DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Hook it and Book it!
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between Christmas and the Summer I will most likely be looking or a new tuner. I have an Edge Evo and have enjoyed it and I will keep it for the gauge pod it has, but frankly its outdated with the Superchips and Diablosport out there

Heres my deal. I definitely want the tranny tweaking the Superchips offers, but in the long run I want to do the 6.1 conversion so I want to keep that in mind because I know alot of yall are running Diablosport custom tunes.

I know both are great tuners and are both used around here so in yalls opinion would you go Superchips or Diablosport or Superchips stand alone tranny tuner (if available) with the Diablo engine tuner, keeping in mind that later down the line I want to do some more heavy engine mods that will probably require custom tunes.

Current mods are in the sig. I apologize for any lingo/ideas I got wrong, Im fairly new to the performance game :rck: any advice/ideas would be great!

Rob

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
You can get a custom tune with a SC, by stacking. Someone who has done this will chime in, I personally have not had to yet.

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Stacking can also be detrimental and not recomended. Superchip's trans tuning is not available as "stand alone" so if you're doing the 6.1 conversion or cam and need custom tuning you're out of luck with SC.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
You can get a custom tune for the engine, and transmission with Diablo. Dave(whitelightening) has been doing a lot of trans tunes for some heavily modded trucks, with great success. I will be getting a trans tune from him shortly, as soon as I get a few bucks together, to tune my new converter. Our 07's have come a long way with tuning capabilities, Diablo is a good choice if you plan on the mods you described.

·
Hook it and Book it!
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O really? Nice yea it sounds like it would be a good choice to get now and just tweak later on down the road as my mods allow instead of getting one and switching to another. Could you a trans tune with a fairly stock truck? Also I didnt see much on their website, which Diablo programmer would you recommend?

I did read though in a thread that Sil was advocating to SC about custom tunes, so maybe by the time Im ready to pull the trigger there will be some competition

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Don't hold your breath over SC custom tunes.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
I'd say do a SC now, get the trans tuning pak since you obviously want, that then later on if you do a 6.1 swap, stroker, whatever look for the best tuning you can find at that time, but wait until you need it. any "custom" tuning will add costs and most don't have have free retuning as you mod up.
If you end up modding the 5.7 you can go pretty far with SC as you mod.
FWIW - SC is what I run along with a psc1 and I'm running cam, headers, heads, nitrous...
Now if you want to do a full engine swap, IMO as thats dropped in it would be the perfect time to move to something else and sell the SC or stack on it (to keep the trans tuning). either way at that point, such a major change would be easier dealt with paying someone the $$$'s to tune it for you.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
If your going to mod to the point of custom tuning i say Diablo.You'll get your tranny tuning along with the ability to adjust your afr,spark,throttle sensitivity ect. with the 6.1 swap.(without getting a custom tune till you need it) Getting familure with it now will make it easier when you do get to custom tuning.Yes even a stock truck will benifit from a custom tranny tune.If you go with Dave (W/L) i'm sure he will tweak the tune later once you mod up.

If you decide to go with SC/psc1 get to be good friend's with Randtx.He can work majic with the psc1.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
lol majic, i haven't retuned mine since 08, and that was before heads and pre nitrous. not much magic there aside from hitting it pretty dang close the first time back in 08.

However, I don't think the psc1 is an option for 07's IIRC they reduced the sample rate or something on the map senor, less someone has run one on the newer years.

so the limit of SC is probably more likely cam & headers , nitrous.. (but not heads) without stacking sct on top.
Of course all that is out the window if you don't mod up and rather just make one big mod of dropping in a stroker or srt8 motor in whole.

at some point they probably could "easily" put out an existing SRT8 tune for a 5.7 pcm but I wouldn't hold my breath for that one. they would still "need" to retain the 545RFE trans programming so it still wouldn't be just a couple of clicks and done.

