DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- I own a 1999 3.2 liter Intrepid with 95,000 miles.
The car stalls after being driven for about 10-15 minutes. The dealer told me it was a fuel pump problem. Dealer replaced fuel pump and I'm still having the same problem. dealer does not know the problem - per dealer. The car stalls with NO WARNING. The power steering goes out, RPM goes to zero. Usually happens while driving at speeds of 35-45mph. One more thing, I live in Chicago and during the winter I usally have no problems. The car acts up when outside temp is 65 deg. plus. ???? Sensor??? Oil pressure??? Could sure us some help !!

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
Definitely an intermittant heat related problem. Since the dealership doesn't really know how to diagnose (their techs may not really know what to do), you may want to go see another dealership or independent repair shop to diagnose your problem.

I think it is ignition related...but my words don't really mean much because I cannot get under the hood.

Good luck.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
Oh...and where are my manners?!

WELCOME TO DODGETALK.COM!!! Hope you find that this place can help you out with more than just automotive troubles.

Hope you enjoy this site and post regularly.

·
2.7 Trauma Surgeon
963 Posts
I would drive the car or run it-- until it quits, get yourself a fuel pressure gauge & a ignition spark tester, and when it dies, check for fuel pressure (valve is located near #3 coil pack on drivers side) and spark (check at at-least 2 cylinders). If you have no fuel, check your fuel pump relay-- could have worn contacts and be heating up and failing-- no spark-- then check or replace the crankshaft sensor-- if you have no fuel or spark, check the auto shutdown relay in the fuse panel-- it may be worn (but normally this will throw a check engine light)-- if none of this does it, then the ecm may be at fault--

·
Registered
5 Posts
regardless of which sensor might be bad. its best to take the car on a test drive, have a portable scanner read what all the sensors are doing and when the car dies. go through a data stream to see what is wrong. could be anything. thermo coolent sensor or computer is my two cents worth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Similar Problem

I had a similar problem with my '94......it turned out to be the cam shaft sensor (it could turn out to be the Crank shaft sensor as well).

Hope that helps you out too.

Xolo

·
Registered
177 Posts
You can get a free program and a diagnostic interface box ($80.00) from www.obddiagnostics.com. Hook the car up to a laptop and run the program and see whats going on as you are driving. A helper might be good for this type of test! You can then track alot of the inputs your computer is seeing and find the failure. My wifes 94' Caravan did the same thing. It turned out to be a crankshaft sensor. But if you intend on owning cars that are newer than 96' this set up is really handy! It will work on very basic computers and is available in Windows and DOS formats. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another easy check is to investigate the wires at the camshaft sensor the connectors can have loose contact at this point (poor design) also (and this happened to me) make sure the 3 wires haven't heated together about an inch or 2 on the harness from the connector harness side. The wires there can look fine but if they stick together from the heat at that point, they will experience an EMP effect that will make the sensor give intermittant false signals. Just pull them slightly apart so air is between them. As this problem progresses, eventually the car won't start at all because no spark all due to no camshaft sensor sync signal but the dtc code will be 54 no fuel sync and probably 11 no signal reference. The check engine light will not be on. This (code 54) might be why the dealer thought fuel pump. Your PO codes might differ slightly because your car is newer than mine and uses ODB-2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.