DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone. while under the truck the other day i noticed the following. Please see pictures. The is the front drive shaft connecting to the diff. It appears to be a leak/seal problem(im not sure what comonents there are)? The front drive shaft is the one WITH the u-joint grease fitting correct???? I haven't greased anything MYSELF yet, and I was wondering what was going on/and or if the two were related. Looks like if you greased the u-joint, the grease wouldn't be where mine is right now(that far up). The substance appears to grease (black/thick) and does not look like diff. fluid. THanks for all of the help/comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Looks to me like a front diff pinion seal/yoke seal. Check to see if something from engine is dripping there-making it APPEAR to be seal leak.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Looks to me like a front diff pinion seal/yoke seal. Check to see if something from engine is dripping there-making it APPEAR to be seal leak.
x2 had mine replaced before warrn. exp. with the flange facing forward like that maybe they collect grit up in there. ???

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
Front pinion seal needs replaced. :( What you are seeing/feeling is gear lube.

The grease fitting is near the transfer case on the drive shaft.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Looks like a front pinion seal to me too. Just had mine replaced under the lifetime warranty.
Yup, front pinion seal leak had mine done twice. Once under warranty and once out of pocket, cost about $200 at the dealer.

I seams to be problem for me after spending a lot of time in the sand, especially the fine grained sand found in the Mojave desert dunes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey thanks for all the replies. i looked at the service manual and the repair looks pretty tedious (tools i have never seen). Is it a good idea for the dealer to do this? Looks like most of you all have had some help with your warranties. Mine does NOT have any warranty left. And just so I completely understand, is the lube coming from the mysterious u-joint fitting or somewhere else? THanks.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
NO, it is your differential oil that is leaking & you should check the level of the fluid also.

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
There is a shaft coming out from your pumpkin. Your u-joint is in front of it. There is a metal cover that is covering your seal, at the end of that shaft. Between the pumpkin housing, and the u-joint. That's why you can't see the seal.

·
RedMan
2,487 Posts
IMO, any competent shop that knows axles and that you trust would be fine.
I agree with above, if you were closer to me I could do it for yea. The big issues in this type of repair is resetting the pre-load on the pinion bearing

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
I think there is 2 different torque specs also. 1 for a new seal. 1 for reusing the same seal. ( it has something to do with the "crush sleeve". )

·
Registered
101 Posts
I too had the leaking pinion shaft bearing! Dealer fixed it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks all that replied......hopefully this isn't a constant fix on the wagons.......i will try to get some estimates soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts