DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
undefinedundefinedundefined Hi Everyone. This is the first Dodge I have ever owned. It is a 1998 Dodge Ram V8 with a 360. My brother has a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado with a 5.3 V8 and it keeps on putting my Dodge down because I dont have as much horse power as he does. What would be the cheapest & easiest way to get more horse power? So far the only thing my Dodge has done to it is Flowmasters 40 Series. All answers & comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dodge-Man

·
Registered
45 Posts
Get you a set of Mopar headers runs about $600, or better yet, get you some NOS a wet system, about $800 from NOS.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just take it a step at a time....first mods usually include air intake, headers, or computer chip....all the easy bolt ons are where you should start...

·
Registered
413 Posts
My first mods were headers, cat back, and performance computer. Next I put in a mild cam upgrade and a set of 4.56 gears. Then I went crazy, check out my signature.

Like 94mopar5.9 said, just do a few at a time until you get what you want.

Good luck with your project.
bob

·
mope
531 Posts
Gray Bear, if you don't mind me asking, how much do you have in your engine, and where did you get it? Is it your original block, or did you get a knew one?
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Everyone For Replying I Appreciate All The Info. Gray Bear I Love Your Truck It Is Sharp. Mines A 1998 Dodge Ram 2WD Regular Cab V8 360 Its Green & Silver. Im Going To Order A K&N Cold Air Induction & A Computer Chip & I Thought About Underdrive Pulleys Do You Think That Would Be Good? I Really Appreciate Everyones Help Thanks Again

Dodge-Man

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would hold off on the chip just yet. I would get CAI, Headers, Cat, Cat-back exhaust, M1 intake, shift kit, maybe gears (depends on your current gear ratio) then get a B&G custom tuned PCM setup for your mods.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Dodge-man-360, thanks for the birthday wishes, I was told I'm over the hill now, so I figure it's ok to speed up now because its all down hill from here. :D I haven't tried the underdrive pulleys yet, I'm going to do some research on them and decide if I want them. If you get them do it as a single mod, and let me know what kind of results you get with that mod.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mope said:
Gray Bear, if you don't mind me asking, how much do you have in your engine, and where did you get it? Is it your original block, or did you get a knew one?
Thanks
Hey Mope, don't mind your asking at all. :cool: I have about 5000 in it so far. I bought a new mopar shortblock that was bored .020 and decked .015 with the cam I am using, so I could do some of the work before I changed engines, but looking back I know now that because of balancing the crank and what that requires, (several parts of your existing engine) I wouldn't have done that added expense. So I would have saved about 500 to a 1000 using my own block. I did all the work myself, except the balancing, and piston mounting. Be sure you choose a shop that is experienced in balancing if you get a stroker. If you decide to do the work yourself, I'll be more than happy to discuss it with you at greater length, if you want. Mopar has a stroker short block available now, comes without the cam.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No Problem Gray Bear. Does Anyone Know A Site Where I Can Order Underive Pulleys From, If You Do Please Let Me Know

Thanks, Dodge-Man

·
Registered
41 Posts
purdueranger,
where did you get the M1 intake, and do you think it was worth the $? was there any "real gain" in rwhp that you felt? thanks for the info {i am also struggling to wake up my 318}

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Everyone. What Do Yall Think About Me Getting A Redline Power Chip (M1-PM) For My 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 360? Do You Guys Think It Will Help My Truck? What Do You All Think All Comments Are Appreciated Thanks.

Dodge-Man

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.