DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a post earlier about my great incounter with my distributor, so now I need a new one, should I go stock I can get one for 65.00 at a junk yard or should I upgrade. I need some Ideas, and need to know some prices, I do not want to spend a hole lot of money but I would like a little more power. Thanks

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody have an idea. Come on I need so help here I am going to be heading to New Orleans in about 2 weeks and I don't think my c-clamp will hold together that long of a trip.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I believe you need to replace your distributor with another factory unit. The distributor contains the camshaft position sensor that is required to sync the fuel injection system. I don't think any aftermarket distributor is going to provide that sensor.

When you remove/replace your distributor you will need to hookup a scantool to get the sync corrected.

As far as ignition upgrades, it is possible to install an aftermarket ignition box, such as an MSD 6. It isn't to tough to integrate into the computer controlled ignition system. Some guys with 5.9's have reported a power increase.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
I would get a used one just make sure it has low miles on it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What type of scan tool are you talking about. I think this is a stupid question. But I'd asked anyway.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Just get a factory distributor from makeitmopar.com or search used. Preferably with it still in vehicle so you can make sure it is functional. Either way you can't really go wrong.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Distributer? They still make them things??

Seriously, get a used one or get one from the dealer.

No reason to upgrade if you don't have any serious mods. You'll never notice or measure the difference.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The factory service manual refers to it as a DRB Scantool. The dealer and most repair shops have them. I don't believe the code scanners that AutoZone and such have will do the job.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go figure more money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.