail pipes! :D
That would like making a full court jump shot, but never underestimate where those pesky critters can or can't get into.. ;)

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
bherder said:
That would like making a full court jump shot, but never underestimate where those pesky critters can or can't get into.. ;)
Yeah they can definitely get into the damndest places, but if you crank it up every other week or so they won't stay around.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Speed Dragon said:
Yeah they can definitely get into the damndest places, but if you crank it up every other week or so they won't stay around.
Yeah, ain't that the truth. You guys probably won't believe me on this story but..... When we moved down here to Georgia from New York, we used an old pull-behind camper as a trailer. We just stuffed all of our spare odds and ends into it. Well my brother was pulling the camper with his truck and we were riding behind him going about 65mph through West Virginia. When my mom pointed out something "rolling" around on the bumper to the camper. We pulled up closer to the rear of the camper to see what it was and there was a mouse running back and forth along the bumper! We watched it for about 20 minutes, and then it crawled through a hole in the back compartment and went back into the camper! Never underestimate the places mice can get into. They are very pesky and versatile creatures. These little rodents can be quite the "evil kineveils'" So a two foot jump into a tail pipe shoulden't be too hard... especially if they crawl along the bumper and then get down into the pipes. But anyways, Do what you have stated thatyou were going to do, and my dad has always told me that if you wax a car before you store it without wiping off the residue, it helps keep chemicals and other contaminants and corrosive salts of of the vehicle. Just leave the hazy white wax residue on it and buff it off in the spring. I've never done it but he's been doing it for years on his barricuda and it still looks good as new.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Just drive it down here to Arizona, and I will take care of it for you......We don't have mice, the "buzzzzzzzzz tail creeeeepy crawlers" take care of them......But no fair recording the milage when you park it :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.