DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Paid Off!!
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 dodge ram and I just bought a 2/4 DJM drop kit. It uses springs in the front and shackle hanger in the back. It came off of a 1997 Ram SST. Should I have any problems putting the kit on my 2001?

· Registered
572 Posts
If theres any fitment issues, I'll take it haha

· Paid Off!!
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out of all these lowered Rams I've seen on here nobody can help me out? I'm mostly wondering about the front springs. I know the rest will be fine.

· Mike
276 Posts
Maybe check to see if part #'s are the same for each truck. Stylin accesories.com has a nice part # layout for you to compare.

· Registered
346 Posts
you shouldnt realy have a issue with the coils fitting..the setup on the trucks are pretty close to the same as far as spring cups..only diff that i know of,might be the weight of the truck itself.but not sure..i think youll be ok....someone correct me if im wrong

· Paid Off!!
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the only difference in the 01 compared to all other years is the way the ball joints mount (Im guessing pressed in vs. riveted in?) then why won't a 2" drop spindle work on the 01 Rams like the other years? :confused:

· Registered
36 Posts
hey low-n-loud, since we are having the same issue here with dropping our 01's maybe we can both get an answer here. you're right about the ball joints, riveted and pressed, im guessing its a clearance issue with the rivets on the 01's.
i did a little more asking and talked to a buddy that has a shop, he seems to think that we would be able to swap control arms with an earlier year model, 98-00 and that would fix our spindle issues. he even went as far as to call a parts yard while i was there and have them priced. $50 each for the lowers and $35 each for the uppers, so its a relatively cheap fix if he is correct.

i guess what im asking is are we able to swap the control arms and will that fix our problems? or is this impossible?
also, do we have to swap both upper and lower or just lower control arms?

not tryin to hijack your thread man, i know this info will help both of us. it would be nice to have this info confirmed by some of the guys here that have run into this before...one way or another we are gonna get our trucks closer to the ground
:rck:

· Paid Off!!
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad Im not the only one in this boat. :cheers:

I have heard that you could do that but haven't had any confirmation that it acually worked for anyone. From what I have heard you only need to do the lowers.

· Registered
36 Posts
nobody knows??

well i guess we are on our own man :dunno:
i wasn't able to go and get my drop kit today but the guy that is hookin me up with it went and got it, i just havent had a chance to see it yet. i will get a look at it tomorrow and i will know exactly what im dealing with.
i have done some more searching online and STILL can't find any definite fixes for the problem we are having. i guess i will know more tomorrow when i see the kit and get some #'s off of it to look up on here and maybe that will lead me in the right direction. i will let you know of anything i find to help our situation.
would still be nice to get some input on here from a few of these dodge truck veterans.... :gr_patrio

· Registered
10,350 Posts
Brake rotors,calipers,hub bearings instead of rotor encased bearings,spindles,balljoints and more are different from 94-99 and 00/01. Just replacing the control arms wont get you able to swap over the spindle alone because on the 00/01 trucks the rotors,calipers,bearings and such wont fit on 94-99 drop spindles without buying all the stuff for a 94-99 to put on your 00/01 to be able to use the spindle.

I am trying to get my sons friend who has a 01 reg cab to come over to the house one afternoon so I can take one tire off and do some comparing of the suspension and parts on his to my sons 98. I started a thread that I was going to try and do this but the opportunity hasnt come up yet.

· Paid Off!!
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I guess that pretty much answers that then. What options do I have if I want to go down another 2 inches in the front? I already have DJM springs.

· Paid Off!!
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the day has finally come. With any luck I should be getting my 2" hangers and 2" coils Saturday afternoon. I already have the shackles on. Hopefully it all works out and I dont mess the rubber boots on my ball joints up. Thats the main thing I'm worried about. Wish me luck! I'll let ya'll know how it goes. :dwave:

· Yea boooyeee!
2,041 Posts
onthaflooron24 said:
just hit the spindle rite where the ball joint is..it should pop out after a few good hits.that way you dont mess with that boot at all.
That or use a bigass pry bar on it. Mine where a stuck wh*re so I had to use a air chizle with a pickle fork on it. But the BJ's where junk anyways. :)

You might be able to get the coils out without breaking the joint anywho, with a good spring compressor.

My DJM drop coils come out with only the tie rod and sway bar disco'd. I can leave the balljoints intact. Ha!

· Paid Off!!
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I couldn't get my stuff put on this weekend. :banghead: I guess I'm gonna have to wait til I have the time and just do it myself. There was a guy that was going to do it a month ago for $120 alignment and all. He turned out to be a douchebag. He found out he had to drop the tank and his shop wanted to charge me $350. F&*K That!!! Another guy said he would do it for $100. He never called me back.A$$HOLE!! I can do it myself, I just don't have a lot of free time to mess with them damn rivets. Hopefully by spring time I will have it on.

Sorry such a long post. :blah: I'm just irritated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.