Pitfall of all this is that I think an SRT8 or stroker swap is likely to eat transmissions as snacks much more than about anything short of forced induction you can do with the stock block.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
You can get a custom tune with a SC, by stacking. Someone who has done this will chime in, I personally have not had to yet.
well as of today don't think sct does 07's.
EBH is the only one that comes to mind that stacked diablo on top of sc, IIRC hemifever did the tuning. and actually even with it's 3400 circle d it seems pretty well mannered. I didnt' drive it much though, just a few passes down the track and around in the pits.
Not sure exactly how they pulled that off and kept diablo from overwriting superchips trans tuning.

down the road... who know maybe sct or hp tuners will step up to the plate. or maybe sc would come up with the trans only tune they talked about that could stack on TOP of something else

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Your being modest Randy.I would'nt even know where to start using the psc1.Randy adding the increased air flow of head's did'nt change your afr? (I would of thought that would have had to be adjusted.)

At one time Diablo left the tranny stock unless you adjusted something in the tcm.Now a day's on the newer crom's you have to select a tranny tune with the pcm tune.(they probably done this to deter stacking)So unless they adjusted something in the tcm with diablo it should have left what was in there alone.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Just get the Diablo, pedator or trinity($400-$500) and be done with it. I wish I had gone that route the first time. I first had an Edge Evo, then SC 3865, now a predator(best one out of the bunch IMO), I spent more money swapping and buying different tuners. Get a custom tune and you will be happy.

·
Hook it and Book it!
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys! Lots of good stuff. From what Im hearing is that for what I have now the SC would work pretty well but for what I want to do later the Diablo would be the choice, so I might as well get the Diablo now instead of switching around like Compressor Man said.

Those of you with headers, which ones are you running?

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
pacesetter lt's here...I agree regarding the tuner..early on before diablo got the croms right I would have said sc...but since my last tune from Dave (whitelightning), she's been running REALLY good...

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Actually in this case I'm leaning back to say go ahead and get the diablo. then if it doesn't live up to your expectations.. sell it AND save yourself a lot of money and aggravation by forgetting about swapping in a 6.1 or a stroker. If you did the swap the later found that you truck doesn't get along with diablo you'd really be short on tuning options after investing some $6K-$10K motor swap especially if she started eating transmissions to top it off. such a big and expensive mod might be better to verify you aren't going to have any issues with diablo before you even start really spending money.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Hard to say I've been fighting back and forth with this one too. Most all of the srt gc guys use the diablo so I thought when I bought my truck if and when I got a tuner that this would be a great one to get but since coming on this site alot of guys have had issues and or just like the sc more notsure why but the greatness didnt follow the tuner to the 5.7 truck as much as I saw on the 6.1. For what I'm going to do with my truck mods wise the sc and trans tuning seems as if it would fit my needs better for quite a while.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I am running Dynatech long tubes, I like them so far, only been on a couple weeks. I had been running BBK shorty's for the past couple years, I really liked them, they were a great value for the performance. If you have emmisions to deal with, the BBK shorty's are a good choice, if not, go long tubes. I got my dyna's for a sweet deal, I wouldn't have bought the system new, too rich for my cheap azz.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
dynatech's are nice...if i could find a great deal even on a used pair, I'd swap the pacesetters in an instant..

·
Hook it and Book it!
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you did the swap the later found that you truck doesn't get along with diablo you'd really be short on tuning options
Have there been big issues with people running the Diablo on the 5.7s? Compressor Man have you had any trouble?

I agree Rand itd be better to check it out now rather than later and be kinda screwed, but if the 5.7 is hit and miss that might sway my choice. If theres a thread I should read about Diablo issues hook me up (trying not to get on anyones nerves here) :crazy: :SPIN:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
If you go to checking into it you'll find there has been issue's with both tuner's.It's just the nature of the beast trying to tune so many differant years/pcm's.Most of the issue's get taken care of in later update's/crom's.Don't let this worry you there are a lot more happy customer's than those that have had issue's.(both tuner's) Chance's that you will have issue's are slim.Pick the tuner of your choice and enjoy the benifit's.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.