DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new 07 1500 rcsb and I'm trying to decide on what to do for running boards. I like the diamond plate aluminum ones dodge sells, but I can't decide if I want to (or even can) get running boards that also go on the front half of the box. I was hoping you guys here could show me some pics of regular cabs trucks with running boards so I can get a better idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would also like to see that...

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
I got a set on mine, They are 3" stainless tubes wheel to wheel on a regular cab. I will get a picture tonight in the garage. I haven't updated my picture in my signature yet to show them.

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
I was looking for running boards but couldn't find any I liked, They are all that crappie diamond plate and they will rot out in WI from the salt. I wanted full length so I could get into my toolbox, the dealer found these. They where about $500 for 3" stainless and they mount to the cab only.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
some pics from my old '03. not r.board though.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rot out? The ones I was looking at in the dodge 08 product catolog said they were made out of aluminum.

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
Aluminum and salt = corrosion (rot) I had diamond plate boards before and they don't look good after a few years. On my 95 dodge I had extruded aluminum but covered with rubber and they look good now but you don't see the aluminum. Now if you aren't in a state that doesn't have salt or doesn't use much of it you will be OK. In this state they are starting to use the liquid deicer which is worst that rock salt.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. I didn't know that salt could do that much damage. Salt might be a problem because I'm taking this truck to the black hills in south dakota for college so it will see more salt than it would if it were to stay up where I live now. However I don't think the black hills get as much snow(especially since the drought) as Wisconsin so I think I'm pretty safe with aluminum running boards. Just out of curiostity though, how well do the tubular steps on your pickup protect the rocker area from debris like mud and gravel. I was wondering because the main reason I was getting running boards is because I live on a gravel road which in wasn't such a bad deal until the county started salting the roads up here(which doesn't do any real good) because the gravel tend to chips the paint on the rocker area and when you hit the highway the salt goes to work. A combination of mudflaps and running boards seems to help minimize the damage. Sorry for rambling.

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
I was looking for boards for the same reason but couldn't find a suitable board I liked so I put mud flaps on with the bars. The bars I got came from monroetruck.com but I ordered through the dodge dealer since they could get them cheaper than if I went to monroetruck.com myself. They are Iron Cross brand I haven't checked to see if someone else sells them cheaper.

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
They do have powered coated aluminum which are better but if you have the all those gravel roads the bottom sides are going to get chewed up and then the salt will get in. The other option is to line-x the rockers. I see other people on this site have done that. I think if I lived up there I would do that. Here in Wisconsin they only a few gravel roads left but thats why my taxes are so frickin high.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I've got the deflect away trailback running boards I think they are called. Hands down the best running board i've ever had. They keep 100% salt, snow anything off the rocker panels, and are a lot bigger and nicer to step on the nerf bars IMO. The only slight downfall is the looks, i'm not a huge fan, but my truck is over 3 years old and 60k miles and the rocker panels still look like they did from the factory not one chip or anything, and in Alberta we get tons of snow and salt on the roads, and I drive down gravel roads all the time. They do make them for reg cab.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Westin makes a wheel to wheel bar as well. Just an idea, if you want something to go the length of the cab to the bed.

KB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.