DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD. When my ignition is in the "OFF" position, the only thing that I have found to work are the brake lights. Everthing else that should be working with the key off (the keyless entry, interior lights, headlights, etc.) all act like the battery is dead. When the key is turned to any other position everything but the radio works and the doors will not lock. I do have an aftermarket stereo with two amplifiers installed so I thought that could be a place to start troubleshooting but during my search on the internet I discovered some others that have had this same issue. However, I haven't been able to find where anyone has posted finding the solution to this issue. I have an electrical schematic for my truck but I wanted to see if anyone that could give me any information before I start ripping into the wiring. Thanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome to the club buddy! Sounds a low voltage to me, take time to test those voltage to see if the meet the required.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Because everything comes on when the key is turned on and the truck cranks with no dragging, I assume that the battery is providing enough voltage. Maybe the computer has a "limp mode" that kills all the power until it is required for cranking. I can hook up my battery charger to it and see if the interior lights come on with the key off. It still doesn't explain the radio not getting power when the truck is running though. I am beginning to think that there is an ECU or PCM problem. I will update once I connect the battery charger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery read 13.06 volts before I put the battery charger on it and still nothing is working with the key off. I put the battery charger on it and still nothing. The wiring diagram that I have just shows the PCM as a "black box" with no information about the inputs or outputs.

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
These trucks act very funny when the battery is bad. Even though yours shows 13.06 Volts, it the Amperage these trucks are very picky on. However, I don't think that is your issue. I haven't seen a bad battery do this sort of action before.

Do you want me to move this thread into the 3rd Gen section so you get more hits on it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.