DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a sound system, however I do not know what brands/units to get. I've never purchased a quality sound system before, and would like to pay in the range of 800 - 1000.. installed. I've been told buy a sales guy at a local store I would be needing the following.

In dash radio (Sirius compatable)
**Salesman recommended**
1. Pioneer 7700 - 280.00
2. Eclipse CD5435 - 350.00
3. Kenwood 589 - 280.00

Amp 4ch
**Salesman recommended** 65.00 install
1. Audison SRx4 - 420.00 60x4
2. Rockford P4004 - 300.00 50x4
3. Eclipse EA3422 - 250.00 60x4

Speakers 2 front w/ tweeters 2 back.
**Salesman recommended**
1. Eclipse 6x9 - 200.00 *free install
2. Eclipse 6 1/2 - 160.00 *free install
1. Alpine 6x9 - 150.00 *free install
2. Alpine 6 1/2 - 150.00 *free install
1. Infinity 6x9 - 120.00 *40.00 install
2. Infinity 6 1/2 - 100.00 *40.00 install

Subwoofer
**Salesman recommended**
MTX 2 10'' subs with enclosure - 399.99
(told only one available for the dodge ram quad cab)

Sub Amp
Rockford P5002 - 349.99 *55.00 install
Eclipse PA4212 - 300.00 *55.00 install

Parts - 200.00

Ok, now I don't expect the average person to sort through this mess and tell me what to do.. but maybe someone that is knowledgable in this, might be able to gloss it and tell me if it's a rip off, great deal, crappy product, good quality. I've never even heard of audison.. some Italian company. However.. if someone is bored of just plain has the time.. if you could reccommend some items here that are good, and or prices.. and set me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.. I just seem so lost and open to being over charged in this area. Thanks all, hope you are intrested in assisting me :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be cheaper getting it all on the internet.. most things are.. however all the places I talk to frown upon buying things somewhere else and installing it. Best I might be able to do.. is have a company install everything, and purchase the mtx subs and box from crutchfield.com and install that myself, it's 314.00 online compared to 399.00 at super autobacs :)

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
if you could install it yourself, that is always the best way to go.. but if they could install it for you, for that cheap of installation prices.. you might want to go that way.. When i bought my deck, 4 channel amp, and speakers.. i was told it would cost a couple hundred for them to install it.. and i decided against that.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
The way i've found to get the cheapest deal on car audio.. is simply do a google search for the exact item you want.. and find the cheapest price (before shipping).. and then see if cardomain.com has it.. then use their 105% Price Garantuee and they give Free Shipping on most items.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I probably could only install the mxt subs and enclosure, because it is already set up and ready to go.. but I couldn't intall everything myself, I wouldn't even know where to start.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
i didnt install my own.. but my dad did, and he didnt have a clue.. he just had the tools he needed, and installed it.. there are all sorts of step-by-step guides throughout the internet.. and im sure the people here can help you with any problems you have.

and, as far as actual brands.. i really cant help that much lol.

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
Do the door speakers yourself at least. Wiring is painless and you can replace all 4 speakers in under an hour. I replaced my 6x9's with alpine for $65 and 30 minutes. You might also look at putting the amp and sub in yourself and then just have the installer who replaces your head unit wire it up to the amp. Depending on what you want out of it, you may be able to bypass the 4-channel amp and save some dough. Your above lists comes to almost 2 grand so cutting the 4-channel might be a good option. You can always add it later.

·
ITS SO SLOW !
1,653 Posts
i will help you with any of the installs it is all very simple and i could walk you through it over the phone with no problems get the cheapest price and let me know when you are ready , thats why they are more expensive the free install is added in so its not actually free

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hemi_outlaw said:
i will help you with any of the installs it is all very simple and i could walk you through it over the phone with no problems get the cheapest price and let me know when you are ready , thats why they are more expensive the free install is added in so its not actually free

Yeah, I've noticed the "free install is added in so it's not actually free" thing too. Bast...s ! I just need to figure out what items are good brands and which aren't. I have no clue of the quality of products.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
my current setup includes an alpine deck w/ alpine multi-channel amp powering boston acoustics speakers.. then once i can get a gas tank, i will be adding pheonix gold 12s powered by a pheonix gold mono amp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Man, you folks could use some experienced advice on audio:

