DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, basically my radiator took a crap on me and I need a new one. I just got the car last Thursday and I'm not sure on which one I need. I have a 1996 dodge Neon Highline 2.0L SOHD. The one I have was made in Mexico. So if anyone can help me with my little problem here, I'd appreciate it, a lot. Thanks.
-Jenny

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Any radiator out of a 1st gen neon. 95-99 will more than likely fit! BUT!!! If you go tot he junk yard to get one you mght just be getting another one thats about to take a dump..........IF you get a new one from Dodge they will tell you which one you need by your serial #. Thats what I did when mine sprouted a hole. They are quite expensive to replace but well worth the cash over a used one that has no gurantee that it's going to last a month.

How do you know the rad took a dump? Is it leaking? Clogged up? Or is the car just running hot all the sudden? Some places flush and clean out radiators for a small fee. If the rad isn't leaky or beat up too bad this might be an option to paying a couple 100 bucks for a new rad. I forgat just what my new one cost after it sprung a leak.
Good luck Jenny!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, here's what happened.... I was at work and had to go home for a few minutes, it was aound rush hour. I'll admit there was traffic but it wasn't a lot, I think I only stopped in traffic maybe like 2 or 3 times so it didn't really get the chance to overheat. So I pull in my driveway and turn off my car and the second I shut the door, smoke starts coming from the hood, so I go inside to get my dad and I walk back out and there's coolant draining all over the ground. My dad looked at it, thought maybe it was the thermostat but that worked fine. Then he thought it was the coolant temperature sensor, but it wasn't. He ended up pulling out the radiator and there were holes in it. He poured water in the top and it all leaked out.

Now, keep in mind, I just bought the car last thursday. I don't know too much about them other than they're good cars and they're easy to break into. I pay attention to the gauges pretty often while I'm driving and I don't remember a light coming on saying that the car is overheating or the temperature guage getting hot. So I don't know. Thanks.

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
OH I see! If the guage didn't peg then it didn't overheat. It just might have been weak joints or worn spots where the rad was thin and gave way under the heat.

I am pretty sure any 95-99 Rad will work. Easy to install too. I did mine at work in about 40 min. It actually went better than I imagined. Easy as pie! Just get yourself a Manual on the car and go get your hands dirty girl! lol I respect anyone who does their own work especially women! I see too many of them who couldn't change a flat tire! Alot of guys too! LMAO My freinds wife is the best one of all.... She had never put gas in her vehicle!!!! Can you imagine being almost 30 and not even knowing how to operate a gas pump!!!! LMAO. HATS OFF TO YOU IF YOU DO IT YOURSELF! Or have your Dad stand by for a helpin hand. It will give you confidence and save you a few 100$ in labor. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Also, I took the car to an auto tech teacher so he could look it over, he said it looked fine other than my motor mount looks like it needed to be replaced. So could that have an effect on the holes in the radiator? Could the engine's rocking cause the engine to put holes in the radiator or fan blades to hit it?

And I have two pictures of the radiator, the forum wont let me post them up and it wont let me put a url either. So they are in my garage link.

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
The picture of the Radiator is loading up.
How do the fans look or do you only have one? I can't see the motor moveing enough to damage the radiator like that! WOW! Maybe something flew up from the tire and got beat around by the fan.

If you don't know when the time belt was changed or if it even has been changed you might want to do that. They have a tendancy to break and reep havoc on internal parts such as valves,pistons ect.

Also if the factory motor mount is not completely torn to bits you can buy Prothane inserts that stiffen them up. Alot cheaper than buying mounts at the shop. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.