DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an old dodge. Was told it is a 57. But I can't find any information on exactly what I have. No badges, no original motor etc. It is a step side dually with 6 lug wheels. Can anyone tell me what i have? If you need more info just ask :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't find a vin. But she has been sitting in a field for the better part of 3 decades. No identifying badges. And no original motor. The motor in it is another mystery for me. It has a nailhead buick motor. I will try to post a couple pics if I can figure out how. The part that has stumped me the most is she's a dually.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate any help I can get. My hubs basically turned me loose on this one. (We do paint/bodywork etc) This is going to be my first solo project. He is doing the drive train and the big stuff but that's it. This is the first truck I looked at (not the only one tho) and I instantly fell in love with her.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Love how the (at least) 30 year old tree grew!

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
On the plastic turn signal covers, you might be able to find a date, it would gets you closer...

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Nice find; step side dually, WOW. ... I shoulda paid more attn whennnnnn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you ! I think she's gonna be a good one. And apparently she's rare because as I've said, I can't find any info on her.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Thank you ! I think she's gonna be a good one. And apparently she's rare because as I've said, I can't find any info on her.
I'm guessing "rare as hens teeth" alright; don't recall ever seeing one around here, butttttt, might not have been smart enough to notice.

... Darn sure it'll be "The star in any parade" that it's in; good luck!!

... I'm already trying to decide if it should be the stock blue, or fire engine red, lol ... Again, awesome awesome truck man.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's definitely the perfect way to sum up her rarity. And I'm gonna stick with the patina look. Since I can't afford to go all original I'm gonna make her a rat rod esque truck. She will be patched and fixed and freshened up but since I have paint and bodywork knowledge I know how to paint her up then take away some of that paint away to make her look back like she does now.
Oh and instead of man you can call me girlie or chick or something to that affect ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your Dodge

Hi Carah,

What you have is a 1957 Dodge D 200, AKA a 'Power Giant'. You can check out my '57 Dodge Town Wagon / Power Wagon in this Vintage Truck section, to compare the nose clips. The nose clip for '57 was a one year only style.....very easy to identify. My Townie is a 'W' series, meaning 4 wheel drive. Your 'D' means two wheel drive. The 200 is 3/4 ton. If it was a 300, it would be a 1 ton and have a 9' bed with a dually rear. The 200 dually is very rare. In all my years messing with these trucks (since '73), I have only ever seen one other D-200 dually, and it is in a town very close to where I live. Great find!!

Also....the 'vin' is on the drivers side frame, just forward of the front spring perch, on the outside of the frame. Info can be gleaned from that. The differences in the front fender wells are because one is a 'W' and one is a 'D'.

Good luck, Mark

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
carah said:
I'm gonna stick with the patina look. Since I can't afford to go all original I'm gonna make her a rat rod esque truck. She will be patched and fixed and freshened up but since I have paint and bodywork knowledge I know how to paint her up then take away some of that paint away to make her look back like she does now.
Oh and instead of man you can call me girlie or chick or something to that affect ;)
Yeh chickie, my apologies, sorry about that; was just assuming a fella in greasy coveralls, lol (missed earlier reference to "hubs", my bad).
... Sound like 57Townie/threads is a good resource!!
... You may have seen this one in MO (recent thread in this forum, OP was undecided if selling whole or for parts)

imgur.com/a/vreBH

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526482

... Just so I get it right this time; "Awesome awesome find Chickie", and it'll look great in stock patina!! ... Just waiting for some updates/pics, and Good Luck with that "rare piece of history"!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks fellas. Yall are being quite helpful . As I said, this has been deemed my baby. The hubs has his project truck (98 f150 with a carbed 393 cleav/or stroker) I used to have a bike but wrecked it a littleover a year ago and he wasnt very keen on the idea of me getying another one (busted my spleen and came close to no longer being here) So our agreement is I stick with 4 wheels. He's gonna do the drive train but the rest is on me. So i will be learning as I go. I am doing my best not to lean on him too much esp since I'm a very stubborn girl. Would you guys have a good suggestion on where I can check for parts and stuff that I most likely won't be able to find at my local napa? I was looking on I believe it was rock auto. And can find most of what I may need there.
I'm planning on getting her up on some jack stands this week and seeing just how rough she is behind her shoes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Figured I would give you guys a little update. We've had a lot of rain so I haven't been able to mess with my girl very much. I do have good news though. The motor that's in her is not locked up, we put a battery to her yesterday and turned the key and she tried to fire! Granted there was no gas because the carb is toast, butterflies are completely seized up and full of dirt dobbers nests. So i have a new carburetor going to be ordered this weekend. Also, I was unaware but she does have a wood floor in the bed. The people before me welded in a steel plate but I got underneath to do some measuring and believe it or not the wood still looks really good, at least on bottom. So i will be cutting out that plate. I still can't decide if I want to leave the motor that's in there or try to make a little money off of it. But I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks fellas for all the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Maybe the stump in the frt bumper is for reflooring the box, lol; on a more serious note, do you know what motor it has (sounded like it was swapped in)
... Is motor suitable for Daily Driver for you?).

Yeh, stick with the safer 4 wheels, your needed to restore that "piece of history" (and supply updates, lol). ... Encouraging that engine fired; good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only thing I know is it is a nailhead buick. As far as size, I have no idea. And keep coming up with dead ends trying to figure it out. I keep goin back n forth on if I want to leave the stump or cut it out. I know it would be something unusual to see. She won't be my daily driver. Motor wise I have 2 options leave the one that's there in it or take the husbands 460 out of his ford dually he has. (I don't want to end up gettin too much money in it right off the start and those are what i have on hand already)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The only thing I know is it is a nailhead buick. As far as size, I have no idea. And keep coming up with dead ends trying to figure it out.

I keep goin back n forth on if I want to leave the stump or cut it out. I know it would be something unusual to see.

She won't be my daily driver. Motor wise I have 2 options leave the one that's there in it or take the husbands 460 out of his ford dually he has. (I don't want to end up gettin too much money in it right off the start and those are what i have on hand already)
LOL, good to know you have options on the stump and motors!!

... Never even heard of a nailhead; "assuming" that means flathead. ... 6, or V8?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.