DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have a 2012 ram 1500 sport with 160k miles. Reading over forums for a week has done nothing but confuse us. Engine is torn down, we can see pitting on 2 cam rollers and one lifter is deformed. I’m the wife and don’t know technical names, please be kind. I’m looking for advise on what we should do. We still owe on the truck and my husband would like to keep it. The vehicle has been properly maintained since we purchased it with an existing 40k.

·
Red Trucker
2,583 Posts
Ok, so you suffered from the lifter issue. Did he take the engine apart or is it at a shop? Regardless, there are three choices here:
1. Stock fix - replace the lifters, at minimum the MDS lifters (I assume the offending ones were from 1, 4, 6 or 7?) but all of them is better insurance and replace with exact same factory cam (part number should be on the cam itself). If the timing chain tensioner recall wasn't done, now would be a good time to do it.
2. Stock fix minus MDS - replace the lifters with non-MDS lifters and use a non-MDS cam. There are companies who actually make kits just for this purpose. Will require a tuner to turn off MDS in the PCM so the MIL isn't on all the time.
3. Performance cam upgrade - replaces all the lifters with non-MDS lifters, uses the performance cam of choice, then requires custom tuning. No more MDS, more power. This strictly for more power and is the most complicated and expensive option of the three.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The truck is at the shop my husband works at. Auto & glass repair. We have decided we want to stay with the MDS lifters. My husband travels quite a distance to work and my understanding is that it improves fuel economy. He spends very little time at idle which we have read can be an issue. Our concern is we will have the same problem again. Much of what I have read indicates a design flaw in these engines. I’m not sure if thats an issue as we never noticed a tick until 6ish months ago. I would think since it took 160k to be a problem we should be fine.

·
Red Trucker
2,583 Posts
A possible issue was time spent at idle, but it needs to be ALOT of time spent at idle. Previous version of this engine didn't have this problem. Lifters and timing chains on certain years of this vintage were identified as having problems (hence the recalls). Get a fresh cam, fresh lifters (replace them all), new timing chain (or at least a new tensioner), make sure the pushrods are straight, fresh head gaskets and new head bolts (head bolts on these engfines are torque-to-yield, which means a certain torque spec, then beyond that so they stretch; not a good idea to reuse them) and put it all back together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A possible issue was time spent at idle, but it needs to be ALOT of time spent at idle. Previous version of this engine didn't have this problem. Lifters and timing chains on certain years of this vintage were identified as having problems (hence the recalls). Get a fresh cam, fresh lifters (replace them all), new timing chain (or at least a new tensioner), make sure the pushrods are straight, fresh head gaskets and new head bolts (head bolts on these engfines are torque-to-yield, which means a certain torque spec, then beyond that so they stretch; not a good idea to reuse them) and put it all back together.
Ok i had misfire on cyl 1,2,5,6...
This is literally my same action plan what u just said to her. So should i trust the non mds lifters in this mds delete kit from AMS RACING? it saves me alota money. Specially since i have to replace the oil pump also and get my heads resurfaced and valve work done

·
Red Trucker
2,583 Posts
Only two out of your four cylinders are MDS cylinders, the other two are not. I am not familiar with their kit; what brand lifters do they use?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only two out of your four cylinders are MDS cylinders, the other two are not. I am not familiar with their kit; what brand lifters do they use?
My question exactly. The 3rd option they offer is Mopar. 2nd cheapest is Comp. but I do not know where the 1st option comes from for AMS Racing V2... I do not know the qualiy of them. and i know already that 4 out of my 8 cylinders are MDS... its. 1,4,6,7.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts