Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking to get either a 1997 or 1999 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4. Both are autos w/ V8.

What I like to know is the good and the bads about them.

Are there any issues w/ tranny, motor, electrical or drive train (4x4)?

I own a 5400 lbs ski/deck boat that my new 2wd SUV is having problems pulling at our local slick boat ramp, so I am looking at these 2 rams to get the job done. Will I have any issues? My boat trailer does have a Tandem Axel trailer w/ surge brake system.

So if anyone can share your thoughts or comments please do so. I plan to buy either or... by this coming up Saturday. Thanks a mucho!

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
These trucks are both very reliable. Which engine do they have? Some people have had transmission problems with theirs. I personally have never had a problem with any Dodge trans. I towed a 5500 lb. car/trailer combo with my standard cab 5.9 for many years with no issues. Currently towing the same combo with my V-10 QC with no issues(see my gallery).To make it easier on the trans you may have to use low range to pull that boat out of the water, you may not.
Problems I have had on Dodge Rams. Brakes-several warped rotors. Fuel pump. Plenum gasket. EGR valve. Track bar and ball joints and u-joints on a high mileage truck. Cat. converter, I think they are designed to start rattling right after you buy them. Door rust, make sure you check the bottom of the doors where the outer skin and inner structure meet, rust city. Radios, seems that early Ram radios werent all that good. These are the only problems that I have had in Rams since '95.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
Are you looking at a 1500 or 2500?

·
Registered
385 Posts
ive towed 8750 pounds of stones in a 1500 pound trailer with with my 1500 sport shorty. 5.9 auto. she was a little sluggish off the line, and i was taking it easy, but it towed it great and stopped great, that trailer had surge brakes and i had a controller in the truck. i woulnt recomend towing that weight without a brake setup. but it did just fine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all 4 the feedback. It looks so that these trannys in to auto are pretty bad for the 2 year Rams I am looking at.
I will have to take this into consideration since both rigs are close to the 100K mile mark. I really want a dependable rig and has to be a auto. As much as I like driving small imports in manual, full size trucks I really do not dig it. I used to own a 97 F150 supercab 5-spd manual and hated it. Had to sell it. Also my wife might have to drive the truck sometime and she is not good w/ the manual transmissions. Darn-it.

Which year did dodge ram improve on there transmissions (auto)? Thanks all

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
shift_ said:
Which year did dodge ram improve on there transmissions (auto)? Thanks all
Still havent lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I plan to tow about maybe twice a week. And for only about 20-50 miles each way. I do live in the Texas Hill Counrty. If I do get the RAM, I will always tow w/ "OD" off and use only 4x4 at the ramp. Do you guys still think I am at risk to loose a tranny quick with how I will be towing at the weight I pack behind there? Thanks all

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I was going to look now at a 2001 Ram Quadcab 4x4. I was checking the specs and it says it can only tow 4300lbs, is this true??? No way... really??

:(

·
David-2001 Ram Off-Road
2,857 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
towing

i've got 130k on my 97 and tow a 4500lb boat to the nearest lake 4 hours away! Iservice it all the time but have had nothing but great luck so far :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.