DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with my muffler guy today and here is what we came up with....

He wants to cut just in front of the y-pipe after the cats and run true duals. He says the pipes are 2.25" and he'll run the same size to a dual in / dual out flowmaster 40 series and then duals out however I want them.... I'm thinking this is a good set up and I'll go dual tips out the passenger side where the stock single outlet is.....

What do you guys think? He wants $495 for the whole thing. I know he's making a huge margin but there's no way I could get a decent cat back cheaper....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not a terrible idea. Myself I would be more concerned about the drone factor afterwards because that is Flowmaster's do generally. The one on my 94 was excellent at making that "nice" throbbing sound in the cab at cruise speed. It sounded like crap too, not bad outside the truck but terrible in the cab. Then of course when the MDS kicks in you have the sound issues that will create. It usually amplifies any drone present and then makes a louder truck sound like crap.

I would try and get rid of as much of the stock headpipes as you can. The crossover along the transmission crossmember on my truck is flattened on the side facing the crossmember for whatever reason. I would try and get rid of that, not to mention he will have too if he hopes to hook another pipe on their anyhow.

I would go dual out each side if it were mine. Well actually I would just dump it under the bed because I hate looking at exhuast tips most of the time. I don't see the price being too bad, but be careful with your muffler choice.

I am waiting until I can get longtubes and then once they are available I will be doing true duals myself. I am going to run 2.5" pipe but I am undecided on the muffler. Time will figure that for me.........

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SRT8, do you have a recommendation on a muffler with less drone that I could utilize with true duals?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Honestly, I know this sounds crazy to some but I am going to honestly take some measurements and see about using the suitcase muffler off an LX, namely an SRT8 like my Charger. Free flow design and reasonably controllable for drone. Then just a set of simple resonators at the rear of the truck. If I could make my Ram sound like my SRT8 (car has SLP long tubes, highflows and the stock catback) I would be happy.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=lN9Mch63qAY

Check this link out, it's exactly how my Charger sounds( same setup) and I really wouldn't have a problem with my truck sounding like that. Althought the SRT doesn't have MDS it's a proven decent setup for the MDS equipped 5.7 Chargers as well. Maybe the trucks are different but I doubt it. Both my 94 Chevy and previous 2000 GMC had single in dual out free flow mufflers ( Flowmaster and Ravin) and they would throb in the cab bad enough to give you a headache. I have read that Magnaflow is pretty good in the respect of minimizing the throb. A couple guys at work had Magnaflow setups on an 05 and 06 Dodge and they were very happy with them. Staying with the dual in dual out scheme is nice in that it saves space and gives you a crossover between the two banks.

For more ideas you could ask in the 3rd gen forum. Realistically since our exhausts are mostly the same( in your case probably identical) to the previous gen Rams. 06 and up have MDS and there would probably be some good ideas from those guys as well.

Oh yeah, btw it's STR8, not SRT8 in my user name, lol.

·
dotlow
1,443 Posts
i personally like exhaust dumped under the bed so you don't see the tailpipes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.