DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few weeks ago i posted about my truck not starting it was the battery.got 1 sunday and it has started fine.today i drive it to work and it had a popping/banging noise like 2 times.sounds like its from the right side.i go to a stop sign and i let off of gas and it goes dead,starts ok like 5 sec later.then it makes that noise again and i get to work.when leaving work it starts great and pull out onto the road.then it makes noise again and i pull into the parking lot.i get out and try to look .nothing is hanging down or broken from what i see.i put truck in d and go and it acts like the brake is on-it's not and makes a noise,like a grinding sound.it does not want to go forward so i put it in r and back up to park it.i live like 5 mins from work and when left work it happened right away like 3 seconds after i got on the road.the truck is a 86 d150 auto with a 318.i was told i need motor mounts both left side broken and right side missing aswell as a trans mount.i was told i need wheel bearings all 4,center link and brakes,the mechanic did not take the wheels off.what do you guys think i should look at and thank you

·
Registered
1976 Dodge D100 Custom Utiline 360 A-833 OD trans.
604 Posts
Wheel bearings and center link aside, Are you saying you are driving around without motor mounts? I hope I just misunderstood you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Are you saying you are driving around without motor mounts?
I was thinking the same thing, Wow. I'm really not trying to be an a$$ but if you have 167 posts on truck related forum do you really need someone to tell you to fix your motor mounts? I hope I misunderstood that too.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it has 1 mount broken and 1 missing.i talked to a muffler shop and they had a guy go look at it.he had the wheel bearing on rt side has metal shavings on the outside of wheel..he said that it may have locked up and why it made the noise.i am leaving it at work till i get it fixed next week or so whenever i get the parts to come from rock auto.he said he will take it to his shop and cast about $150.00 to do all this

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i have seen both mounts broken in trucks before...it is a big deal and most who do not know what to look for or more to the point what they feel, never even know. Actually it is quite common to see driver side mounts broken.

·
Registered
1976 Dodge D100 Custom Utiline 360 A-833 OD trans.
604 Posts
i have seen both mounts broken in trucks before...it is a big deal and most who do not know what to look for or more to the point what they feel, never even know. Actually it is quite common to see driver side mounts broken.

I hear ya, He is saying one is broken and one is missing, I am sure the fan blade has hit the shroud a time or two now, not to mention the stress on the driveline. I am surprised the mechanic that diagnosed the problem let him drive around like that.

Sounds to me like the wheel bearing finally seized and was the saving grace.

Dolfans,

Get the motor mounts fixed asap, then the wheel bearings and lastly the center link(unless it's is about to pop off then bump the priority) better yet do it alll at once, either way the problems you listed necessitate that you not drive the truck.

Good luck and post back if you have more questions.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am going to order the parts tomorrow i hope from rock auto they are cheaper.i am getting the motor mounts,trans mount,front brakes,and the center link.in town i will get the bearings and the rotors.then i will talk to the shop.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
i am going to order the parts tomorrow i hope from rock auto they are cheaper.i am getting the motor mounts,trans mount,front brakes,and the center link.in town i will get the bearings and the rotors.then i will talk to the shop.
Rock Auto is a great source for parts you install yourself (or a buddy installs) but don't be surprised if a shop cops an attitude over customer-supplied parts. Keep in mind they make a lot of their money marking up parts they order...they may charge you extra if you supply parts to make up the difference. Just something to be aware of...might want to discuss this with the shop beforehand. Who knows, they might be totally cool with using your parts, then again they may feel like you're trying to nickel and dime them. In any case, you definitely want to maintain A-1 relations with whoever is working on your baby.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i told them i was getting the parts except for the muffler.he said the price would be between 100.00 to 150.00

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.