Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I just bought a 2005 Ram 1500 about a month ago.
I do not have the infinity system and my system is not even tolerable.
I started looking around and considered the RB1, but to be honest I would rather have a mp3 player than gps. I guess they dont have mp3 players that you can get as an option from the dealer or I can not find them.
I guess what I am asking is...I want a system that sounds good. I had a decked out system in my Durango with subs amp etc..etc, and loved it, but i want to try and stay stock (as much as possible) so putting subs in isnt really an option for me, but I will replace the stock speakers and head unit.
If i put some good speakers in would the head unit be descent or do I just need to ditch it as well and get an aftermarket head unit.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated for brands of speakers and head unit. I will end up buying something off of recommendations from here so your help is appreciated.

THanks, Brian

·
Banned
3,902 Posts

·
I need a truck!!!
2,115 Posts
i agree with alpine, ive had sony and kenwood previously, they dont compare to the quality of the Alpine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have liked alpine in the past. So I guess I dont just need to ditch the speakers, but get rid of the stock speakers and the head unit?
Any specific speakers that are recommended?
Thanks

·
I need a truck!!!
2,115 Posts
I will say the sony deck was better than the alpine, but not in sound quality. The rear RCA's on the kenwood blew about 3 times in 4 months. That was a huge PITA. But ive had the Alpine deck for almost 3 years i think with zero problems at all. I couldnt ask for more.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
IMO, if you're gonna put in new speakers- you might as well get a new HU because the old one is still only putting out very minimal pwr. And most aftermarket speakers can handle quite a bit more and will sound better with more.
I agree, can't go wrong with Alpine. As for speakers I have Polk db series, and I would recommend them or some aftermarket Infinity speakers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
BGRAM said:
Hi everyone,
I just bought a 2005 Ram 1500 about a month ago.
I do not have the infinity system and my system is not even tolerable.
I started looking around and considered the RB1, but to be honest I would rather have a mp3 player than gps. I guess they dont have mp3 players that you can get as an option from the dealer or I can not find them.
I guess what I am asking is...I want a system that sounds good. I had a decked out system in my Durango with subs amp etc..etc, and loved it, but i want to try and stay stock (as much as possible) so putting subs in isnt really an option for me, but I will replace the stock speakers and head unit.
If i put some good speakers in would the head unit be descent or do I just need to ditch it as well and get an aftermarket head unit.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated for brands of speakers and head unit. I will end up buying something off of recommendations from here so your help is appreciated.

THanks, Brian
Click on my gallery and you will see my new JVC unit that has DVD capability and Sirius. It will also play what are called MEGA mp3's whick are mp3's recorded on DVD-R's which are about 2000 songs. That is almost as much as a I-Pod will hold.

This unit is available on the internet for under $500 including shipping and the Sirius tuner is about $90 more. The screen is a little small at 3" but you can see fine and there is a zoom function. It also has AV inputs for a game player and AV outputs for extra monitors.

To answer you question about just changing the speakers I say do not even try. I put in Infinity reference speakers about three weeks before I got the Head unit and they sounded worse to me than the stock speakers. After I put in the new head unit and a Amp the sounded as good as my home speakers which are Infinity as well.

I did put 3-1/2 speakers in the dash and the head unit drives them while the door speakers are driven off the 75W per channel amp. You would think the extra power to the door speakers would drown out the 3-1/2's but they really help get the highs up to your ears. The amp I used is a 5 channel alphasonic and the 5th channel is for a sub and has like 200 watts per channel but I have not decided on how to add a sub yet. The 6x9's up front give pretty good bass just not like a good 10" sub will.

I have always had pretty good luck with JVC home equipment and my son has had a inexpensive JVC head unit in his mustang.for over two years with no problems. It sounds as good as a Kenwood unit I had in the F150 I sold to get this Dodge.

Trust me the stock stereo is pretty bad from speakers to Head unit. For what it's worth the factory Head units are made by Alpine and it probably only reproduces from 40-15,000hertz.

IMHO Alpine is pretty good but a little overpriced for what you get. For the same money you can get a Pioneer, Kenwood or JVC unit that sounds as good with more features. This is not a knock on Alpine just don't get caught up in all the hype that they are better than the others just equal. I have seen people talk about Focal(Fitsjsu-Ten) like it is the end all of car stereo and I cannot tell they sound better than Alpine, pioneer, Kenwood or JVC. They do cost more

I think a Jensen will outperform the stock unit.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
i got Boston Acoustics 3-way 6x9 speakers.. and they are awesome.. i dont even have any subs (they are on the way), but i still get compliments about how good my system is..

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do like JVC head units. I had an Alpine in my 2000 Durango for less than a week and returned it and bought a JVC MP3 player and had it for over 3 years and was extremely happy with it. I also had aftermarket Infinity 6200I's in the doors and 2 12's along with a 900 watt Mono amp...I told myself that I would try to keep the RAM stock, but I really can not stand the sounds sytem. I doubt I will go all out and get subs etc, but i have to get it sounding good enough so that I am happy. I really like your DVD JVC head unit and may end up taking a road similar..that or just going with the RB1 or RB4, but from the specs those are not very good quality stereos as far as putting out any power or even sounding good. I guess I will start doing some shopping and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Brian

·
Registered
45 Posts
When it comes to head units, I havent heard any other brand that is better than Eclipse (by Fujutsu Ten) Not untill you get into unamplified comp units anyway. Eclipse is by far the best sound quality on the market. Now if you are looking for all of that fancy dolphins dancing on an lcd screen crap then save yourself some money on a jvc or sony. Eclipse cost a little more but they are focused on making quality product. I got my first one back in 97 and have strayed from time to time but always come back to Eclipse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.