First get GOOD equipment, NOT pioneer, kenwood, alpine, eclipse, audiobahn, non of that is even reasonably good unless you get the high end stuff like kenwood excellon, etc. Stick to known good companies: For speakers and subs and amps, infinity, cadence, mtx, kicker, lightning audio, and pheonix gold. For decks, Blaupunkt, Panasonic, kenwood excellon. Don't buy Sony, they are the worst! These companies provide much better sound for the same general price, and the equipment will last longer (Cadence will outshine anything out there.) You should be able to find a couple sets of speakers for around $60 each, a decent 4 channel amp for around $200 and a sub with box for around $200-$300 (may not be a custom one, but should easily fit, I have a 1500 extended with TWO 12" subs and still have room for 4 people). Installation can be done by ANYONE, installers are a rip off, I should know, I've been one for 15 years :) Do some simple searches and get the deck and speaker color codes, the12volt dot com is a great place to start. Grab a phillips screwdriver, a pair of wire cutters, and some blue wire splices from ace hardware, and then play match the color, it really is simple. And take hemi_outlaw up on his offer, once you get started you'll realize you don't even need help. Cardomin dot com is a great resource as well as a decent company to do business with, but you can usually find the same things on ebay for less, and they don't match price with companies that aren't authorized distributors of the equipment you're looking for, usually. Also use crutchfield to find the proper sizes of speakers and decks, or check out the audio manufacturer, they usually have fit guides.

Hope some of these tips help, let me know if you have specific questions, I've used pretty much all the gear out there and can toss out recommendations on anything you guys might need. Oh, and avoid Sony, in case I forgot to mention that.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
You should really check out ebay for Phoenix Gold amps, they are really good, clean power and ALOT cheaper than most comparable amps, (on ebay that is).
Also, if you have a buddy that has even a little experience with car audio, you should really give it a try yourselves. It's not difficult, just time consuming.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I purchased everything for my sound system off of Ebay. I just did alot of research on the different internet sellers and made sure they had excellent feed back as well as warranties, etc. Then I had a friend install it at his shop. Some of the things I installed myself; however, for all the wiring and electrical issues I left it to the installer. Pics in gallery and equipment in the sig. All new off of Ebay. No problems and all sounds good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Right now I have replacement door speakers and a sub but I want to get this stereo I have listed. . I woulnt run 6x9's in your front doors with a 4 channel amp. You will have plenty of bass with your subs. Just get 6 1/2 front and rear and have them make a plate so they fit(about 40 bucks) and get component speakers front and rear.

Here is mine:

Head unit
Alpine CDA-9831 $400.00

Speaker Amp
MRV-545 $350

Speakers
F Diamond Audio D661 $200
R Diamond Audio D661 $200

Sub amp
Alpine MRD-m605 $250

Subs
2 JL audio w3v2 $400

Wires
STINGER SWCKH44 Kit w/ Cap $250

For my box Tweeter is going to build me a custom fiberglass sub and amp rack for 350.

Comes out to $2400 bucks and I would install it myself. Install would most likely be about 400 bucks for all of it at a reputable shop. This system would have nicer speakers and harder hitting subs.

If i was going to use any of that stuff i would use any of those head units, the eclipse amps and infinity speakers. If you want to save some money dont get a 4 channel amp because those head units have decent ones built in.

That was a lot of writing...

·
ITS SO SLOW !
1,653 Posts
good for you hope it sounds great and what is up with audiobahn bashing ive been using them for years and they are high end with a better warranty than any other ive seen , i have been dealing car audio and installing for a very long time and i dont think i would sell junk my personal system is all audiobahn and sounds better than the twice as expensive infinity and cadence systems, not trying to pick a fight but everyone has an opinion i just dont agree with it . if you like who cares what anyone else thinks why talk about other peoples stuff

·
ITS SO SLOW !
1,653 Posts
i run bass blockers on my 6x9s in the front and they sound great but then again its all in what you like lots of crisp highs and deep hard hitting bass is my deafening choice

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ive gone through at least 10 different sound system setups and the only one ive been truly satisfied with is mine now. I have All Eclipse Speakers( 6x9 and 61/2) and Eclipse 10" subs, and Eclipse CD player, and a MTX amp. Go with all eclipse if you can, its some of the highest quality stuff ive ever heard. (besides the top notch stuff...Boston, MB Quart, Rainbow...)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From what I was hearing.. Eclipse was supposed to be really good stuff. No one has mentioned anything about the Audison SRx4 - 420.00 60x4, so I assume no one knows anything of it. I like rock and alternative music, so a set up for that preference would be best. As far as any specifics, I have Sirius Sat radio already, so I need a Sirius Deck that I can use.

BTW Sirius kicks arse!

XM - HipHop, Rap, Pop, Baseball, and Nascar.

Sirius - Rock, Classic Rock, Alternative, BasketBall, and NFL Network Football.

If anyone is intrested in the main differences.. everything else.. music, comedy, entertainment, general sports, and news & traffic are the same for each.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.