DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Former Ram owner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2000 ram sport 5.9l for about 2 years now and she's always run great and been extremely reliable. However, the past month or so now she's been acting up. About 3 weeks ago I was on my way home from work and out of nowhere she kept acting like she wanted to stall out. Once the RPM's were down around idle range, it purred like a kitten (this was all while moving... I was on the highway and couldnt pull over). As soon as I would try to step on the gas, it would spit and sputter like it wanted to stall. First I though engine, but if I put it into neutral, it would rev up just fine. So then I though transmission. So I downshifted to 2nd and it still did it... even tried first (at this point I was only doing about 10mph anyways and pissing off some drivers behind me), and it was no different. Then just as fast as it happened, it was gone and she ran perfectly fine. I had no other problems til about an hour ago when i was coming home from my friend's house. Once again she was running good and purring like a kitten and then I slow down to take a turn and all of a sudden I have no power steering... I look down and she had stalled out. I coasted into a side street and tried to restart but all it would do was make a quick fire as if it were going to start, but wouldnt. So I let it sit for about 5 min or so and tried again and it started right up and ran perfectly normal. I drove it around for about half an hour and it ran just as good as when I got it. I keep my programmer in the truck, and it didnt throw any codes either time. I am at a complete loss as to what is going on, and Im beginning to not trust her anymore but I really need to... she is my only transportation.

Here is a list of what exactly is done:
2000 Ram 1500 5.9L sport
14"x2" round air filter
Gibson sport side exhaust
superchips programmer (currently set on performance)

Now I am not 100% sure, but i believe my plenum gasket is leaking... its on the to do list. It almost sounds like I'm having a fuel deliver problem going by the sound/way its acting. Are these trucks known for having fuel filters/injectors going bad? I used 87 for about a year, but have been using 93for the past year or so. The other thing that I am partially debating is possibly my torque converter... but that was based solely on the original occurance... this past one doesnt make sense. The reason I believe I may have a t.c. issue is because if I try to do a breakstand, it will rev up to around 2500-3k without spinning the tires. With both times its happened, Im basically at a complete loss. Any other ideas on what may be going on?? Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I got you guys all the details.
Thanks in advance.

Kenny

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
damn, you should be able to spin the tires pretty easily.. i know i can and im all stock.

but sounds like your fuel pump is dying.

·
Former Ram owner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've learned to live with the lack of spin.. its never been able to get 'em spinning unless its either wet or really cold. I think it has a lot to do with the 3.55 gearing... sucks for torque. That was going to be hopefully changing soon to 4.56 but now with the engine acting up, I dont know anymore.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
hmm.. i have 3.55's as well.. and i tow alot.. don't really have a problem butttt i do want 4.10s haha.

·
Former Ram owner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One other thing, and Im not sure if its related, but there is a grounding strap that is just behind the driver's side tire that looks like the bolt broke off b/c its just hanging there. At first I figured it was just the battery to chassis ground, which I have already upgra.ded as part of my stereo, but it has me wondering. Anyone know what that goes to?

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
When was the last time you did a tune up: Cap, rotor, wires and Plugs?

The load issue does sound like it may be the fuel pump, not the transmission.

Engine needs three basic things to run: Fuel, Spark and Air.

Check all three.

·
Former Ram owner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just changed the oil about 2 months ago. Plugs and wires were done about a year ago so they could be starting to go. Cap and rotor have also been a little while. I was planning on doing a full tune-up (cap, rotor, wires, plugs, oil, oil filter, etc) when I did my plenum probably this spring when it warms up a bit... but maybe I'll be doing it sooner than that.. lol. Where is the fuel filter on these trucks? I havent really gotten under to look, but I've heard its in the tank... is this true? The biggest thing that doesnt make sense about it being due for a tune-up is that it runs perfectly fine 99% of the time, and its only these 2 times (so far) that it happened. Other than that she purrs like a kitten... other than an occasional hunting idle when first started every once in a while(I think thats part of the plenum leak).
Any other ideas to look for?

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
No other ideas from me, I have to do my plenum also, I am thinking about the permanent fix of having it welded in place this time.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The fuel filter is integral with the fuel pump which is in your gas tank.

Before you spend a lot of money why don't you put a couple of cans of injector cleaner in your tank. If it is the injectors clogging or water in you gas that should fix it. All you are out is some $20 of cleaner.

I would also check the various connections to stuff on your TB like MAP Sensor, Idle Air Control Motor, Throttle Position Sensor. You should replace your cap and rotor but problems with that usually results in misfire and a code.

If all that doesn't work, there are diagnostics (to long and complicated to cover here) that a mechanic can do to check your fuel pump, fuel rail leakage, and injector problems but if you don't find the right mechanic they will simply start replacing parts and hope to hit on the fix.

Good luck!

·
Former Ram owner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've been running cleaner through around ever 3 or 4 fill-ups to keep the system clean, but I will def. try some more with my next fill up to see. I agree with you on the cap and rotor, which is why I really dont think thats it. I have a pretty good mech. that I go to (when I have no choice but to go to a mechanic... i prefer to be the only one to touch my baby.. lol). So I'll check with him and see. I just wish it was a persistant issue so I would know for sure when it was fixed. I really hate this on/off crap.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Before i did my plenum repair, my truck would do the same thing. It would foul the plugs so bad they just couldn't spark. I would start there. Also had a fuel pump issue. Next time it dies on you, crawl under it and give the fuel tank a couple sharp wraps with your fist, or kick it with your foot. If it starts after that i would say fuel pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.