DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to put in the 180* thermostat. I was looking at the housing yesterday to plan my swap and I have some questions.

1). I assumed that it is in the housing that the upper radiator hose attaches to on the motor end?
2) I can only see one bolt, I assume there is two. It almost looks like the alternator needs to be moved in order to get in there. My dad thinks the alternator bracket needs removed. That looks way too involved.

Is it possible to do only removing the bracket that runs from the air cleaner to the alternator bracket, or do I need to remove more? I'd hate to tear apart more than necessary just to find out there was an easier way.

3) Do I use blue RTV to seal the housing up when I'm done?

94' 318M

·
Registered
65 Posts
it super easy to do but then i have small hands so i was able to change my stat without removing the alt. or ac comp. but if you have big hand then simplely take off your S.belt and alt. and remove the 2 bolts and yes you do use blue RTV sealant along with the new gasket but sure to clean bit of old gasket off around the housing.

·
Yea boooyeee!
1,996 Posts
It's up to you. My dad did his w/o removing anything. Had to do it again after it started to leak. I moved my Compressor and my Alternator out of my way. Might have taken an additional 20 minutes, and it made cleaning / installing WAY easier!

I would personally use UltraBlack RTV over Blue (Or atleast UltraBlue) They have a suspended polymer that seals small gouges n such better.

*I've taken Permatex Traning Courses*

It's an easy job, just remember. a VERY THIN layer is all you need. VERY THIN! Don't layer the stuff on there so thick that it squeezes out all over the place. This doesn't help anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.